Figgie's build: Project Rodknox

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
rapid prototyping,

Here is a 1/2 a template adapter for a transmission with more gears. This half is the transmission side.

Next is saying good bye to the R154 and ALL of the R154 mating components and work the engine side. Then put in a blender and mix them both to produce a working transmission adapter.

Then a flywheel, and input shaft adapter and off to the races in mating it all up.

20201026_082934.jpg

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Back on the ibooster adapter.

So it fits, the length is off so going to have to make a bracket.

20201026_150319.jpg

It is short by 23mm which sinks the brake pedal in to much.

20201026_150346.jpg

The bolts you see sticking out of the red adapter are the adapter bolts. They are an interference fit so i did not want to press them in quite yet.

Now i have to make an adapter for the booster to pedal. The pin and width fit perfectly though.

Last edited:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Does it just have a threaded section you could swap with a longer one?

For the trans, are you trying to use stock parts (clutch, throw out bearing) with a modified/new flywheel? Or going everything new?

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Does it just have a threaded section you could swap with a longer one?

For the trans, are you trying to use stock parts (clutch, throw out bearing) with a modified/new flywheel? Or going everything new?
Might as well answer forthright. :)

I am attempting to go DCT specifically the

Gs7d36BG from the 13-18 BMW M5.

I have the transmission already which is what i have been working on.

20201026_175141.jpg

I got close but need to adjust the mounts as the 3d printed part is offset.

20201026_175411.jpg

20201026_175621.jpg

20201026_175428.jpg

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
DCT eh? Wow, that will be quite the change. It will definitely be a unique sounding MKIII shifting a DCT at full throttle.

I just looked up pricing on those, and wow they are cheap. Found a few for ~$1400, seems like it would be a great option versus a built a340 for someone with moderate power goals.

About your 3D printing, have you taken into account shrinkage? Just something to be aware of if you are printing large prototypes like that, you might get the print perfect and then discover a cut part isn't the same.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
DCT eh? Wow, that will be quite the change. It will definitely be a unique sounding MKIII shifting a DCT at full throttle.

I just looked up pricing on those, and wow they are cheap. Found a few for ~$1400, seems like it would be a great option versus a built a340 for someone with moderate power goals.

About your 3D printing, have you taken into account shrinkage? Just something to be aware of if you are printing large prototypes like that, you might get the print perfect and then discover a cut part isn't the same.
Well technically it will throttle cut on the gear change but that can be programmed. These transmission are good for 700lbs-ft stock and with upgrades, good to 1100lbs-ft +.

On the 3d printed part, I use PETG to avoid shrinkage. So far, the measurements are off but not by shrinkage. I need to adjust the holes and the way the part lays so it has an inclusion for starter in the same location that the 7m is at. This initial design got me in the ball park. It is mostly to allow test fit before sending off to CNC.

Last edited:

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Another part!

This is just to test bolt fitting. Not sure on the direction yet.

20201113_215234.jpg

20201113_232242.jpg

Last edited:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
If you do billet covers, consider adding a provision for bolting down coils or a coil bracket (assuming non-stock coils). And maybe moving the vent ports to the very back of the cover.

Looks good though. 3D printers can definitely cause some snowballing on projects. Pretty soon you're going to be printing a prototype FFIM. Or one of those DIY header fit kits with the snap together tubing sections.... https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1649639

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
If you do billet covers, consider adding a provision for bolting down coils or a coil bracket (assuming non-stock coils). And maybe moving the vent ports to the very back of the cover.

Looks good though. 3D printers can definitely cause some snowballing on projects. Pretty soon you're going to be printing a prototype FFIM. Or one of those DIY header fit kits with the snap together tubing sections.... https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1649639
Lol...thankfully on the ffim, i am covered as i jumped on Sleeper Design's last group buy for 7M FFIM.

Though I just finished the CAD for the entire valve cover. Might adjust some things but not to shabby.

WFXValveCovers.jpg

Reactions: debrucer

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Nice!
What's driving the need for new covers?
Integrating a cam sensor?
Re-plumbing the PCV?
Something else?

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Nice!
What's driving the need for new covers?
Integrating a cam sensor?
Re-plumbing the PCV?
Something else?
Honestly, I have been tossing around the dry sump idea and since I no longer have a power steering pump, that looks like a great place for one. :D

Toss in that I am running R35 ignition coils and now I have a need to make a center mount to actually mount them, then that gave me the ideal of valve covers with a middle portion to hide the coils. Think like the the jz does from factory just purely from aesthetics.

Are you using AutoCAD for 3D modeling? You should try Fusion 360, it's a great parametric modeling program, and you can get it for free as a startup or for personal use. I use it for small parts and personal business, and I use Catia, Rhino, and Autocad (2D) for my job.

For the writing, look at the Supra font that GrimJack made: http://www.supramania.com/forum/threads/for-everyone-who-wanted-the-mk3-supra-font.58091/
I use the Autocad 2020 student edition which watermarks the prints but since that is going to be sent to get milled. It still does the STL files that most CNC places need.