Bolt on Big Brake Kit For around 300$.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
No clue.

you need at least some clearance so it doesn’t rub. Other than that a tight fit is ok. I like to have at least a few mm min.

CTsupra

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: debrucer

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Here is a set.

Still lots of these for cheap available.

Also from here, just have to call the places to find out if they are the right style.

Reactions: CTsupra

CTsupra

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Here is a set.

Still lots of these for cheap available.

Also from here, just have to call the places to find out if they are the right style.
I was able to source a set locally for $50.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
looks like 99-06' are all the same? PN seems to be the difference between black painted or finished aluminum. And electronic wear sensors... the bridge and actual cal look the same.

Damn you guy i was just going to buy those cals for $70 lol

Last edited:

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
The key feature to look at are the 2 mounting ears.
They need to look like the ones referenced earlier.

W220 is the chassis code also you want to use as search keyword.

kmtsd

Authorized Seller
For those who used the stock brake hoses, how did you route them to the caliper? In order to get the banjo bolt lined up, there is a pretty harsh angle in the hose, if I use the stock mounting brackets for the hoses.

Dave 1jz

Authorized Seller
I have routed the brake lines via the upper A-arm, same as the abs wiring. This gave me plenty of space to have a good radius everywhere. The radius i see in post #444 seem to tight for my taste. I removed the original hub brackets, no need for these when running via the upper A-arm.

kmtsd

Authorized Seller
I have routed the brake lines via the upper A-arm, same as the abs wiring. This gave me plenty of space to have a good radius everywhere. The radius i see in post #444 seem to tight for my taste. I removed the original hub brackets, no need for these when running via the upper A-arm.
Okay so you still have it connected to the upper mounting bracket? I don't have abs so I'll have to find a diagram somewhere.

Dave 1jz

Authorized Seller
Like this, so i removed the bracket on the wheel hub itself.

I must add that this is not how it is now, i have added the same rubber 'boots' like the ABS wire to protect against rubbing. It looks like the line touches at the ball joint, but this is the perspective of the picture.

rem.jpg

Supra mn

Authorized Seller
This was briefly mentioned earlier in the thread, but wasn't really explained:

If your brakes are squealing, chances are you have the incorrect retaining clip.
Here's the service bulletin Mercedes put out many years ago: https://www.billsden.org/fileadmin/media/mercedes/slk/docs/dtb_p_b_42_10_51d.pdf

They essentially redesigned the retaining clip so it doesn't drag on the rotor and added vibration dampers inside the caliper piston.

Side note, the Vito/V-class (W447) rotors that align perfectly can be sourced from Europe, but expect to pay ~$250 for Brembo blanks. Half of that's in shipping.

just1higg

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a rear upgrade? I've read that Mk4 TT brakes bolt on, but I haven't been able to find a detailed post on that. I'd consider it if I could find a set for sale somewhere around here. For what it's worth I've read about the Evo 8 upgrade, but those calipers have gotten so expensive.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Evo 8 calipers cost look the same or less than when I bought them.

I would recommend going that route, I love them.

$300 level is expensive?
I'd say that's incredibly cheap for a full floating dual piston bolt on Brembo caliper.

just1higg

Evo 8 calipers cost look the same or less than when I bought them.

I would recommend going that route, I love them.

$300 level is expensive?
I'd say that's incredibly cheap for a full floating dual piston bolt on Brembo caliper.
Yeah, maybe I wasn't Ebaying well. $350 isn't bad. I was seeing $500-$600 range for some reason, which isn't great.

just1higg

Speaking of, these are the right calipers for the front, right? I've seen some disagreement about the dog-ear brackets versus the joined ones. This isn't a bad price for 2020.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yup those appear to be the right style.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
I've put like 5-600 miles on the front setup with some Centric red coated pads w/ the polymer coated rotors. They are phenomenal, should've been this way from the factory. The fronts were way under sized for the weight of the car alone.