Figgie's build: Project Rodknox

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Authorized Seller
well if i recall a 200 amp should be used you will know once it starts tripping ps do you have a kill switch installed

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
well if i recall a 200 amp should be used you will know once it starts tripping ps do you have a kill switch installed
No Kill switch as I will not be racing this thing anytime soon.

Just chasing issues and correcting them trying to get the car to a good base before continuing the modifying.

Last edited:

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
On the same car, related project. The car drives well. Still need to tune out some lean spots on cruise.

On to the good stuff.

What you see in the middle is a Tesla model S Media Control unit.
20190807_175433-1470x3024.jpg

I was just doing a test fit to get an idea on what will need a saw put to it.

I have been in the middle of reading CanBus messages from MCU to other Tesla parts along with mapping out the file structure (it is a linux based OS).

Time will tell if this pans out. :)

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Here we go..details in the video.

Idle is low. That is good and also bad.

1150cc/min injectors idling at 650 on E85. Not to bad.

Even cold start is at 650. Should be 1200-1400rpm cold start. Iacv is still shot.

Standalone is an AEMV1.

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Not too bad. I like that Tesla screen concept you are working on. When are you going going to attach the Tesla batteries and electric drive motor to the mk3 Supra as I really would like to see someone make a electric mk3 Supra?

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Not too bad. I like that Tesla screen concept you are working on. When are you going going to attach the Tesla batteries and electric drive motor to the mk3 Supra as I really would like to see someone make a electric mk3 Supra?
That will be another under taking.

The mcu is a beast to figure out but this is the hub intelligence of the car.

So for the Tesla conversion. Complicated but not impossible.

Someone is working on an electric Delorean project name: Teslorean
http://www.teslorean.com/
).

I will be using a couple parts from a tesla.

Electric power steering rack (already aquired).
Electric brake booster
Parts off the model S A/c box to integrate into MCU.

All this stuff talks over CanBus and specifically, the Tesla model S has lots of CanBus channels that all talk with one another over what they call, the gateway.

This will be a long term project except power steering. That is next in line.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
What's involved in the power steering? You just have to figure out the canbus control for variable boost?

Is the brake booster just a vacuum pump system?

Just curious why you would be doing these conversions, if there are advantages, or just something neat to do?

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
What's involved in the power steering? You just have to figure out the canbus control for variable boost?

Is the brake booster just a vacuum pump system?

Just curious why you would be doing these conversions, if there are advantages, or just something neat to do?
The conversions are to free up the mechanical system (ie no more power steering pump spinning all the time) and unrelated, lose some weight.

The power steering under the OEM style is constantly getting fluid circulated through it. Regardless if you are turning or straight line.

The brake system for the Tesla is totally electric. No vacuum at all. Most new cars are hence why active braking works. :)

Add to that, with the correct programming, both steering and braking effort can be adjusted for a true progressive power steering and braking AND if I really want to. Can make self driving a possibility.

The funny thing is that the Tesla rack is really a land rover steering rack.

In the end, it is also a neat thing to do.

The hot rods guys call this a resto-mod.
Chip Foose lead the way in that department.

Old tech with new controls (motec m1 will be controlling it now that the motor is solid).

A/c, NAV w GPS, sat radio, digital control of windows and selection for steering and braking feel. :D

Last edited:

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
If you want some information on how many amps the Tesla Model S steering rack pulls I can give you some data.

I investigated both the Model S and 3 - 12V electrical systems.

Looks like you have some cool things in store for this Supra!

Reactions: figgie

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
If you want some information on how many amps the Tesla Model S steering rack pulls I can give you some data.

I investigated both the Model S and 3 - 12V electrical systems.

Looks like you have some cool things in store for this Supra!

If they pan out, indeed!

Were you digging for some information on the parts (model S and 3)?

I know the Electric power steering is up to 60 Amps for the EPS. The real question, what canbus ID sets steering assist rates.

Might pick your brain if you have anything on the ibooster master brake.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
No, I perform whole vehicle powernet investigations. (Primarily 12V & 48V systems)
Unfortunately I won't be able to help much on the canbus ID's, didn't look at that much.

I will send you a couple logs one of these days if you are interested.
Might help you size any fuses/relays/wiring ect... in the EPS system you are designing.

The iboosters are pretty cool units, nice gearing inside.
Teslorean might be a good source for information on scavenging all these Tesla parts.

Reactions: figgie

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Authorized Seller
I am a fluid type guy only reason i would get rid of it is for dry sump pump

simple wins race's and keeps more hair on your head instead of pulling ti all out lol

ps electronic brakes feel awful can't feel the road hell it's hard to feel a warpped rotor some times

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
No, I perform whole vehicle powernet investigations. (Primarily 12V & 48V systems)
Unfortunately I won't be able to help much on the canbus ID's, didn't look at that much.

I will send you a couple logs one of these days if you are interested.
Might help you size any fuses/relays/wiring ect... in the EPS system you are designing.

The iboosters are pretty cool units, nice gearing inside.
Teslorean might be a good source for information on scavenging all these Tesla parts.
Funny enough, this whole idea came from the teslorean build. I have been on both the Tesla and BMW boards (I can fill you in offline) scouring for CanBus info.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Are you keeping the speakers in the back once you get all the bugs fixed? I love riding with my targa out, but you don't have any targa holders and I'm not sure it'll fit behind your seats. Just curious as to what you are going to do. I take my top out and put my weezl wings in. I don't drive mine if there's chance of rain anyways since I'm on MT ET streets.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Are you keeping the speakers in the back once you get all the bugs fixed? I love riding with my targa out, but you don't have any targa holders and I'm not sure it'll fit behind your seats. Just curious as to what you are going to do. I take my top out and put my weezl wings in. I don't drive mine if there's chance of rain anyways since I'm on MT ET streets.
Well i dislike the feel of the wet noodle once i take the targa off.

