CajunKenny's Build Thread

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
About me:

My name is Kenny Nichols and I am a full-blooded cajun. You've heard that song "Born on the Bayou"? Well, that's me! I was born on Bayou Bienvenue in Louisiana. I moved to Washington when I was 17 for college and stayed ever since.

I was born and raised around racing. My uncle was featured in "Hot Rod Magazine" for breaking several records with his car called "NovaCaine". He then went on to racing drag boats. My other uncle also raced boats and my dad was into 'Circle Track' racing.

My first introduction to MKIII's was a friend of mine took me for a ride in his 89 Turbo. I was instantly hooked! I had owned a lot of V8's and been in some fast cars; but, the spool of the trubo did it for me!

I searched for about 4 months and found my first Supra. It was a Burgandy 87 Turbo Hard Top. It had TEMS and grey interior. I drove it for about a month then got a rod knock. The car then sat for 4 years in my garage until I finally joined SM. Through here, a now good friend of mine, contacted me and helped get the car back on the road. About a year later, I lost control in the rain and totalled the car. It was close to the sadest day of my life...

4 months later, I found my absolutely favorite of all MKIII's. A Black 91, 5 Speed, TEMS, Shadow Grey Leather Interior, and Factory Sun-Roof. I had to have it! Two weeks after I bought it, I blew the HG. I have since fixed that and done a few other things to the car.

My BHG also blew my Heater Core, a hose, and DESTROYED my radiator. And I mean Destroyed!! When I pulled it out, it was 'Oval' shaped and the core was split in two!

After putting her back together with the HKS MHG she was supposed to have when I bought her, I found that 5 of the 7 exhaust manifold bolts had been stripped. To make matters worse, they POORLY installed Heli-Coils. I re-drilled and re-tapped all of the bolt holes and installed solid thread inserts. I had the Heater Core rebuilt and installed a Koyo Rad. Muuuuch better now! :)

Last edited:

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hey Kenny, looking foreword to pics of your build. Your car sounds alot like mine, black '91 shadow grey leather, TEMS-now gone, sun roof.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
Hey Fred! Yep...they're aren't many of us left!

Let me know if you have any interior parts you need rid of.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
I know!!! I keep looking; but, can't seem to find the one I want. I've seen it on other supra's; but, can't find anyone selling it.

The search goes on... :(

GC89

BoostRodeo
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I know!!! I keep looking; but, can't seem to find the one I want. I've seen it on other supra's; but, can't find anyone selling it.

The search goes on... :(
3 hole bomex, shine makes one last I checked. Car looks great

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
Close; but, no. The one I saw had only three vents on it. Maybe like the one GC89 is referring to. I'll search for a pic and also browse Shine's website.

EDIT: As I look closer, that one only has three. Maybe that is it!

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
Here's my latest problem. This cap/plug blew out. Don't know why; but, the car wouldn't boost beyond 10 psi and this is what I found.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
Currently the turbo is off and the down-pipe got picked up today to go to the shop for some Bung Welding. Wideband here I come...! :)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
Got my downpipe back yesterday and the bung-holio looks good!!! :biglaugh:

Note where my EGT is plumbed...

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
Ok. I got the WB sensor mounted and the DP back in. I ran the WB wires up behind the brake lines and followed the main harness to the passenger side.

There I had to drill a hole and install a grommet. After that, I removed the old Narrow Band AFR Poop-of-A-Gauge and mounted the new one.

Here are the pics.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
I fixed the hole in the TB with a cut screw and some JB Weld. We'll see if it'll hold.

I know what you're thinking...and no, it doesn't look bad. ;)

Here's a pic of it.

Last edited:

rtrdpenguin

Authorized Seller
Wow, I love your black car! It's so clean! I feel your pain on the BHG and stripped exhaust studs, that happened to mine too. And rod knock :(

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
Thanks! Yeah, I like it. No, I love it! :)

Yep. I fear that a rod knock is next. That usually follows a BHG. Got my fingers crossed though...

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hey Kenny, your car looks great. Nice work! You might want to check out the clear bubble front marker light lenses that Wolfie makes, they look really good with the clear front corners.

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Authorized Seller
Car looks good! I like this pic the most.

[thumb]http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/CajunKenny_photos/Supra/Sup2.jpg[/thumb]

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
Ok. My latest "Supra" event was that my timing belt decided to jump some teeth. It jumped one tooth on the exhaust side and four teeth on the intake side. :aigo:

I got it all re-aligned then noticed a small tear in the center of my timing belt. I'll be replacing that soon!

Anyway here's a pic of my tooth jumping event.

Last edited:

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Authorized Seller
Hey Kenny do you want a new t belt I have a few extras? Also do you want my stock lip it is in decent shap I would say a 8 out of 10. I just finished up putting on a Bomex 3 hole. If so LMK just pay the shipping I dont really want/need it hanging around.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
Wut up Matt! I have a new belt on the bench already; but, thanks!

As far as the lip, I have a couple of the stock ones, I just haven't put one on yet because I figured I'd wait until I got the one I wanted.

So how do you like your new lip? I SOOOOO want to get one. Did you get yours thru the group buy?

Let me know when you get a pic posted somewhere so I can check it out.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Authorized Seller
Will do .
Nope I got it from Kwnate as part of a trade I am going to underlay the bottom with some sheet metal so when I scrape I will be rubbing metal not fiberglass. I may even back fill it with some expanding foam to stiffen it up more

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
This is just a thought; but, you might want to be careful not to stiffin it up too much. You'll want some flex to reduce the chance of breaking.

Is it red already?