Figgie's build: Project Rodknox

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Does this require 18" and larger wheels?

It's so damn gorgeous. Haha!
Reminds me of the front brakes on an Audi E-Tron.
Calipers are enormous.

Reactions: figgie

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Does this require 18" and larger wheels?

It's so damn gorgeous. Haha!
Reminds me of the front brakes on an Audi E-Tron.
Calipers are enormous.
According to Ceika, they say 20". I think HRE might be able to squeeze 19" on those but i will need to talk with them on that. Honestly i thibk it will depend on wheel barrel size and the face design.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
What tires are you going to run? I read an article awhile back about the Camaro ZL1 1LE, and how they had to add knurling to the wheels to get the tires to stop spinning on the wheel due to the grip of the tire and the power of the brakes. Crazy stuff.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Haha. Now that is cool!
Enhancing the tire bead adhesion.

Just shows how far we are to pushing vehicle limits these days.

Figgie will you be able to run down a ZL1 1LE? :)

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Haha. Now that is cool!
Enhancing the tire bead adhesion.

Just shows how far we are to pushing vehicle limits these days.

Figgie will you be able to run down a ZL1 1LE? :)
Who knows, those things are engineered right! It is like every iteration (regardless if Chevy or Caddy and their V series) they just continue making the cars faster, brake short distance and not gain to much weight. It is crazy. I wonder if that is a race car feature on those single bolt axle based rims and I wonder if it can be added to rims after the fact or while manufacturing.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
If you have access to a lathe that's big enough to spin the wheel, you could knurl the bead mating face. You could probably build a crappy jig to do it on a wheel balancer if you needed to.

I just mention it because those brakes are huge, so if you are going to be forced to run 19" or 20" wheels, you won't have a lot of tire sidewall. Add in sticky tires, and it would be fun to see if it's an issue for you. You can always mark the wheel and tire with chalk to see.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Nothing better when you buy something and it fits spot on. Here are the rears, as you notice, the oem parking brakes removed.

Oem rear
20210114_205332.jpg

OEM Parking brake temoved
20210114_205418.jpg

Oem vs new (380mm)
20210114_205356.jpg

380mm rears
20210114_210458.jpg

I would say perfectly centered.
20210114_204946.jpg

92nsx

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Rednox, or looks like rice rice baby project needs more then 330 ish posts!!!. The living legend Figgy! Man your a wealth of info!! Good to see your in the mk3's still.

Probably has a red engine in the plans, motec dash and computer, some crazy aircraft wiring and fittings. Along with loads of exhaust back pressure . Probably blow the welds clear off on the intake, hahahaha.

• Haha

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Rednox, or looks like rice rice baby project needs more then 330 ish posts!!!. The living legend Figgy! Man your a wealth of info!! Good to see your in the mk3's still.

Probably has a red engine in the plans, motec dash and computer, some crazy aircraft wiring and fittings. Along with loads of exhaust back pressure . Probably blow the welds clear off on the intake, hahahaha.
"Danger to manifold!"

• Haha
Reactions: 92nsx

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
This car sometimes leaves my head scratching.

Some stuff was nuts, then i run into some tidbits that is not to shabby.

20210117_121956.jpg

Incase it us a bit hard to read,

HU3635
which cross reference too tokico premium shock.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
What does .5mm off in a part look like?

20210118_114706.jpg

20210118_114723.jpg

Measured width of the Ceika is 50.01mm
20210118_115029.jpg

Measured width of the tokico is 49.5mm
20210118_115005.jpg

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
The sleeve in the ear should move - strong, but move.
Can be filed with a sander.
Not sanding it down, yet.

That sleeve is not going anywhere as it is crimped in place. Maybe in the 87-88 supra it is but this one, 89. Nope.

For now, i am waiting but should have an answer in which direction to go. My guess it will be redone as the measurements dont match the tokico and the tokico's were .5mm narrower meaning any one else ordering these will also run into that fitment issue.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
is that , like that little bushing thing in the alternator mount? or is that lip machined into the spindle? almost looks like a little bushing you can smack out the way with a brass punch...‍♂
Well it is this, i can tell you that it is hard enough that it did not bend when i put the full weight of the car on it.

