Code 12, Cam Position Sensor failure

I've been having starting issues on my '91 turbo since I got it. After a couple of fix attempts, including a new battery and starter (pita), I finally reached a crank/no start situation. I'm throwing a code 12 for no cam position signal.

At the same time as this problem developing, I also had all six injectors spraying into the cylinders, flooding the engine. Is this related to CPS failure?

Before I start a search for a new sensor, are there any techniques for diagnosing the sensor and its associated wiring? I haven't found any diagrams for the plugs and where they go, so I wouldn't want to replace the sensor only for it to be a wiring problem.

Turns out my timing belt failed. Took the cam cover off, cranking the car doesn't turn the timing belt. Oof.

Last edited:

suprajim54

Authorized Seller
The belt is broken or just doesn't turn when cranking? It's a non-interference engine so no worries about damage to valves/pistons. If the belt isn't broken then you probably either broke the spring on the tensioner or the cogged pulley on the crankshaft is broken.

The belt is broken or just doesn't turn when cranking? It's a non-interference engine so no worries about damage to valves/pistons. If the belt isn't broken then you probably either broke the spring on the tensioner or the cogged pulley on the crankshaft is broken.
Actually, it's much worse. Taking a 3-foot breaker bar to the camshafts doesn't turn them. My camshafts seized up.

I don't know what I'm gonna do. I'm going back to college in a few days, so there's nothing I can do about it for a good long while. Time to think, however.

suprajim54

Authorized Seller
You can't move either one of the camshafts? If just the exhaust side is stuck, maybe the gear teeth on the CPS and the camshaft aren't lined up preventing you from turning them? Just spitballing here

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Authorized Seller
How destroyed is that belt? the cams not turning while that thing cranking on must of shredded that thing..