CPS cam sensor problem

Targetengineering

Hi folks
I’m trying to use a 7mgte CPS unit to produce a cam timing signal into an aftermarket LINKG4+ ECU.
The CPS unit is fitted to a 2JZGE engine in the Mk4 Supra.
Originally the CPS produced three signal outputs from its three internal sensors, namely G1,G2 & NE. I am only using the G1 output.
My question is has anyone else successfully used the CPS as a trigger for an aftermarket ECU ? Also, does anyone have a waveform it generates, so I can see what I should be getting from mine.

SGM

Since they are VR sensors, you might need to hook the NE G- terminal to either the sensor ground (I don't know how the Link ECU handles VR inputs), or to the inverting terminal of the VR sensor input. Just hooking one of the three noninverting terminals will just result in an open circuit on the sensor.

E: Correction, it's the N- terminal what ties the inverting outputs, not the NE.

Last edited:

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
1599693229984.png

Stolen from the internet. But it looks like this. Voltage varies with rpm, be prepared to handle a lot of voltage (>50V).

SGM

That would require modifying the CPS wiring, since all the inverting inputs are internally tied in the CPS. Surely the Link software has an option to define if you'd want it to trigger on rising or falling edge I'd imagine. Though the output waveform will depend on the VR conditioner, not on the CPS itself (in our case at least).