With that said, when the time comes, i will have to source the interior trim that has the targa top mounts on it but that is low priority.

The car has been running fine on a steady E85 diet. I still have to tune some spots but it is almost there. I am not sure but I have this feeling that one of the injectors is not behaving correctly. if i swap them out, i am going back to ID's for sure!

the other high priority item is to replace the AEMv1 with something a lot more modern. Direction is the MoteC M1 series..

then fuel pump as i am eager to either go brushless or cam driven mecahnical fuel pump...

on a related note, I have the Tesla MCU on my bench and i have a power supply that i used for powering RC Car LiPo charging that can supply up to 1300 watts over 12vdc (and i can switch the voltage from 12v to 24v).

https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-rc-evpeak-pj1-ecube-1360w-power-supply-w-usb-port-1224v-60a-1360w-evpf1209/p476063

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
ps electronic brakes feel awful can't feel the road hell it's hard to feel a warpped rotor some times
Electric brake is different than the tried and true master brake booster setup in that now a motor provides the assist and not vacuum. Other than that there is still a direct connection to the piston that influences the brake pressure in case there is a failure of the electrical system, you go back to full mechanical brake without assist (no different than when the engine stalls out).

Most high perf car uses that Bosch Ibooster for brake duties (all that auto brake stuff or collision avoidance has to be done electro-mechanically).

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Sorry for lack of updates. New job has me traveling out to NYC.

minor updates.

Today I drained the coolant system of water and put some zerex G-04 as we are about to freeze tonight.

I have done the outline to install the aerocatch hood latches on the carbon fiber hood.

On the docket
MoTeC M1.
Phr flex fuel sensor.

I will be posting pictures of my new SD ffim, fuel rail and alt relocation.

This is what is driving the MoTeC M1 as I am going back to DBW. Specifically the 2017 Cadillac CTS-V dbw throttle body and accelerator.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
Always good to see people try to bring vehicle back from the brink. Looking good. Just read through the thread and had one point to make if it's helpful.

The EFI water temp sensor connector is still available from Toyota, part number is 90980-10736. TE/AMP Sealed Sensor Connector (SSC) series part number is 184004-1 for the correct keyed (Key C) connector.

Jeff

Reactions: debrucer

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Always good to see people try to bring vehicle back from the brink. Looking good. Just read through the thread and had one point to make if it's helpful.

The EFI water temp sensor connector is still available from Toyota, part number is 90980-10736. TE/AMP Sealed Sensor Connector (SSC) series part number is 184004-1 for the correct keyed (Key C) connector.

Jeff
Mr Lange.

Much appreciated!

Reactions: Jeff Lange

Justin727

T-virus infected
Authorized Seller
WOW Figgie!! Sheesh you got your hands full in this one.

I managed to get Bishops old 1992 with a BHG. Looking to be getting into it in the near future. Loads of old rare parts in it.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
WOW Figgie!! Sheesh you got your hands full in this one.

I managed to get Bishops old 1992 with a BHG. Looking to be getting into it in the near future. Loads of old rare parts in it.

Indeed, honestly I looked at it as a starting point so I knew what I was getting into.

:)

With that said, it is already hitting freezing here in the twin cities. So have the following in the wings to be installed

20191104_083122-1431x3024.jpg 20191104_083147-1431x3024.jpg

What we have here is a MoTeC m182. The supra will be one recipient of this with another project that has Direct injection. This is what will be driving the DBW on the Sleeper Design FFIM which I already have.

This will be replacing an AEMv1.

Why?

I need flexfuel capabilities as the car is running a steady diet of "E85". I also need DBW due to FFIM. Back with my old 87, I ran a LT4 dbw controlled by a MoTeC M800 and the profile shaping allowed even that monster to work great (along with those GM engineers designing the dbw to be tame in part throttle).

That and I have always preffered MoTeC for my personal cars. :)

Things that will be addressed as part of this install.

New harness using /91 spec wire (see my everything you want to know about wire for what that is).

Replacing the current Fuel Injector Clinic 1120cc/min high-z injectors with injector Dynamics 1300x^2.

Replace fuel system from the fuel pump, lines and OEM fuel rail to Sleeper design fuel rail, injector dynamics fuel fiter with pressure sensor.

Fuel pump: I am still running numbers but i am leaning towards the newest Aeromotive 5.0 GPM brushless pump as the newest version is pwm.

Alternator: I will be removing the alternator that is currently on the car. Not sure what manufacture it fits or what is its output and I hate unknowns.

Dash: oem dash will be gone and replaced with something digital. I never liked the gauges plastered everywhere look.

Electrical, going back to PDM32 and might have to do 2 as I am installing lots of stuff that is electrically driven.

That is just the begining. Have other plans that will be very complex but I will reveal those if they are successful.

Reactions: Piratetip

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Did you get a deal on that motec? I always wonder how people justify running the motecs, are they really that much better than ECUs that cost 1/2 or 1/4 as much? Maybe for a dedicated race car, but on a street car?

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Did you get a deal on that motec? I always wonder how people justify running the motecs, are they really that much better than ECUs that cost 1/2 or 1/4 as much? Maybe for a dedicated race car, but on a street car?
No deal per say. This is a requirement to become a MoTeC dealer which I am in the middle off doing.

As for better, in my opinion the custom integration with CanBus message is not done by anyone else. The software make more sense for my analytical way of thinking.

The m130 is better suited for strictly Supra useage along with a more reasonable price point since we don't need paddle shifting etc.

I went this route due to a seperate project that I need to address some intricacy with CanBus messages and I have the tools for autosport connectors to build harnesses.