Are quality 7M's and parts a thing of the past?

TravisD62

Authorized Seller
Hey guys,
I've been out of the loop for a good while now but am finally ready to get my car built up. I've had a mint 87 5 speed turbo sitting in the garage for close to 10 years now, but am kicking myself for selling the engine out of it. I blew a hose and badly overheated the original 7m I had which ended in a blown MHG on my freshly built motor and ended up selling it with the intention of going 2JZ later on. My plans have changed over the years I guess, and now I'm stuck kind of wanting to restore the car to its former glory and have a reliable, clean example of a MK3 rather than a high hp fully built race car. I would love to put a fresh 7m back in along with all these parts I purchased forever ago but am having a hell of a time finding the last few pieces. Mainly, I need a 7m longblock, and would love a good quality bolt on turbo upgrade. I had a Driftmotion 67mm T4 kit and ended up selling it because it just wasn't really the quality or kind of thing I was looking for. I'm not looking to make a ton of hp, but theres something appealing to me about the upgrades that were available in the 90's/00's and id like something similar if possible. I have an HKS intercooler kit, VPC, fcon, full exhaust, downpipe, BOV, RC 550's, Koyo rad, MK4 fuel pump, AFPR, Wideband, and a ton of other stuff for the 7m. Would be awesome to be able to use it all. Can anyone recommend a suitable turbo that would land me between say 350-400hp thats of half decent quality, or a place to buy a solid remanufactured 7m, or is my best bet going to be looking through the forums and for sale ads and trying to catch something as it comes up? Thanks!

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Putting aside the obvious T4 setups, the bolt on options are still viable, especially with the use of billet compressor wheels and various blade count turbine wheels. Allowing you to fine tune the turbos characteristics slightly. 57 trim or 60 trim upgraded CT26s will meet that goal easily. If you're wanting to do a T4 setup, then something like a 5860 will get you in that range of power. I am with you on the use of old school quality parts, but my experience with the VPC/GCC wasnt what I expected so I ended up going with a PnP MegaSquirt 3 Pro box, I still have some other old school stuff hooked up like my EVC 4, and IPM.

For finding a quality 7M, I would assess what you already have and go from there. You're better off building it yourself unless you're willing to ship the engine out to get rebuilt in which case you have various options.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
For the longblock, post on Facebook marketplace. I've got 2 shortblocks, one for $100, one for free, that I got after posting a want to buy ad. Both need rebuilds obviously, but worth it for the price.

Honestly, with that power goal, I would go with a good stock rebuild, upgrade the oiling system (search, lots of info here) and go with an upgraded CT, probably one with a billet wheel from Albert Meade. He's on Instagram, I think on Facebook as well: https://www.instagram.com/azturbodaddy/?hl=en

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
Two options, SP performance can make you a quality mk3 kit which will make much more than 350-400 you are asking.

I had my ct26 upgraded by albert meades and I'm making 430 whp right now...

Mods are pretty simple...

Original 69k engine
HKS turbo sport exhaust
Carb legal 3" cat
upgraded air filter (in stock air box)
MS3 PNP pro ems, Ethanol content sensor/WB 02
850 CC injectors, walbro 450
Spearco drop in IC (stock ic pipes)

I'm sure I'd hit more if I add helper springs to make more boost, but I peak 26 PSI at 4k, but drop as revs go up due to exhaust wheel choking up

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Im a fan of Holset turbos, they’re incredibly efficient and very cheap. Rebuilds on them are also cost effective. Here in the Midwest there are tons of diesel shops that rebuild and customize them for very reasonable prices. In total you can have a very efficient turbo for less than $500.
An hx35 w/ a 12cm turbine housing would be perfect for your goals of 350-400 with near stock boost response.

Reactions: debrucer

vtec__

new to supras but have had toyotas in the past.

some people are wanting alot of money for beat cars just because they run lol

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
just the nature of the beast. As more and more of these cars are sent to scrap yards, there is less available supply. I remember over a decade ago, you could pick up a clean turbo mk3 for less than $3,000. Now you would be hard pressed to find a clean unmolested example for less than $7,000 or even $10,000 in some cases depending on mileage.

vtec__

yepp. its like this w/ evos too....a clean unmolested lower mileage evo 9 will fetch 25-30K easily. thats what they went for new

are y'all having problems getting parts?

Last edited:

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
If only you knew what it takes to get these 30+ year old cars back into reliable, running condition. Then you would understand. They're not 4 cyl hondas. You have to both have knowledge and money to make these dependable, reliable, and modern. An MKIII is not for a "green" enthusiast. Don't buy one unless you expect to learn the TSRM and have 202 level automotive electrical skills and can deal with parking it for months at a time when something needs to be sorted out. The guys that daily these have had them for years and have rebuilt stem to stern.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
If only you knew what it takes to get these 30+ year old cars back into reliable, running condition. Then you would understand. They're not 4 cyl hondas. You have to both have knowledge and money to make these dependable, reliable, and modern. An MKIII is not for a "green" enthusiast. Don't buy one unless you expect to learn the TSRM and have 202 level automotive electrical skills and can deal with parking it for months at a time when something needs to be sorted out. The guys that daily these have had them for years and have rebuilt stem to stern.
Tell me about it! Purchased the day before I joined here in 2006. Drove it home: broke down and flat-bedded. Drove it to the coin-op car wash, washed the engine, drove home and took it apart. Flat bedded two more times from garage one, to garage two, to it's current garage. Been here for 8 years this coming April. That's $48,000 in just this garage rent. Another $33,000 spent by the end of 2015 when I decided to quit keeping track of the money. Easily another $6000 since then. Relocating the oil filter and upgrading the cooler were $600. One job. Not a daily driver... yet. I'm 72 and our government is killing people like me. There's going to be a fantastic "barn find" in San Diego when I die :( Engine going in this year... hopefully, and running next year. I can attest... it's a challenge :)

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
CPS, fuse blocks, Main COR circuit, etc etc... 30 years old. That's why you would need to be able to ID the system then diagnose it based off the schematic.

Reactions: debrucer