20210118_151714.jpg

20210118_151656.jpg

If you look closely at this, you will see where the shock bushing was loosing the fight.

20210118_152235.jpg

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I was asked about the r35 ignition coils.

On the left is the stock R35 ignition with the stock boot.

On the right is the r35 coil with the platinum racing 1jz/2jz stalk.

20210126_210306.jpg

Purchased from

Be aware

The platinum racing stalks do not allow the ignition coils to stay in place and as such require the middle oil galley cover to be modified to allow mounting of the ignition coils.

Last edited:

GC89

BoostRodeo
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Interested to see your opinion of the Ceika Coilovers, I have not heard any reports from anyone with them yet.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Interested to see your opinion of the Ceika Coilovers, I have not heard any reports from anyone with them yet.
Unless the company (regardless of brand) really messes up the valving, it should be pretty good. I do know that these "type 1" are 12 way adjustable but they are not independent adjustability for rebound and dampening like ohlins, Penske, QA1 etc.

Last edited:

andrew_mx83

Authorized Seller
Hell of a brake package!!

I agree those sleeves for the shock bolts should slide in/out to take up any slack, and are probably just rusted in place.
Give them a good wack axially with a hammer and they should move

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hell of a brake package!!

I agree those sleeves for the shock bolts should slide in/out to take up any slack, and are probably just rusted in place.
Give them a good wack axially with a hammer and they should move
I am holding off on that as Ceika is sending me new lower bushing to test fit.
With that said, i will see if i can get it to move and that might address the .5mm interference issue.

The Tokico fit perfectly fine.

Last edited:

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Couple of updates.

1. I should have named this Poopra ADHDLVL100. LOL

2. Ceika sent me new lower bushing at 49.0mm. Fit perfectly.

20210201_124241.jpg

3. I just removed the fuel pumps. It came with 2 x gss341, 255lph fuel pumps
20210201_125151.jpg

4. The fuel pump hanger was a giant cluster fuck of hackery.
20210201_125616.jpg

5. This is the interesting item.
20210201_125057.jpg 20210201_130737.jpg

What you see here is a run of the mill TI automotive Brushless fuel pump. The catch is that the GERMAN car manufactures have been running these pumps in most of their cars since 2013 and upon my research, since 2008 to include their SUV's!!!
Specifically it is a BMW 16-11-7-212-585 which comes out of the X series of SUV starting in 2008 until present. I know the M5 and M6 also run these pumps.

Or put another way...

From their 200hp 4 cylinders all the way to 4.4L 600hp M series. One fuel pump, different programming based on intended use.

I will need to address the fuel hanger. Another item to make...

Here is a side by side of the 255lphs and the 550lph pumps. The 255lph look like toys.

20210201_131830.jpg
Other item of note. Seeing as the "E5LM" is brushless, I might take on using an ESP32 for Brushless control but unlike RC cars that have only 3 wires going in as they use a bipolar design, this uses 4 wires, three positive and one ground.. Which makes it a unipolar design (gee, why does this sound familiar!!!).
Also of note is that on the casing, it clearly states 12v to 16v...
Want to guess who is running these suckers at 24v for 1150LPH worth of fuel from one pump?

Last edited:

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Update on suspension.

Magic number...49.5mm width MAX on an untouched rear suspension mount. 50mm WILL NOT FIT. Yes .5mm is a massive difference on a press fit item.

20210203_180048.jpg

20210203_180443.jpg

Reactions: Piratetip

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
That's pretty cool how fast they got back to you with the correct part. I'll definitely look at their systems when it comes to upgrading my car.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Here is the ceika coilover plus the air cups installed in the rear.

1 corner down...3 to go.

