Crankcase vent kit

KpSupra

Authorized Seller
Does anyone make a crankcase ventilation kit that is proven? I need one (a good one) and don't have time to piece one together.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
our crankcase is already vented into the intake....which is a good thing....what exactly do you want and or need....you need to be more specific as to what you want and what you want it to do and why....

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Toyota makes a good one and they went ahead and installed it on your car for you...

There is also a good thread on installing a catch can, if that is really what you are after. It is in the Refernece/Tech Tips section.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Authorized Seller
I know of no preassembled kits for anything to do with crankcase ventilation.

I want a pump driven system.... just for the hell of it.

KpSupra

Authorized Seller
My builder tested the crankcase pressure and said it is too high and that it is causing oil leaks. He's a knowledgable guy and builds stock and race engines for a living, so I feel like he knows what he is talking about.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Authorized Seller
My builder tested the crankcase pressure and said it is too high and that it is causing oil leaks. He's a knowledgable guy and builds stock and race engines for a living, so I feel like he knows what he is talking about.

couldnt that be because your rings are worn? or seals are bad?

CRE

Authorized Seller
Then you've got bigger problems. There are people here making tons of power without beefing up the stock system. Look up "blow by". ;)

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
Authorized Seller
then something is restricting the crankcase from venting...

check the pipe connecting the head and block for blockage as well as the rest of the PCV system

CRE

Authorized Seller
We're not guessing. The pressure's coming from somewhere and it's NOT normal. Something's (most likely) wrong with your build or the PCV system's been deleted or is clogged.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Authorized Seller
Contributor
so a direct upgrade for you is to make the stock vent system larger :D cheap and very effective.

williamb82

Authorized Seller
actually, if you people go look, most people that are making big power are running much larger crankcase vents then stock(moddified valve covers). if i were you id plug the tb pcv port and the one on the turbo inlet and have larger fittings installed on the valve covers and run filters right on the covers. that should solve it. most these guys have prolly never pulled the oil cap off for a dyno run and watch how much pressure is there even on a perfect running and selaing stock engine with exhaust intake and upped boost.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
actually, if you people go look, most people that are making big power are running much larger crankcase vents then stock(moddified valve covers). if i were you id plug the tb pcv port and the one on the turbo inlet and have larger fittings installed on the valve covers and run filters right on the covers. that should solve it. most these guys have prolly never pulled the oil cap off for a dyno run and watch how much pressure is there even on a perfect running and selaing stock engine with exhaust intake and upped boost.
that's a horrid idea!!! Very few if anybody here runs filters on the valve covers...how are you going to get vacume if you do that.

williamb82

Authorized Seller
that's a horrid idea!!! Very few if anybody here runs filters on the valve covers...how are you going to get vacume if you do that.
your kidding me right? you do realise vacume is generated from the intake manifold as the pistons pull down on the intake stroke and the valves close before they come back up. the crankcase is never under vacum unles you have a drysump or a vac pump specifically for the crancase.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
Authorized Seller
you want vacuum to evacuate the crankcase vapors (which are generally quite corrosive). This is the whole "positive" part in the acronym PCV.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
your kidding me right? you do realise vacume is generated from the intake manifold as the pistons pull down on the intake stroke and the valves close before they come back up. the crankcase is never under vacum unles you have a drysump or a vac pump specifically for the crancase.
you fail!!!.....the valve covers are vented into the intake just behind the throttle body...with that system it keeps your whole engine/crank case under vacume pressure....you want vacume in the crank case as it vents gasses and helps keep oil INSIDE the motor and turbo.

This has not a damn thing to do with valves as the vent system is compleatly seperate...if you put filters on your valve covers and don't keep your block under vacume pressure say hello to oil leaks and blown turbo seals....EVERYONE on this forum who knows wtf they are doing and are pushing serious #'s have the valve covers plumbed into the intake or exhaust or have an external pump...nobody runs those stupid filters accept maybe n/a people but still stupid...you need more study and less bullshit.

KpSupra

Authorized Seller
Sorry for the extra post. I don't have a PVC system. When I bought the motor for the transplant, it did not have the cover that went across the back of the head. I just blocked off the two holes. Could that be a problem?

CRE

Authorized Seller

j3pz

still learning
Authorized Seller
Sorry for the extra post. I don't have a PVC system. When I bought the motor for the transplant, it did not have the cover that went across the back of the head. I just blocked off the two holes. Could that be a problem?
but thats a different problem. thats part of your egr system, which is needed if you have emissions.

williamb82

Authorized Seller
you fail!!!.....the valve covers are vented into the intake just behind the throttle body...with that system it keeps your whole engine/crank case under vacume pressure....you want vacume in the crank case as it vents gasses and helps keep oil INSIDE the motor and turbo.

