Exhaust options - anything with two tailpipes like stock?

E_S

Authorized Seller
My exhaust system needs to be changed. It's a rusty mess and some previous owner welded a 3" downpipe directly to a NA exhaust system, so this sucks.

I would like to keep the stock look and will keep the 3" downpipe and install a new cat, but all the catback systems I find have this huge 4" tip that I personally find butt-ugly. Maybe it's okay on a race car, but on my stock Supra it will look really out of place, plus it's probably really noisy as well.

Is there an exhaust system that looks a lot like stock (two tailpipes out of the muffler) and doesn't drone, but still flows a bit better than the stock system (if that's needed), or do I need to get something custom-made?

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I also cannot stand the look of a huge round can and single tip.

The only off the shelf dual tip one I can think of is the HKS unit. PN# LET-T16
But IMO the steel they use is not great, it rusts out after awhile.
Though its the easiest and quickest route, just remove old and bolt in new.

I ended up making my entire exhaust myself from 3" 304 stainless.
Takes awhile though.
I used a large CAT, resonator and muffler, no drone, good tone.
Actually really love the sound it makes.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
My exhaust design for reference:

E_S

Authorized Seller
Thanks a lot! Nice work! :)

I can do most repairs on my car, but I can't weld or paint, so for the exhaust, I would be stuck with paying someone to do the complete job. It's tempting to go for the HKS system and then just having someone put in a new cat and flange and put everything together - I guess with the car being used only in the summer and maybe 3k miles a year, it should last for many years even without being stainless or best quality steel..

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
My setup is similar to Piratetip’s, in that it’s all stainless, and designed to be quiet:
3.5” down pipe, metallic core 3” cat, Magnaflow center muffler, Borla proXS rear muffler with twin 2.5” HKS style tips.
I also incorporated an electric cutout for when my shallow personality needs attention. :)

3310E3C3-EE10-4C87-8813-D67144201563.jpeg
D41ECC71-EDA6-4FDB-9C2D-B4361321C23A.jpeg

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I also like the dual tip muffler style on the MK3 Supra. On my old 87 non turbo with a 2.5 inlet, I ran a muffler that looked just like this with the slightly slanted tips:

On my current turbo supra I run a OBX muffler with a 3" inlet for about the last 10 years. This is the exact one I have, fits great, has held up very good and still looks like new but I do use chrome polish on it every year. I would buy this exact muffler again if I got another turbo Supra tomorrow:

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
I too prefer the stock dual tip look. Best off the shelf catback exhaust I've been able to find that's still fairly available is the HKS 75mm Turbo exhaust, and I will be acquiring one soon. And maybe earlier versions were different, but the one I ordered is supposed to be ceramic coated, and since I mostly drive my Supra on sunny Colorado days, of which there are actually many, I'm not too worried about it. Mostly hoping it will be at least a touch louder than stock and not negatively affect performance.

One other option you can look into, at least for the muffler, is the Megan Racing M-DT muffler, which has the factory dual tip style. I was considering this before I settled on the HKS.

Here's some vids with the Megan:

Reactions: AndreyNVKZ

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
Magnaflow has dual tips in two and half inch and three inch, outlet, but it has three inch inlet.

Last edited:

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Apparently I have no taste :( lol

4" single here. Blitz Nur.... and have zero idea what it sounds like.

It's so time to get this going!!!!!
To each his own. :)
I just never liked the appearance of a large single outlet can.

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
I also cannot stand the look of a huge round can and single tip.

The only off the shelf dual tip one I can think of is the HKS unit. PN# LET-T16
But IMO the steel they use is not great, it rusts out after awhile.
Though its the easiest and quickest route, just remove old and bolt in new.

I ended up making my entire exhaust myself from 3" 304 stainless.
Takes awhile though.
I used a large CAT, resonator and muffler, no drone, good tone.
Actually really love the sound it makes.
"I also cannot stand the look of a huge round can and single tip."

I agree with Piratetip. also for me I not a fan of the crooked mounted, angled muffler either, to me it just looks like the installer made a mistake and just said "F" it! but that's me and I know many of you have that..sorry

Last edited:

E_S

Authorized Seller
Ended up with the HKS system. Found a reasonable price and it's the most complete - like I wrote, I can't weld myself, so anything that needs to be welded in would need me to pay someone to do it. The more I can do myself, the better. :)

Reactions: sinistar_xx

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
Cool. Are you putting it on a turbo or NA Supra? Let us know how it works out. I won't be able to get to installing mine for at least a week.

Edit: never mind on the question, I reread and see you mentioned NA already.

Last edited:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Apparently I have no taste :( lol

4" single here. Blitz Nur.... and have zero idea what it sounds like.

It's so time to get this going!!!!!
I have the Nur Spec, it sounds good with the stock turbo and no cat at least. To each their own though, I think the can on the Nur Spec looks good.

Reactions: debrucer

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I have the Nur Spec, it sounds good with the stock turbo and no cat at least. To each their own though, I think the can on the Nur Spec looks good.
I appreciate that... I like it, too.

I've listened to quite a few videos of Supra sounds, and yeah, I want it to sound good, but at this point, having done so many things over such a long period of time, the sounds I'm worried about now might come from some mistake I made any time over all these years....

If it doesn't knock of otherwise blow gas, I'm pretty sure it will sound fine :)

David

Edit: I realized that I was hijacking someone else's thread. So, I've moved that content to a new thread where it should have been written :)

Last edited:

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
Although my 88 project has the nice stainless twin tip setup, my daily 89 has an HKS super drager, which is a single tip on a larger canister. I wanted to trade out to the LET-16, but it wasn’t worth it, since the Super Drager was new, and came with the car.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
As far as flying under the radar goes the HKS dual tip exhausts are the best option, especially the turbo because it is black. My only gripe with the hks dual tip exhausts is rust, and weight. Both of which are very apparent compared to a stainless exhaust of the same caliber (tanabe touring medallion) If I remember right the hks turbo exhaust chokes down in size through the resonator. Just something for anyone reading this in the future to think about.

Reactions: Piratetip

E_S

Authorized Seller
Yeah, but for a car that is stock and is only used in the summer months (not a lot of them here, mostly from early May to end September), I think the rust issue won't be big. I guess it flows better than the stock one, and not too noisy is the most important for me, really.. :)

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Yeah, but for a car that is stock and is only used in the summer months (not a lot of them here, mostly from early May to end September), I think the rust issue won't be big. I guess it flows better than the stock one, and not too noisy is the most important for me, really.. :)
The hks turbo exhaust is definitely a great option for you from the sounds of it then. Unless you told someone I would say nobody would ever know it was modified which is a plus.

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I wanted to add some pictures from post #7of the OBX muffler with a 3" inlet I have used for the last 10 years:

Reactions: sinistar_xx

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Reactions: figgie