Code 71 EGR temperature sensor defeat

91TurboDave

MkIII enthusiast
Authorized Seller
Does anyone have a strategy to fool the stock ECM on a 89+ 7M GTE that will eliminate a CODE 71? I am performing an EGR delete to clean up the engine bay, as soon as I disabled the EGR system, I instantly received a code 71. The code will return immediately after pulling the EFI fuse. I assume that the code is being triggered by the disconnected EGR temperature sensor, my car has CA emissions package. Your help is greatly appreciated.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Well, you do know that EGR is there for detonation control. If you are not using the JDM ECU, you will increase knock/detonation in the specific areas that EGR works which is low load cruise.

the more intresting part. You have a Cali based TCCS and not many people bypassed that system. It would probably be easier to swap out the TCCS to a none cali based TCCS than to figure out correct resistor/wattage to bypass the EGR temp failure.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
My statement still stands,

we do not know the value in which the EGR temp throws a fault. Without that key information AND the information of temp vs resistance. It would be highly unlikely that we can answer that accurately.

On the fueling, you mentioned piggy back. Which one. The fueling is never an issue in the MKIII supra. It is the ignition control that is a must in order to not grenade your 7M.