Today I got another package.
This time I got my new wheel arches. They are for a Opel (Vaxhall) Calibra.
I bought them through ebay and by doing so I saved about half of what they would have
cost me here in Sweden. And that's including shipping!
Now it's time for some bodywork.
First I had to remove the old putty, which was a lot :S
Then I marked out where the big damages was.
I wanted to fix the dent (caused by my welding) in front of the wheel arch first.
So I welded an attachment for the slidehammer on and started working the dent out.
Thank you. Some tasks are more fun then others. For example, sanding and shaping fiberglass reinforced putty is not so much fun after awhile. But watching at the progress (and finally the end result) and thinking that I did this on my own is very fun
no I still own the supra. I had an accident in january while snowboarding. I dislocated my collarbone which needed surgery to be corrected, so I had this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrOFwXbQd4A
So I havent gotten much work done. I am working on it now though and it will be running before the 1st of june. I'm scrapping most of my plans to do this, but there will be a new turbo on a KKK k27
I'm currently trying to figure out why I have such high fuel consumption. It's currently at 1.7 liter/10km (13.84 mpg(US)) which is too high in my opinion since I was mostly driving to and from work.
I'm also putting together my own big brake kit.
I got a set of free calipers from a friend so I'll try and use them. They are from a touareg V10, so it's 4 pot, 330mm diameter, 32mm thickness in front and 2pot, 330mm diameter, 32mm thickness in the rear.
Currently I'm set on using either 350Z (324mmx30mm) track or sti (326mmx30mm) rotor in front and sti (316mmx20mm) rotor in rear.
But I have a problem and that is that the chrome is flaking from the caliper pistons and I can't find replacement pistons for a reasonable price. The pistons are 46mm in diameter and 32mm high.
So my current idea is to buy land rover pistons which are 46mmx31mm and in stainless steel. These do not have any collar to accept dust boots so I will modify these in a lathe and I was also thinking about welding extensions to them to compensate for thinner rotors. What do you think?
I have also sandblasted the calipers and bought paint for them, but I won't paint them until the piston problem is sorted.
I have also begun building my own FFIM, it's almost completed, all I need is a way to operate the throttle (longer throttle cable) and add some vacuum connections.
I have a lot of pictures....and I mean A LOT!!!! I'm going to see if I can find a good picture host where I don't have to manage one link per picture.
The valve covers are not much different than the latest pictures on the previous page. But the FFIM is on and working great, but I might build another one since I have the parts for it
I'm painting the car in parts and I think the basic car (without any removable panels) have been painted in basecoat three times (2 or 3 coats per time) and at least as many times with clearcoat. Colorsanding between each time.
I think I will have some time over christmas to post some pictures for you
Hehe I would update more if I had the time, but I'm choosing to spend whatever time I have left on my supra
I have only a few parts left to paint.
I'm sanding before, in the middle and after. There are lots of coats of clear.
Below you can see the nose panel which has just received the red Ferrari paint. It needs to harden for a week before I can sand it and then put the clear on. One week after it's time for another sanding session and polish.
Here is also a sneak peak of the targa roof which I've sanded by hand (1500 and 2000 grit), 3000 grit on machine and then polished with Meguiars 105 on a heavy cut pad. I'm using a cotech HPV 720 Da polisher.