This has not a damn thing to do with valves as the vent system is compleatly seperate...if you put filters on your valve covers and don't keep your block under vacume pressure say hello to oil leaks and blown turbo seals....EVERYONE on this forum who knows wtf they are doing and are pushing serious #'s have the valve covers plumbed into the intake or exhaust or have an external pump...nobody runs those stupid filters accept maybe n/a people but still stupid...you need more study and less bullshit.

ok, tap a hole in the valve cover, and install a boost gauge, and make a run at full boost in 3rd gear. see what you get. maybe on a bone stock car you might see a couple inches, less then 5 of vac. now put a full 3in exhaust, open intake, and turn the boost up to 14psi on even a stock turbo. wont be under vac anymore. turn it up on a upgraded turbo with 550's or larger and itll start getting very interesting with those tiny ports off the valve covers.

jdub

<B>Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Authorized Seller
Contributor
ok, tap a hole in the valve cover, and install a boost gauge, and make a run at full boost in 3rd gear. see what you get. maybe on a bone stock car you might see a couple inches, less then 5 of vac. now put a full 3in exhaust, open intake, and turn the boost up to 14psi on even a stock turbo. wont be under vac anymore. turn it up on a upgraded turbo with 550's or larger and itll start getting very interesting with those tiny ports off the valve covers.

William...what you demonstrated here is a complete, utter lack of knowledge how the PCV system works.

williamb82

Authorized Seller
the turbo even though sucking cant pull that much blowby through those small 2 vents. the more boost you run, the more blowby there is gonna be. period.

jdub

SM Expert
Authorized Seller
Contributor
the turbo even though sucking cant pull that much blowby through those small 2 vents. the more boost you run, the more blowby there is gonna be. period.
My statement stands...you're doing an excellent job of proving it.

antman

Authorized Seller
Contributor
No more from the man who carries a shovel?.. and I was just about to get some popcorn.:)

jdub

SM Expert
Authorized Seller
Contributor
LOL...against the sand? ;)
Not this time.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Under non "Boosted" conditions, the stock throttle body port draws off oil vapor and crank case blow-by gases/pressure.

It can also draw the other way, to the turbo inlet/accordian hose where there is a low pressure area as well.

Under boost, the main source to draw off the PCV is the accordian pipe fitting.

Any "Catch Can" or other device to try and remove the oil vapor from the crankcase gases should be installed between the valve covers, and the intake/accordian pipe fitting.

I used a Parker air filter. (Like you would put on a large air compressor setup, to remove any oil from the air. It flows more than I should need, and it cleans the air nearly to the point where you can breathe it.)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
this the point inwhich you shut your cake hole...two very smart and wise people who have the upmost forum respect just told you you are wrong...aswell as me but much less respected....

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller

:eek3:

:cry:

No offense, but this reminds me of the saying about ignorance being fixable but stupid is forever...

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
:eek3:

:cry:

No offense, but this reminds me of the saying about ignorance being fixable but stupid is forever...
lol seriously

what makes it that much worse is he refuses the fact that he is wrong even after 4 people dun told him he fails.

KpSupra

Authorized Seller
I guess I need to tell everyone my mods and goals as far as overpressuring the crankcase. I have the Lexus upgrade, 550 injectors, ct26 with 60 trim, and all the mods to go with it to make 400 rwhp. I plan to run a max of 18 psi of boost. I am not looking at getting the nth degree of horsepower, but I have been told by the company that built the engine that I am over pressuring the crankcase. I feel that the first answers of this post were correct in that it vents into the intake and there should be little or no increase in pressure of the crankcase. Since my problem has been suggested by the builder that my oil leaks are caused by improper venting, I guess the best thing to ask is, “How many of you are running stock crankcase ventillation and do not have a problem with oil leaks?”

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
Authorized Seller
“How many of you are running stock crankcase ventillation and do not have a problem with oil leaks?”
Probably the majority of members on this board...

I run the same setup as you, and have never had problems with excessive crankcase pressure.

Have you actually verified that your PCV system is unobstructed and working correctly yet, or are you just assuming?

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
thats part of your egr system, which is needed if you have emissions.

Oh boy! Forget emmisions.

DETONATION CONTROL AT CRUISING loads!

One of the by-products just happens to be NOx reduction but the real reason is not emmissions, it is to keep the motor from killing itself at cruising loads.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Authorized Seller
Contributor
“How many of you are running stock crankcase ventillation and do not have a problem with oil leaks?”
Currently you have no ventilation.

Reinstall the stock setup then we'll talk.

You can always have a machine shop take your valve cover pull the barbs and drill out the cover for -10AN fittings, and then run your own tee (also involve the tb), and follow the stock routing. Now, adjusters post, it's perfect for you (and he's making big power on what looks to be stock sized barbs). :icon_bigg