Car starts but dies immediately

Karlheinrichs

Hi there! Brand spanking new to supra Mania and I've been on this forum ALOT lately lol. So I got a 88 supra 7mgte r154. The car will stumble to life if the key goes from "acc" to "start", but if I got from "on" to "start" it wont even try. I got this car in non running condition as a project and I've had it for about a month. The wiring in this thing was HORRIBLE! I stripped a bunch of bs that didnt need to be there of the car in an attempt to make things a bit more simple and clean. The main thing was that it had a after market ecu piggy back (maftpro) and I ended up taking that off casue I didnt want it, also had a water meth tank the I took off to. I ended up getting a new used stock harness and a stock maf casue the piggy back was ran off of speed density sensor. So new harness, same ecu. It has 550cc 2jz injectors and a walbro fuel pump along with the fuel pressure gauge in the engine bay and is reading 40psi. New plugs, wires, and ignition coils. It's getting fuel and has good compression and the timing is dead on. I got 5 months till it needs to run and drive or its gotta get out of my parents garage lol. Thanks for reading I hope I gave enough and the right info!

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Are all your grounds coming from the engine wiring harness connected on the lower intake manifold (near the 5th cylinder intake runner)?

If you plan on running 550cc injectors then you should get the AFM housing found in certain Lexus models with the v8. This AFM housing is a plug in play and is 25% larger so it will match your 550 injectors perfectly or else your should run the factory 440cc turbo fuel injectors with the factory Supra AFM.

If you plan on removing the piggyback are you replacing it with something else or do you just plan on running the stock ECU only?

Karlheinrichs

Are all your grounds coming from the engine wiring harness connected on the lower intake manifold (near the 5th cylinder intake runner)?

If you plan on running 550cc injectors then you should get the AFM housing found in certain Lexus models with the v8. This AFM housing is a plug in play and is 25% larger so it will match your 550 injectors perfectly or else your should run the factory 440cc turbo fuel injectors with the factory Supra AFM.

If you plan on removing the piggyback are you replacing it with something else or do you just plan on running the stock ECU only?
Yeah the grounds are fine there all connected and good. And yeah I've heard about the lexus mod I think I will do that! And yeah I'm just trying to run it stock for a while then modify it the way I want to. I found out that two out of my three coil packs aren't working as they should, I checked the power to the coil connectors and I'm getting power to all three. I think it could be my igniter that's busted? I found one from the Toyota soarer it has a 7mgteu but it's the same part number.

quickstudy

Authorized Seller
weird to turn over only going from acc to start. it will barely run, if at all with 550s without lexus afm. coils are still available new from Standard. they appear to be oem. i have spares and spare igniters, but i would do the afm first. I would check igniter again by tsrm. if your timing is dead on then you have spark. try the inductive pickup of your timing gun on whatever plug wires you can access. pull the CPS and spin it by hand for easier testing. last resort, pull plugs ground them, unplug fuel pump, and visually confirm spark in correct order. Dead igniter is uncommon on this engine, and wouldn't explain your no start from on position.

Karlheinrichs

I figured it out! The CPS wires were mixed up, thing runs mint! Still have some minor things to do but I test drove it for the first time and dam...that thing scoots! Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!