AR5 Trans Take Two: The Solstice Solution

rodama5anthony

Authorized Seller
read through the thread but I didnt or missed any talk about the transmission mounts. do the r154 trans mount and bushing bolt straight on the ar5?

rookie_41

Authorized Seller
No, you have to use the mount from the Ar5 and I made my own mount bracket. I have more pictures I can upload. My supra is around the 500hp and so far so good no issues with the transmission yet. still shifts like butter. I went with the single driveshaft and clutch disk from drift motion FYI. the real down fall to this project was, I didn't have a R154 to start with. So by the time it was complete I have around $1800. invested. It will be a lot cheaper if you already have aR154 to take the parts off of..BUT, if I do blow this tranny up they are easy to get ahold of and it will only be around $500. Bottom line is if you have a blown R154 everything will swap off of it to the AR5 except shifter housing, tranny mount clutch disk. Drive shaft can be used with adapters. I just chose to go with driftmotions driveshaft.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
Bringing this up from the dead.

I've been looking at clutch options and I noticed that Spec offers an 800 TQ holding clutch for the Solstice in a single disc bronze material. Got me thinking, does the Solstice pressure plate work at all with the mk3 supra? Excuse my ignorance I haven't done this swap just thinking of clutch options as I don't want to spend 2.5 k on a clutch for a transmission i don't particularly like.

limequat

Dissident
Authorized Seller
When I did it I used a supra pressure plate/flywheel and some random GM clutch disk. I think it was 4 cyl S10!

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
So here's what I did for my R154 clutch, where the rivets behind the straps are, I drilled it out and tapped it for an m10 bolt and i machined the bolt to fit in the friction surface

bladsville

Authorized Seller
Can anyone confirm that a Supra R154 tailhousing fits on soltice AR5?

If that’s the case, then could one essentially run an AR5 in an MKIII with the stock trans mount and shifter.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
It does not. Lime tried that early on. Need custom or DM shifter housing and custom mounts.