ECU Options

nerfkhat

Authorized Seller
Hi Guys,
Well, I am trying to get back into the game after about 10yrs! If you guys can help guide me on the direction of ECU options. I have the 7m still...the shop that I have it at wants to have the option to tune it and be able to have the engine run as smooth as possible. I don't have any crazy mods..ill list them below and maybe then you guys can give me options. Its currently running ok but the idle I think isn't as stable as I'd like. I think the cause is because I bypassed coolant on intake manifold side to skip IAC. Dont ask me why I did it? I don't really know haha. If you recommend me putting it back I can do that as well.

TEC Rebuilt CT26 turbo (i believe its 60-1 wheel)
Downpipes and exhaust
LEX AFM
denso/hks 550cc injectors
AVCR
SAFC2
Head P&P and 5angle valve job
Stock bottom end freshly rebuilt with flex SS pickup hose
EGR blocked off
Aeromotive AFPR
is300 COP mod

I am looking at AEM V2 right now but I know there is also infinity, ECU Masters...Which would you guys recommend? Also one with an initial map would be nice as well.

Hybrid

Supramania Regular
Authorized Seller
A lot has changed in 10 years ECU wise that is for sure.

MS3Pro .... quite literally plug and play wiring wise and just requires a vac feed for the inbuilt map.

If you buy it from Reg Reimer's shop, it can come tuned for your needs and even be remotely tuned by their shop.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I am running ECU Masters classic right now. Was a bit messy at first with issues such as fuel pump not turning on, base map not running good and a few other small things but all has been straightened out now. I am going to be running E85 as well which was another main goal of having a standalone to be able to blend maps properly as well as run large 1200cc injectors. The built in Map sensor and the ECU being able to power the coils without a igniter are just a few of my favorite features. I recommend you download their tuner software and mess around with it to see how you like it.

I originally had my mind set on a AEM V2 but many people I talked to even local Supra owners pointed me towards the ECU Masters. I personally did not like how others were complaining about how the support ended for AEM V1 as soon as the V2 came out. That is something to keep in mind if a V3 or something came out in the near future.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
I've got both the ECU masters Black and the MS3Pro PNP from PerfectTuning.

MS3 Plugged in followed some simple start-up steps, and turned the key and started. 10 seconds in the software and it was idling 14.x
ECUmaster was quite a bit more involved even with the PNP harness. Took weeks to figure it out some partly my fault but for the most part, it just was nowhere near as easy or simple as the MS3. I do have many many more hours in the software so I know my way around quite well.

If I was to give a recommendation, I'd say MS3pro unless you are captivated by the EMUB's tiny footprint (which I was) as I need to use it as a piggy back for my sc300 with an automatic.

nerfkhat

Authorized Seller
A lot has changed in 10 years ECU wise that is for sure.

MS3Pro .... quite literally plug and play wiring wise and just requires a vac feed for the inbuilt map.

If you buy it from Reg Reimer's shop, it can come tuned for your needs and even be remotely tuned by their shop.
Do you have link to his site? Seems like more of you guys like the ms3 pro..ill take a look

nerfkhat

Authorized Seller
I've got both the ECU masters Black and the MS3Pro PNP from PerfectTuning.

MS3 Plugged in followed some simple start-up steps, and turned the key and started. 10 seconds in the software and it was idling 14.x
ECUmaster was quite a bit more involved even with the PNP harness. Took weeks to figure it out some partly my fault but for the most part, it just was nowhere near as easy or simple as the MS3. I do have many many more hours in the software so I know my way around quite well.

If I was to give a recommendation, I'd say MS3pro unless you are captivated by the EMUB's tiny footprint (which I was) as I need to use it as a piggy back for my sc300 with an automatic.
Did you purchase any other sensors? Im looking into ms3pro. What all do you recommend to purchase? Id like to get rid of AFM as well.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
wow, that is a ton of money for that RCTS box. I'd much rather grab a Haltech for that money.

A PnP MS3pro is nearly $1000 cheaper: https://perfecttuning.net/en/toyota...-and-play-ecu-for-7m-gte-and-865-92-7mge.html
The only thing with a PNP style standalone like that is you are limited to only using the OEM harness and now considering the age of these engine harnesses, most will most likely need a rebuild soon. With a engine harness rebuild/or new harness, you can get rid of soo many unnecessary OEM sensors and add some new inputs /sensors to your liking.

Also what if you want to bypass the OEM multi-plex, run sequential injection, fail safes, aftermarket sensors/inputs, e85, ect... ? I know you have some extra inputs on the side but me personally I would not want to be only able to run one style Toyota engine harness connector and have it get in the way like it did for me on my build.

Having a standalone that you can pin yourself and use on multiple engines is also a great selling point if you decide to sell it later on vs the shrinking number of 7m's out there unfortunately which is another thing to keep in mind when buying a standalone.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
Did you purchase any other sensors? Im looking into ms3pro. What all do you recommend to purchase? Id like to get rid of AFM as well.
I didn't purchase any other sensors, other than I the WB I already had. Since it has a built-in map sensor, you can eliminate the AFM, you only need it for IAT, if you want to rid it completely, you'll need to buy an IAT to get air temp. In my case, I don't believe the AFM is that bad of a restriction, I may remove the honeycomb though. I know Aljordan, did 600WHP way back in the day with it in place.

