Engine noise?

simond355

Authorized Seller
Hello guys.
1990 Supra with 7M-GTE
I have been restoring this car for a couple years, finally got plates on it etc.
Oil pressure: 50 psi 3k rpm
No engine codes.

Info + problem:
At idle cold: Engine sounds very good and healthy.
At idle warm: I can hear a very very very little tick/noise/miss-sound
I have trouble diagnosing where it is coming from wheter its coming from the head or something other.
Its ONLY at idle at warm condition after a drive, cant hear it at all if i rev it up just a couple hundred rpms.. or 3000rpm or whatever i do besides hot idle.
it'´s difficult to describe the sound as its a very very weak sound..

Should i be worried?
Hope you can give me some advice or tips. Anything is appreciated, thank you

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Are you sure it is not the fuel injectors? The fuel injectors are very noisy on the Supra and even in my Lexus GS300 with a 2jz that the the only thing you hear under the hood are those loud injectors...tick tick tick tick....

Have you ever check the clearance between the camshaft lobe and the valve shim on all 24 valves?

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
I've heard of valve ticking before. A common problem in bmw's. Just maybe it is a valve tick. Not sure what causes a valve tick.

simond355

Authorized Seller
Dosent quite sound like a clicking noise like injectors, but i gotta check that.
No, havent checked valve adjustment, i just thought i would be able to clearly hear it if i listen very close to the valve covers? Maybe i should go with that first

simond355

Authorized Seller
Had the head rebuilt with new valve stem seals, machined etc.. Maybe the valves just needed a couple hundred kms to ''break in/getting sit)?