Energy Suspension - Rear Control Arm Poly Kit Information

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
This information is in reference to kit PN: 8.3127 (Control Arm Bushing Set Rear)
I only needed to swap out a couple of my rear bushings, but bought the whole kit anyway. (Replacing some oldschool ubobtainium 6/6 bushings)

For anyone that needs this information, I suspect there will be a lot of people.

The kit is straightforward, each poly bushing is labeled with a specific #.
There is a diagram of the suspension arms and where each of these go, so that part is good.

The Problem
The kit comes in a box with all the parts jumbled in a big pile, none are placed with their corresponding counterpart.
Where do the inner steel sleeves go?
There are 3 different sizes (lengths), and the instructions do not indicate anything besides quantity of them and dimensions.
10ea 15.10.167.39 (.875" x .562" x 1.960")
2ea 15.10.20.39 (.875" x .562" x 1.800")
2ea 15.10.167.39 (.875" x .562" x 1.875")

Rather than trying to measure each and fumble around trying to figure this out:
- I called them directly and asked the engineers there to tell me where each goes.

The Key

Sleeve # | Sleeve Length | Bushing # | Location
15.10.188.39 | 1.875" | 8374 | Spherical Bushing @ Knuckle
15.10.20.39 | 1.800" | 2756 | Trailing Arm @ Knuckle
15.10.167.39 | 1.960" | All Remaining Bushings | All Other Locations

The Diagram with my notes:

Photo of all the bushings laid out, in the same locations as the diagram - With Bushing PN's and Sleeve Lengths Indicated

Link to Kit
https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/8.3127
Link to Instructions
https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/installation_instructions/energy_suspension/17522.pdf

Hopefully this helps someone out there!

(NOTE - I do not advise using this kit's poly busing #8374 in place of the OEM spherical bushing, just use the OEM part)

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I believe that spherical bushing is 42210-14010
Yep that's them.
I've replaced them last year.

My 20 ton press barely removed them, they were seized in the knuckle like no other.
I ended up covering the part with some heavy fabric and ducking for cover to avoid being impaled by flying parts once it let go.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Yep that's them.
I've replaced them last year.

My 20 ton press barely removed them, they were seized in the knuckle like no other.
I ended up covering the part with some heavy fabric and ducking for cover to avoid being impaled by flying parts once it let go.
Im trying to picture this scene in my head. Was this playing when this took place? :p

Reactions: jugodegolf

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I would say more like this scene:

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Was prepping to start this tomorrow, I was wondering about this exact thing.
Guess no spherical bushing install for me.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I’ve had most spherical bushing come out rather easy.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Well after 30 years they tend to bond pretty good with rust. :)

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Mine feels like it's welded in there. So annoying.
I knew that was going to happen to mine also. I paid a shop to remove them and about 3 hours later all 4 pressed in bushings were replaced. They had to use a induction heat tool which heated up everything very nicely along with a impact air chisel and a few other tools. The rear is much more solid with those bushings replaced with new OEM parts.

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I just took it into work and used the press. I was just hoping to have it mostly finished over the weekend instead.
For the knuckle I'll probably have a shop do it.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Take a video of the spherical bushing letting go in the press. :cool:

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
And when that dont work, acetalene and some beer.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Naw, the knuckle is cast iron.
It can take a boatload of abuse.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Authorized Seller
Naw, the knuckle is cast iron.
It can take a boatload of abuse.
but new knuckles come perloaded with bushings so life is easy...... come to think of it who the hell would have one in stock lol..... fire it is

traingeek2000

Authorized Seller
How's the ride with these poly bushings? Getting the 30-year-old rubber out is on the to-do list for me but I still wanna preserve ride quality and I can't find info for the stiffness of the compound Energy uses.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Authorized Seller
How's the ride with these poly bushings? Getting the 30-year-old rubber out is on the to-do list for me but I still wanna preserve ride quality and I can't find info for the stiffness of the compound Energy uses.
i modded my bushing kit to allow grease fittings to feed the bushings..... like butter

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Ride is fine.
I also installed zerk's on all the poly bushings in my car.

I think the count is...24 zerks installed in total.

Reactions: Z06gette

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Drilled small hole through bushing to allow a path for the grease to reach the center steel sleeve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Z06gette

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
<snip> I paid a shop to remove them and about 3 hours later all 4 pressed in bushings were replaced. <snip>.
I overpaid to have mine pressed years before I bought a Harbor Freight press. I was living in an apartment that had a two-car garage option... for "parking only", so not allowed to work on it there. A few weeks before the end of the year the management told me that all garages had to be empty by the first of January. They were getting 50 new garage doors installed and wanted garages empty. I took off work, and it comes New Years Eve... with suspension parts in hand, the local welding shop did them for me... for $720.

Got the job done, but it was painful. Suspension back on the car, I had it trailered to the body shop where the manager there agreed that it would be a back burner job... and they'd take 3 to 6 months to do it. They finished in 6 weeks. The garage doors were still being installed. I payed that foreman 50 bucks to make my garage the last one... and eventually moved back into my garage... with bushings and paint.

I sort of hate that I didn't consider the mods in this thread, but, we do what we can :)

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
I also installed zerk's on all the poly bushings in my car.

Drilled small hole through bushing to allow a path for the grease to reach the center steel sleeve.
Thanks for all this info! I didn't realize there was so much more to bushings.

I was curious, do you have any pictures of the bushings you have drilled and added zerk's to? Also, how often to you relubricate the bushings?

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I don't have a lot of photos of it.
Here are a couple old ones I dug up.

The majority of the control arm superpro bushings are 2 part, so those don't need to be drilled.
The center where you drill and tap the zerk to go just feeds the silicone grease directly to the center steel sleeve.

The bushings that are 1 piece - I do in this order:
-Drill and tap the arm for the zerk (orient it so its facing to be accessible later and not interfering with anything, usually in the center)
-Temp install zerk to verify everything fits right, then remove it for now
-Clean all metal burrs and use compressed air to clean all shavings ect..
-Press the bushing into the arm
-Use a small drillbit - 1/16" or 5/64" to drill out the bushing directly in the center of the zerk hole.
-Clean out the bushing shavings and verify the hole is open all the way down to the center sleeve
-I also use a zerk that sticks out ~5/64" into the center bore of the arm - This applies some sealing pressure to the outside edge of the bushing, important for directing the grease to where you want it to go. It probably also helps the bushing from rotating in the bore.
-Grease the center sleeve and press it into the bushing.
-While off the car I usually test that my grease gun is pushing grease where it needs to go with the zerk.
-Clean off the grease thoroughly from the edges of the center sleeve and install the vehicle, torque down.
-Done.

I grease about once a year.
Never encountered any squeaking noises that people talk about with polyurethane bushings.

Reactions: loc182 and debrucer

slowma70

Authorized Seller
great info and thanks for posting. Im currently doing the rear upper control arms, do you remember when installing the poly bushings in the UCA did they mate up insdie? mine has a gap in between both halfs.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Which bushings?
Superpro?