Battery Cable Options

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
Does anyone know the best option for replacing the positive and negative battery cables? I contacted Toyota and they are discontinued. I wanted to source the OEM cables if possible as they would be the correct length etc. I am aware I could piece this together myself from Pep Boys/Autozoze but would rather have it be OEM. I thought back in the day Driftmotion sold these but I no longer see them available. I do see they sell heavy gauge wire for battery relocation but that's it. Open to suggestions. Thanks.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
buy wire, lugs, etc and make them, it's really not that difficult. Welding cable is generally a good wire to use, it is flexible and multistranded copper. You can use the same size as stock, or increase it if you are going be seeing higher currents for stereos and such. I used 1/0 when relocating my battery to the hatch. If you are replacing battery cables, also look at the various grounds in the engine bay, they can degrade with age and heat.

Reactions: debrucer

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
OK Thanks. I see Driftmotion is selling 2/0 but I will source my own. The negative cable/ ground looks to be very aged.

About once a year I will start the car and drive somewhere and then go to start it again and the battery is completely dead. The battery, alternator and starter are all good b/c as soon as I recharge the battery its runs fine again for the next year.

I am going to start by replacing the ground coming off the battery to the frame and negative cable.

Where does the negative battery cable run to after it comes off the battery? I cant tell as it goes down into a wire loom but I am guessing to the block? I will dive into it this weekend. Should be pretty self explanatory.

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
OK Thanks. I see Driftmotion is selling 2/0 but I will source my own. The negative cable/ ground looks to be very aged.

About once a year I will start the car and drive somewhere and then go to start it again and the battery is completely dead. The battery, alternator and starter are all good b/c as soon as I recharge the battery its runs fine again for the next year.

I am going to start by replacing the ground coming off the battery to the frame and negative cable.

Where does the negative battery cable run to after it comes off the battery? I cant tell as it goes down into a wire loom but I am guessing to the block? I will dive into it this weekend. Should be pretty self explanatory.
The negative battery cable runs to the body with that 10mm bolt (night next to battery) and also connects to the engine block with the 14mm bolt. Those are the only two grounds coming off of the negative battery terminal.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
If you build your own, make sure that you get OFC (Oxygen Free Copper). If the price is cheap/suspect it is more than likely copper clad aluminium which sucks.

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Awesome, appreciate you confirming.
No problem. I also suggest you replace and upgrade the grounds from the body going to the cylinder head and the ground for the transmission. The OEM wire for those grounds are so small and you might find corrosion at the wire ends.

I do, too, @plaaya69 since I'll be doing much of the same... soon :) So much good info at this place:)
I agree. I hope you were acitve around here 10+ years ago when new threads were started and questions were usually answered within a few minuets. Good times back then but I am glad to see good people in the Supra community are still around and the new upcoming ones too.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Prowireusa.com
Milspecwiring.com
Racespeconline.com

Has all the good stuff to make new cables or harness.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Here is a 4 gauge wire that I made crimped with a copper lug.

20190519_173424-1470x3024.jpg
20190519_173502-1470x3024.jpg
20190526_125852-1372x2822.jpg

Any full copper wire works. I prefer the "audio" cable as they are more flexible. Not too important for 4 gauge but I ran 0 gauge front the battery to the starter and 0 gauge from starter to alternator.

The 4 gauge wire goes to the main fuse block up front.