Average amount of oil recovered after an oil change on a stockish 7M-GTE?

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
I was curious about how much oil people see come out of their cars when doing an oil change on a stockish 7M-GTE?
(Not sure how much mods affect consumption.)

I seem to always see something between 3 and 4 quarts, which concerns me a bit although I never notice blue exhaust and I have no leaks.

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Then you should be adding oil in between oil changes. Driving with low oil is not good.

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
The weird thing is the dipstick has never read low. And I even do the whole check after driving and waiting 5-10 minutes as recommended. I don't even drive 3000 miles a year, so I find the unexplained oil consumption odd.

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
No troubles there, and I don't ever see oil on the floor or in/on the engine undertray : )

By the way, are most people still using 6 quarts when doing an oil change? I had read a lot of old threads recommending this.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
If you measure from the bottom of the crankshaft to the full mark on the dipstick when the oil pan is off there is a huge amount of clearance.
No issue running to 6 qt of oil that I have seen.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Yeah, unlike some other engines that will foam and burn oil with just 0.5 qt over, the 7M can run with 2 quarts over and be fine. The crank is way above the oil level.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
By the way, are most people still using 6 quarts when doing an oil change?
I also do 6 qts of oil during my oil changes and keep it slightly above the full mark on the dipstick for the last 12 years on the 7mGTE motor. Much rather have a bit extra than not enough but no problems have came out of running 6 qts of oil that I know of.

SupraTrbo89

Authorized Seller
That's good to know guys. Thanks. What was the point of the modified oil pans that a few company's use to make that held additional oil if you can add extra oil without issue anyways.