Coming soon to SupraMania

IchibanEye

Authorized Seller
Contributor
My 7MGTE is failing. I have put much money into it, fixing fuck ups in upgrade and a rebuild from shops that cut corners before I had purchased her. At this point if I do anything else it is just a band-aid and not worth pissing the money away in the long run. The motor has started seeping oil at high temps and boost at the oil pan and the hard line that runs all the way under and to the back of the motor has started doing the same thing at the seal, but barely when it gets to temp. So no real issue (yet with cooling) here. After one spirited drive, this right after sinking 1800$ more into her, I went to start it back up and heard that sound you do not want to, lower bearing noise for a split second. So at this point it is watch the oil level and no more getting into boost for the most part until she fails.

Once the failure happens the good bits will be listed in the appropriate section here on SM. My mechanic is sourcing me a low Km 2J (he works on the stuff I do not have the tools for) and I will be sticking with upgraded twins on this build. I will cherish the rest of the days I can hear that beautiful sound of my 7MGTE while I can. It hurts in so many ways but I have to do the right thing and make my money really work for me the best it can. I will be listing the spare head I have for it soon in my for sale section too. It is a sad day for me today. May you have better car luck than I have had. Much love all!!!!

Last edited:

IchibanEye

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Sorry to hear this, but the 1JZ is a great engine too. May it bring you many years of double the boosted fun!
Thank you so much, life has been kicking me hard the past year and then some and not let up. Your words bring me some relief and shine some light into the dark and I appreciate it. When it comes down to it, this motor and all will be built correctly with all details attended to. I am not about cutting corners. One and done is the way to do things. Again thank you and I look forward to what the future brings.

Reactions: loc182

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
That's a bummer and I am sorry to hear that. I would definitely not drive it anymore if you hear a lower end noise to try and preserve the lower end parts to keep the next round of machining down to a minimum if needed. On the oil leak in the back of the motor, can you see the exact point it is leaking from? I have seen it leak on the headgasket corner area where the oil return path is behind the 6th cylinder and oil would run down the block.

I know the 7m gets a bad rep but I would weigh in all your options and costs with the current parts you have now vs a new motor and all the parts you will need with that swap. Sometimes it just might be better finding a 7m block and cylinder to start over or even a remain one.

Reactions: IchibanEye

IchibanEye

Authorized Seller
Contributor
That's a bummer and I am sorry to hear that. I would definitely not drive it anymore if you hear a lower end noise to try and preserve the lower end parts to keep the next round of machining down to a minimum if needed. On the oil leak in the back of the motor, can you see the exact point it is leaking from? I have seen it leak on the head-gasket corner area where the oil return path is behind the 6th cylinder and oil would run down the block.

I know the 7m gets a bad rep but I would weigh in all your options and costs with the current parts you have now vs a new motor and all the parts you will need with that swap. Sometimes it just might be better finding a 7m block and cylinder to start over or even a remain one.
Hello and thank you so much. Unfortunately I am driving it until it dies. I know what is all wrong with it and what has been put into and now more surprises keep coming. We had her opened (the 7Mgte) up on the bottom a bit ago and it is just not worth the time, labor and costs. The swap and built correctly is the way to go. I had some control over what had gone into this car when I took her into my home with much love. I LOVE , love the 7M but to have it done all the way properly through and through it will cost me far more than the swap and I will be starting out ahead too when it is all said and done with the new power plant. That goes for money, time and HP. It is just fact and numbers at this point for me. No love loss for the 7M what so ever.

So back to me being the 3rd owner, the previous gentleman or should I say shit-stick cut to many corners that I was unaware of and they are rearing their heads over and over at this point. Hell I just sunk about 2 large into here about 6 weeks back in parts and time. That alone could have pretty much got me most of the way just to the new replacement 2J and a good one at that. It just is what it is unfortunately. I was so looking forward to attending SIV this year. That is now looking like about 2 years out for me now.

As for driving it, I do not have a second vehicle anymore due to those mentioned kicks to the junk over the past 18 months or so. My luck is bad luck, story of my life :0) but I refuse to give in and I will not be defeated. So I will be monitoring oil level and pressures far more closely as her and I ride out our final days together as an original (for the most part) MK3. I will no longer be getting into boost as we finish our journey together. Just loving on it as best as I can until we finally part.

It is not leaking at the head-gasket any place. The hard line is leaking at the flange back into the engine. When cool she thickens back up and no leak but when warm seeps a bit. The pan leak is enough when is it warm carries all the way down under to my rear diff. Not giant but slow and steady enough at temp that it makes that long trek to my rear end. The bearing noise was only once, but enough to signal: hey shit is not good down here anymore and more things to come and not good ones. Hell only after 3 nights this last repair and refresh on some engine bits, my all new Swepco oil change went from clean purple to where the hell is it and dirty as hell, not a good sign. This had never happened prior.

This was just after I had got her back too. We buttoned up some other things and as you know that at times, if things are not put together correctly this will cause those weak spots to finally show, sure enough after the fact the new problems arose. I will be getting some photos posted soon of what it is all looking like. I am not currently burning coolant or anything but just the tiniest of a leak on the back end on the motor. Hell just pulling it out to fix that alone, I would be out some major coin just in labor as it is not fixable while in the car. So if it is getting pulled it is getting pulled for good. I no longer have access to free shop time or a lift and all the tools I need to get it done myself anymore after my last move. So I have to rely on some great guys I know at BK Industries for a lot of things these days. The leak in the back is the hard-line that runs all the way under the motor basically and back up into the motor at the rear, I forget what it is called right now. I am also going through some medical issues and not been the sharpest mentally lately so please forgive me for not having the mental clarity to be more clear for you.

You made some very valid, factual and great points but it is just not what is able to happen for me and what is going on with the 7M currently, as I have looked at all of my options and it is just better to go the swap route at this point for me and my car. If I knew some people personally who had a properly built 7M and could trust, I would slap one in, in a heartbeat. But alas I do not know of anyone let alone even to trust and refuse to risk anything like that at this point in my life. I am tired of getting burned and so fed up with it I want to physically harm those that have stolen from me knowing they sold me junk and I cannot walk around an angry man. So for my sanity I have to let it go and move forward. Also, I have run the numbers and thought long and hard about this difficult decision, it is for the best and the better thing to do.

You sir are a great person for offering help and thank you as well for your thoughts too, every little bit helps. I will NEVER get rid of my Supra, cheers to you! :)

Last edited:

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Authorized Seller
My 7MGTE is failing. I have put much money into it, fixing fuck ups in upgrade and a rebuild from shops that cut corners before I had purchased her. At this point if I do anything else it is just a band-aid and not worth pissing the money away in the long run. The motor has started seeping oil at high temps and boost at the oil pan and the hard line that runs all the way under and to the back of the motor has started doing the same thing at the seal, but barely when it gets to temp. So no real issue (yet with cooling) here. After one spirited drive, this right after sinking 1800$ more into her, I went to start it back up and heard that sound you do not want to, lower bearing noise for a split second. So at this point it is watch the oil level and no more getting into boost for the most part until she fails.

Once the failure happens the good bits will be listed in the appropriate section here on SM. My mechanic is sourcing me a low Km 1J (he works on the stuff I do not have the tools for) and I will be sticking with upgraded twins on this build. I will cherish the rest of the days I can hear that beautiful sound of my 7MGTE while I can. It hurts in so many ways but I have to do the right thing and make my money really work for me the best it can. I will be listing the spare head I have for it soon in my for sale section too. It is a sad day for me today. May you have better car luck than I have had. Much love all!!!!
I pretty much have the same thing going on with mine...I'm currently on a deployment but I managed to save up some money and there's a 2jz waiting for me in my garage when I get home!

Reactions: IchibanEye

IchibanEye

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I pretty much have the same thing going on with mine...I'm currently on a deployment but I managed to save up some money and there's a 2jz waiting for me in my garage when I get home!
Former here, get back safe and sound brother. Thanks for sharing that. What a great thing to look forward to when you get back home, sounds fun. Keep me in the loop about your swap when you return if you can.

andrew_mx83

Authorized Seller
Smash some 20w50 in, it will slow down the leaks and prolong whichever bearing is knocking.

If it were me I'd pull the pan off, roll a set of bearing shells in, reseal and call it done. Much cheaper/easier than a swap. But then we don't know the full story about what's been done or what's broken.

IchibanEye

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Smash some 20w50 in, it will slow down the leaks and prolong whichever bearing is knocking.

If it were me I'd pull the pan off, roll a set of bearing shells in, reseal and call it done. Much cheaper/easier than a swap. But then we don't know the full story about what's been done or what's broken.
You missed the part where I do not have that luxury and I am not band-aiding shit anymore, which is what you would be doing if it was you, with the thicker oil. I do things correctly and right the first time when I have full control and so I am starting fresh with a swap. Which will get a full tear down and all new seals and internal bits with a stand-alone and flex fuel. I am getting rid of this problematic 7MGTE.

If you read more of what I stated originally there are more problems/leaks than the only one you mentioned and then some. If you have the lift and time, please come over and do the work, I would be happy to have you do so, but then again how good is your work. Part of my problem from the last ass hat who owned it and then some. The upgrades I did and had done were done correctly but unfortunately having these be the strong points flushed out all of the shoddy work the other guy had done. Hence this will not be cheaper for me and will never allow me to attain my end goal and reliability. Thanks

I also decided to now go with the 2J over the 1J as it is newer and has the best long term support for parts and such down the road. It just makes sense. Working on getting money in order now. I should have the motor to the shop in about a month or so.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Authorized Seller
Former here, get back safe and sound brother. Thanks for sharing that. What a great thing to look forward to when you get back home, sounds fun. Keep me in the loop about your swap when you return if you can.
Glad to know it, this is my second go at being in the service I was Air Force and after a long break in service and some life changing events I re enlisted in the Army lol. But yeah, I will definitely keep you in the loop. Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?