Body Molding Refinishing - Color Change?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I haven't seen anyone address this "properly". Hoping someone hiding out there has some tips after going through it themselves.

The late year body moldings are color-matched to the paint. The moldings are NOT a uniform sheen and I think this adds a significant visual benefit. IE painting over it with one sheen looks non-OEM. The main molding is satin and there's a clear (I assume PVC) strip with pinstripes that is back-painted. This creates a nice contrast of high-gloss against satin.

I color-changed my 91 from Blue Metallic to Teal Metallic (or medium turquoise). I see no way of color changing the PVC strip. It appears to be a two part assembly that is permanently bonded to a black rubber backing with the painted layer in the middle.

Has anyone dealt with this in a way other than simply painting over top of the molding? Has anyone found a custom extrusion that is similar?

I'm debating having custom extrusions of clear PVC done so I can recreate the OEM finish. Might be hard to justify the investment for just this one car, but I have a feeling others out there will want something similar as time goes on and "nice" rebuild/restoration projects become more common.

Here's my trim:
1593886097412.png

and here's the PVC section removed (it's just held on with double sided foam tape):
1593886168110.png

Here's the backside showing the rubber underlayer:
1593886197500.png

Notice the significant sheen difference on this mint 92 teal:
1593886287420.png

Reactions: AndreyNVKZ

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Well, as an update to folks, so far, nobody knows anything on this. The only recommendation I've received is to simply paint over it.

I've got quote requests out to some custom PVC extrusion companies. I'm thinking I might be able to just make my own.

Reactions: debrucer