Car wont start after engine wash

alcyon

Authorized Seller
So silly me I washed my 1G GTE engine yesterday . I covered the distributor, igniter, afm, and alternator with plastic bags. I also hosed the top of the center part of the engine. Silly me I pulled the spark plug leads, and I saw water inside the spark plug wells . I pulled the 1st 3 wires and i stopped at the 4th, figured out that perhaps pulling out the leads was causing water to go in. SO i tried my best to dry out the wells but still not 100% dry. I left the leads out to dry the wells, next day while still having some water in the wells, i tried starting, it cranked but wouldnt start. I removed all the leads and found water around plugs 4 and 5 also, I proceed to stuff a cotton pad in each well and managed to dry out each well completely. I figured it would now start , but still it wouldnt, it cranked and but refused to start. I checked all the fuses that has to do with ignition as well as the ecu, all were fine. One fuse did blow though, the 100A ALT fuse. I can only get a replacement fuse tomorrow. I do not have a spark plug removal tool at this time so i cant test if the plugs are firing.
So my question is, could water in the plug wells cause a short a blow this 100A fuse? Is the 100A fuse related to the igniter, distributor, ECU or Fuel pump relays ?

Last edited:

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
You dont have a spark plug socket? Id remove all the plugs and turn the engine over to clear the cylinders. Test your leads with a multi meter. Replace the fuse, you should be good to go.

alcyon

Authorized Seller
Problem solved. The wet spark plug wells caused the ignitors to not fire the plugs. And my repeated attempts to start the engine resulted in it flooding. The ECU then stored an error code and disabled the fuel pump (can hear it not running). I disconnected the batt, removed the 100A fuse, and left it overnight with the plug wires out.
The next day, I replaced the 100A fuse(because I damaged it trying to pull it out, apparently its bolted on and the bolts are hidden below,sneaky toyota), plugged back batt, the spark plug wells were completely dry. Re plugged coil cables, and It started up on the first try. Restarted a total number of 6 times in 1hr so all is good now.

Last edited: