Deformed Front Lip Fix for MK3 Supra

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
After waiting just to get some fresh nuts and bolts, I was finally able to complete my fix to reshape the deformed/wavy/warped front lip on my 1989 Supra today. I wasn't sure if it would work, but I'm pleased with the result.

Things you need:

• Make sure you have all of your original lip retainer pieces, including the two corner pieces for each side (upper and lower), the center piece that goes on the underside edge of the bumper cover, and the longer piece that goes from corner to corner on the top inside part of the bumper cover edge.
  • 1" x 48" aluminum flat bar with 1/8" thickness. I got mine from Home Depot. It's the perfect amount of firmness and flexibility for this job.
  • JB Weld to glue the flat bar to the inside of the lip and clamps to hold it in place.
  • 10mm socket wrench.
  • [optional] Replacement nuts for side/corner retainers: 90179-05032 x6 (3 per side)
  • [optional] Replacement bolts for center lower retainer 90109-06133 x5

1. The first thing I did was remove all the retainer pieces, clean them up, and paint them.
  2. I also cleaned up and painted the lip itself.
  3. I made sure the inside of the lip was sanded and clean, then applied the JB Weld to one side of the flat bar (sand and clean it too) and clamped it to the lip. I probably didn't need to use so many clamps, but I have a lot, so I used them. :)
  4. After letting the JB Weld cure for 24 hours, I sprayed over it with Plastidip for good measure and because I happened to have some. Note the front end of the lip will now look nearly straight, but will get its gentle curve back when reinstalled.
  5. Then I waited for two weeks or so just to get some fresh nuts and bolts delivered, just because I didn't want to use any of the rusty crap that was originally there.
  6. Reinstalled the lip.
Supra lip flat bar.jpg
Supra lip clamps inside.jpg
Supra lip clamps front side.jpg
Supra lip before and after comparison.JPG
Supra lip retainer pieces paint.jpg
lip upper bracket.jpg
painted lip.jpg

BEFORE:

Supra lip before 1.jpg
Supra lip before 2.jpg

AFTER:

Supra lip passenger side fixed.jpg
Supra lip passenger corner fixed.jpg
Supra lip front fixed.jpg Supra lip front 2 fixed.jpg

Supra lip driver side corner fixed.jpg
Supra lip fixed inside 1.jpg

Last edited:

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Sweet, awesome writeup. I need to do this as mine looks just like your before pictures. My only concern is when I hit something with it is the JB Weld going to hold up? Might use this instead

sinistar_xx

Authorized Seller
Sweet, awesome writeup. I need to do this as mine looks just like your before pictures. My only concern is when I hit something with it is the JB Weld going to hold up? Might use this instead
Thanks, and yes, valid question about the JB Weld, as I wondered about that too. It seems to be on pretty solid, so the bigger worry is I think you will lose some flexibility with the lip itself if you hit something -- with that flat bar in there, it may be more prone to just tear off? My Supra is not lowered and I try to be careful, so I'm not too worried about that though.

But yeah, other methods of affixing the bar are certainly an option.