20210203_192028.jpg

Last edited:

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
That's pretty cool how fast they got back to you with the correct part. I'll definitely look at their systems when it comes to upgrading my car.
Yes. Honestly it is hard to argue against numbers which i provided. It reminds me of when i used to work at Best Buy doing quality assurance/development for their in-house products. I had to come back with hard data to get the developers to adjust the issue (ie i am getting a 25 ms lag on "bael" game controlle input vs when using model y, i get less than .82ms lag input).

The bushing they sent me was 49.0mm which was still a nice fit.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
back on the ibooster adapter.

After getting the measurements squared away with the 3d Printing, now it is getting closer to the finished product. Next step, off to get CNC bids.
edit: updated the picture to reflect rendering in 6061.

iboosterAdapter_V5.jpg

Last edited:

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
It is blistering cold here (0 degree F for the high) so i have been working on another part as I wait for quotes.

1612827397184.png

this is a fuel pump hanger. As always the MA70 crowd gets left out while the MA80 group gets all the nice parts.

Rapid prototyping commencing... this will be one of those parts that might stay a pipe dream though.

20210208_180904.jpg

Last edited:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Parts like that will definitely come down to profit/cost. Can you sell it and make it worth your time? That said, I'd be interested in a part like this, for the right price.

Can you add a bulkhead mounted connector too to power the pumps? Like this maybe? https://www.efihardware.com/products/3240/6-pin-eletrical-bulkhead-weld-on-kit

What size are those threads? It looks pretty close to thread in an oring boss fitting.

On a 3d printing related note, have you seen Colorfabb PA CF filament? You might be able to print functional prototypes with it.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
The MKIII crowd in general does not have the funds to get stuff like figgie is making.
There are always a few exceptions, but usually stuff is just cobbled together.
Always has been that way.

At the most I bet he would sell 5 initially.
Then maybe 2-3 a year after that, maybe.

@figgie 0 F eh?
It's been -10 F here, with the wind chill something like -30 probably.

I know it's super cold here when the moisture at the corner of my windows inside freezes solid.
Windows are only a few years old too, so they are not junk.

Fun times in the north.

I still tear my diffs down outside in these temps, in a non heated garage.
Fingers start loosing feeling after awhile.

Last edited:

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
So is this hanger for the E5LM pump? It seems the length would make it hard to fit in the short MA70 tank. Its quite an impressive pump. Far more flow than I'll ever need.
1612835561641.png

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Parts like that will definitely come down to profit/cost. Can you sell it and make it worth your time? That said, I'd be interested in a part like this, for the right price.

Can you add a bulkhead mounted connector too to power the pumps? Like this maybe? https://www.efihardware.com/products/3240/6-pin-eletrical-bulkhead-weld-on-kit

What size are those threads? It looks pretty close to thread in an oring boss fitting.

On a 3d printing related note, have you seen Colorfabb PA CF filament? You might be able to print functional prototypes with it.
This one is incomplete...

You are correct, the threads are -10 ORB. I did not put electrical as that can be done later and for myself, i am still debating what i want go use.

Technically speaking, PETG is alcohol resistance and gasoline resistance

The MKIII crowd in general does not have the funds to get stuff like figgie is making.
There are always a few exceptions, but usually stuff is just cobbled together.
Always has been that way.

At the most I bet he would sell 5 initially.
Then maybe 2-3 a year after that, maybe.

@figgie 0 F eh?
It's been -10 F here, with the wind chill something like -30 probably.

I know it's super cold here when the moisture at the corner of my windows inside freezes solid.
Windows are only a few years old too, so they are not junk.

Fun times in the north.

I still tear my diffs down outside in these temps, in a non heated garage.
Fingers start loosing feeling after awhile.
Well 0 when i posted lol. we are getting into the negatives nightly. Yeah, i am not that hardcore to be working outside.

So is this hanger for the E5LM pump? It seems the length would make it hard to fit in the short MA70 tank. Its quite an impressive pump. Far more flow than I'll ever need.
View attachment 85296
It is,

Funny enough, the EL5m is about 2 inches taller than the TiA GSS341. The E5LM is more narrow. The gotcha is that the "E5LM" needs a fuel pump controller since that is the crux of beushless motors