The RTCS is actually the perfecttuning PNP ecu, it's just rebranded and reg will tune the car I believe as part of the price. So it's really not that bad of a price at that point.

The Perfect Tuning MS3 is pretty amazing he worked hard to make sure the stock ignition system works really well, along with the even cruise control working! Honestly, it's a real PNP affair and again I can't state how impressed I was with not only Sam's knowledge, and helpfulness but more importantly how real PNP it was. Again, my 91 is stock, and the tune it was loaded with was for a stock car... Honestly, it doesn't really matter what ecu you buy they all claim something over another but they all do the same shit in the end. The only thing that matters, is how much time and energy you need to invest to get to your goal.

MS3 will always be supported and software improvements will always be avail, for instance, Flexfuel. Time will tell for the others.. As I said I love the form factor and size of the ECUmasters, but it was far from PNP. It is, however, a good unit and I like the software, the biggest issue is the software needs some features like map compare and some other things. Other than that it can do quite a bit.

wow, that is a ton of money for that RCTS box. I'd much rather grab a Haltech for that money.

A PnP MS3pro is nearly $1000 cheaper: https://perfecttuning.net/en/toyota...-and-play-ecu-for-7m-gte-and-865-92-7mge.html
The Haltec is great, but tuners are not many in the supra world.

Last edited:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The only thing with a PNP style standalone like that is you are limited to only using the OEM harness and now considering the age of these engine harnesses, most will most likely need a rebuild soon. With a engine harness rebuild/or new harness, you can get rid of soo many unnecessary OEM sensors and add some new inputs /sensors to your liking.

Also what if you want to bypass the OEM multi-plex, run sequential injection, fail safes, aftermarket sensors/inputs, e85, ect... ? I know you have some extra inputs on the side but me personally I would not want to be only able to run one style Toyota engine harness connector and have it get in the way like it did for me on my build.

Having a standalone that you can pin yourself and use on multiple engines is also a great selling point if you decide to sell it later on vs the shrinking number of 7m's out there unfortunately which is another thing to keep in mind when buying a standalone.
I agree, so then buy the same box, non-PnP, and save yourself even more money.

The Haltec is great, but tuners are not many in the supra world.
One of the best tuners in BC (Bill at Indyspeed) sells and tunes them. He also does Link, which is what I'm considering in the future.

I have a brand new harness on my car, but when I change out my AEM v1, I'll be building a new harness. As plaaya69 (great username btw) stated, with all of the changes I want to make, hacking up the stock harness is just a pain in the ass.

nerfkhat

Authorized Seller
Hi guys,
Im really leaning towards ms3 pro now. To those of you who have the ms3, what are your reccomendations? rebuild the harness? or purchase some extra sensors if needed? Will the new driftmotion magnetic cps pickup work and is it worth to upgrade as well?

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
Perfect Tuning MS is the same as the pro and uses the stock harness, has a MAP sensor built into it. All you need is an IAT if you want to rid your self of the AFM since the afm has the IAT built into the AFM.

The perfecttuning unit even bolts into the stock location. For me is a Win win win win...

Fits in the stock location fits stock harness, has wifi/Bluetooth built-in along with a WB02 controller, and will work for 1jz/2jz if you decide to swap later on. How could you go wrong?

nhum

Consequence
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Fits in the stock location fits stock harness, has wifi/Bluetooth built-in along with a WB02 controller, and will work for 1jz/2jz if you decide to swap later on. How could you go wrong?

I'm currently running MapECU 2 (PITA) and seems like every time outside temperature changes, my car is out of tuned.
Do you have to order internal wideband option? I'm interested in running MS3Pro and already have AEM wideband installed. Don't really need another wideband and bung.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
I'm currently running MapECU 2 (PITA) and seems like every time outside temperature changes, my car is out of tuned.
Do you have to order internal wideband option? I'm interested in running MS3Pro and already have AEM wideband installed. Don't really need another wideband and bung.
Not a bung, you can sell your AEM, and use the internal controller built in to the standalone or you can use the AEM as well as an external sourced WB.

Point being you can put 150 towards the WB from the AEM

nhum

Consequence
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Not a bung, you can sell your AEM, and use the internal controller built in to the standalone or you can use the AEM as well as an external sourced WB.

Point being you can put 150 towards the WB from the AEM
Thanks for the insight....

BigKO

Authorized Seller
Perfect Tuning MS is the same as the pro and uses the stock harness, has a MAP sensor built into it. All you need is an IAT if you want to rid your self of the AFM since the afm has the IAT built into the AFM.

The perfecttuning unit even bolts into the stock location. For me is a Win win win win...

You mention there is a built in WB02 controller... Does this mean a unit like the zeitronix or LC1 is not necessary? If not, how well can it interface with one? I have a NIB zeitronix with LCD gauge that I would like to use in the place of my ash tray. Do you think they will play nice together?

EDIT: I see now that the wideband controller is an add on option. It seems I would be fine with what I have.
https://perfecttuning.net/en/toyota...-and-play-ecu-for-7m-gte-and-865-92-7mge.html

How about EGT? Anyone have experience using EGT sensors with this?

Thanks

Last edited: