Anyone reupholster a mk3 completely?

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
I'm looking at adding a suede layer to the plastics in the rear and all over the car. Also looking to do something on the dash... Anyone ever do this before and more importantly, how did it turn out?

Trying to upscale the interior a little.

Reactions: debrucer

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
It is not a Supra but in my Lexus GS300 I added a black suede like material from Michael's to the upper half of my interior. This material was a bit tricky to work with on curves so make sure your material you find has some stretch to it especially if you are doing a dash. I would also make sure your material you find would be good against sun fade especially for a dash. On a side note, 2 light layers of the 3M 90 spray works great for a adhesive but do not over do it or it can bleed through your fabric.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I had someone do my seats in black suede and black vinyl. The door panels are also the same way. I didn't touch the head liner though. I had mine done since I can't sew for shit. I paid 1200 for materials and labor. That's pretty cheap, but way down south where I live, people need money for cigarettes and beer and they're happy...…….lol

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I'm interested in the exact same. My goal at this point is to minimize the exposed plastic/vinyl. I think that will really class it up and hide the parts that look aged. I'm also looking to change the interior color as the blue just doens't do it for me, especially with the new teal exterior.

I did find a guy in Europe that redid most the car in grey alcantara. I think it looked really nice. I'll try to upload those once I get home so you can see one example. I think alcantara is the way to go for the majority of the interior surfaces.

Reactions: BigKO

BigKO

Authorized Seller
If anyone has pics that would be awesome. Been hoping to do something similar.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Here's the one I have saved on my PC.

Notable things to me:

1. Lots of OEM plastic is still present.
2. The lack of stitching in the door panel insert bugs me. It looks odd. OEM has stitching. Many aftermarket upholsterers can add diamonds or diagonals or something.
3. Grey steering wheel looks weird.
4. I really do like the alcantara on all the fabric areas, but it would probably be too much on all the vinyl as well. Maybe a mix of leather is needed to look really good? Not sure.

toyota-supra-03.jpg
toyota-supra-10.jpg
toyota-supra-11.jpg
toyota-supra-12.jpg
toyota-supra-13.jpg
toyota-supra-14.jpg
toyota-supra-15.jpg

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Here's the one I have saved on my PC.

Notable things to me:

1. Lots of OEM plastic is still present.
2. The lack of stitching in the door panel insert bugs me. It looks odd. OEM has stitching. Many aftermarket upholsterers can add diamonds or diagonals or something.
3. Grey steering wheel looks weird.
4. I really do like the alcantara on all the fabric areas, but it would probably be too much on all the vinyl as well. Maybe a mix of leather is needed to look really good? Not sure.

View attachment 82626
View attachment 82627
View attachment 82628
View attachment 82629
View attachment 82630
View attachment 82631
View attachment 82632
The lack of stitching on the door insert makes it look much more late 90s than late 80s, I like the seats, reminds me of japanese limited seats. I also like the Alcantara wrap on the steering wheel, but I feel it would look better if the whole thing was wrapped in Alcantara.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
looks great!! Thanks for the info... Yes, I'm wondering what to do with the dash. I want to get away from tan...
Just flock it... variety of colors to include black.

As a matter of fact,

Someone on facebook did this and it looks really good (this is not my picture or car)

FB_IMG_1578269601059.jpg

Reactions: plaaya69

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
my dash is flocked, I like it. If you are going to do it, use a spray gun for the glue and an air gun for the flocking. I used a brush/roller and a hand sprinkler thing for the flocking. It turned out decently, but would be better with the spray gun and air gun.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
That is so awesome, I've never heard of flocking before in my life! Learned something new!! Going to try it on my spare dash see how it turns out!

I don't see the spray gun for the glue?

Last edited:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
You can spray it with a paint gun (probably a detail gun?) if you thin it a bit with mineral spirits.

If you do brush/roll it on, spend the money to buy good quality brushes/rollers. It also is much easier with 2 people, as there is a somewhat limited amount of working time (10-15 minutes before the adhesive won't take the fibers anymore).

They have a guide on how to apply it. I'd suggest doing a test piece, maybe the glove box cover, as practice.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
worried that flocking will look like ass compared to some sort of material
I really want to use some good material over the dash to elevate the car.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
worried that flocking will look like ass compared to some sort of material
I really want to use some good material over the dash to elevate the car.
I would love to see two installed: one done by a novice like me, the other by a professional. I'm willing to bet I could make it look like crap without even trying hard :(
Possibly. If you take your time and use the right tools, it would probably turn out fine.

Or flock it.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Possibly. If you take your time and use the right tools, it would probably turn out fine.

Or flock it.
Mine's in great shape; however, still out of the car. So much left to do. Seriously, I'm struggling with the carpet. I've seen similar leather kits for other cars, uninstalled, and they were trimmed so close I just didn't want to tackle it. You're right though, probably not an impossible job.

Last edited:

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
yeah I saw the JF, but I don't think it will be very good to be honest, I don't see how leather can stay put well enough.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
you would need to glue it down to the dash. The pictures I found of them were decent (not supras) but it very much looks dependent on the installer.

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Glad to hear people are looking into doing this! My long term plans also include reupholstering the cloth interior pieces and potentially painting the plastics, just to refresh them a bit.
Also thinking about a custom fiberglass dash and gauge cluster as a science experiment.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
That's just a cover - not a leather kit for upholstering. Two different things, IMO. I don't trust that a cover would look very good.

An alcantara dash would be awesome. That's my probably path forward. I keep going back and forth on my interior plans, but every time I see a well done interior I cringe at the thought of installing the old stuff as is.