Cam shaft Positioner making the car stall.

JGD

Authorized Seller
Good Evening Everyone

Have you ever had an issue when your car had been running for a while and when you are at a stop sign. the car will stall. I had an issue in the past where the car didn't start and it was due to a wire in the cam shaft positioner where it was loose. I repaired all the wiring and have no issue with the start and it runs beautifully, but a few times last summer at a red light or stop , it stalled on me but was able to start it again.

Can you help?

Have a great night. Can't wait for the nice weather to get here.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
That's never been the case for me, but I suppose it could happen. The CPS has been a problem for me on multiple 7M's, but always during startup.

I think the tendency for the CPS to not kill a running motor is due to a couple potential things:
1. Perhaps the CPS signal is weakest during the slow RPM and low voltage of start-up.
2. The motor is more susceptible to misfires during start up. Once running, a few missed timing events aren't as detrimental.

Those may both be completely wrong, but that's my theory.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
if the wiring is good, check the air gaps as per the TSRM. It could also just be 27+ year old sensors not working as well as they did when new. Do you have access to another CPS to swap in to see if it is indeed the CPS?