Break Fluid loss

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
My brother has an 89 turbo 5 speed w/ABS and my Dad took it out for a drive the other day and the break pedal went to the floor when he applied the break mid drive. He was able to get the car home safely using the e-brake. Upon inspection all of the fluid was gone in the front section of the reservoir but remained in the rear section. You could also see that fluid was leaking between the booster and the fire wall. The rest of the care was inspected and its not leaking anywhere else. My dad said he filled up the reservoir and the pedal was firm again.
I am looking for input to see what you guys think the problem could be. He also pulled the vacuum hose on the booster and it was dry inside. After doing some research someone said that hose would be wet with break fluid if the booster was bad. At this point I am guessing the master cylinder in which case I would get one from Driftmotion. Could this be as simple as the gasket between the maser cylinder and booster has gone bad? Lastly, the rubber grommets the reservoir sits into do not appear to be leaking.

This car sits for long periods of time and isn't driven much.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I would fill it up a bit with brake fluid and with the Supra off, pump the brakes hard to make sure you are 100% sure you know where the leak is coming from. Where ever your brake leak is, it is a good idea to replace those old rubber brake lines with some stainless steel ones. My old 87 non turbo had a front rubber brake line pop in 2002 and my 87 turbo when I got it had a leaky rear metal brake line in 2007.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
I also am going to swap my old rubber lines with the stainless steel ones once I'm able to find them at a good price. Ones I found where $100+ for the set! A bit out of my budget.

I've also heard of the calipers leaking. If that's the case it is a easy rebuild. I just rebuilt all four of mine. Works like a dream.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I also am going to swap my old rubber lines with the stainless steel ones once I'm able to find them at a good price. Ones I found where $100+ for the set! A bit out of my budget.

I've also heard of the calipers leaking. If that's the case it is a easy rebuild. I just rebuilt all four of mine. Works like a dream.
I paid $101 about 10 years ago for a GoodRidge set and the cheapest I see now is about $107 plus shipping which is not too bad of a price jump. They did come with a lifetime warranty card you fill out. About 10 years ago there was cheap ebay knock off stainless steel lines going around $50 and I personally have seen those leak and fail within 100 miles on another members Supra.

f00g00

Authorized Seller
Contributor
The actual Booster can hold alot of fluid in it and it won't be visible in the vacuum hose. I changed my booster a few months ago and the booster was almost 20 pounds and full of fluid. You can check also under the dash where the rod comes out through the firewall and see if it is leaking there. Best to pull the whole thing to be sure.