Anyone out there loving their ECUMaster Standalone??

Faye

7M Fangirl
Authorized Seller
As the title says, does anyone have any experience with the ECUMaster PNP Standalone that Driftmotion sells? (https://www.driftmotion.com/ECUMaster-PNP-Standalone-ECU-For-7M-GTE-1986-89-p/dm3341.htm)

I have found a few posts that are super old (for example, this one from SF: https://www.supraforums.com/threads/ecumaster-emu-on-my-7m-gte.839217/) and a couple others like that, but none that mention any sort of longevity or at least a couple years of positive experience with it. If anyone is running this right now, please comment or reach out to me - I am considering buying this and I'd love to pick your brain about it!

Thanks everyone :)
-Faye

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I was looking into getting the Black at some point. I think they might have new versions releasing this fall.

The facebook group for ECUMaster seems like the best place to get feedback.

Faye

7M Fangirl
Authorized Seller
I was looking into getting the Black at some point. I think they might have new versions releasing this fall.

The facebook group for ECUMaster seems like the best place to get feedback.
Oh, awesome. I am not huge on Facebook so I didn't even know this existed. I will check this out right away and also ask Aaron about the new version. Thank you so much for the info!

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
That is the same one I bought from DriftMotion. I ended up selling the PNP adapter because I did not want to run a stale oem engine wiring harness so I made a new one on the motor. I also run sequential fuel injection and I did not want to use the factory igniter so I have the ECU Masters standalone power the factory 7mGTE coils which provide a great spark. Getting things set up at first for me was a bit tricky and a learning curve too but now everything is just like oem. It idles as good as a oem computer (make sure you have a good tuner), check engine light works, rpm gauge works, a/c input works, fits in factory ecu spot and you have so many more additional features you can add depending on your build.

I was going to go with a AEM v2 but I am very happy with the ECU Masters classic not only for the price but the fail safes, inputs, outputs, features and other options are great too. I bought a bunch of stuff during black Friday in 2017 so if you can wait less than one month you will find some great deals out there on items like this.

Check out my build thread in my sig for pictures of everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piratetip

Faye

7M Fangirl
Authorized Seller
That is the same one I bought from DriftMotion. I ended up selling the PNP adapter because I did not want to run a stale oem engine wiring harness so I made a new on on the motor. I also run sequential fuel injection and I did not want to use the factory igniter so I have the ECU Masters standalone power the factory 7mGTE coils which provide a great spark. Getting things set up at first for me was a bit tricky and a learning curve too but now everything is just like oem. It idles as good as a oem computer (make sure you have a good tuner), check engine light works, rpm gauge works, a/c input works, fits in factory ecu spot and you have soo many more additional features you can add depending on your build.

I was going to go with a AEM v2 but I am very happy with the ECU Masters classic not only for the price but the fail safes, inputs, outputs, features and other options are great too. I bought a bunch of stuff during black Friday in 2017 so if you can wait less than one month you will find some great deals out there on items like this.

Check out my build thread in my sig for pictures of everything.
Oh my gosh, this is awesome to hear! I will definitely check out your build - and I will definitely take your advice on black friday!!
And I didn't realize it was even an option to bypass the ignitor and run the coils direct from the ECU. That is fantastic! That in addition to eliminating/replacing the afm would do wonders (i think!) for me.

Another issue is that I don't have a good tuner! That's a great point. I am new to the San Antonio area and so far haven't met anyone that knows much about these cars. That will be a big hurdle for sure. That an the learning curve you speak of as well!!

Thanks so much for the feedback!
-Faye

Reactions: plaaya69

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Driftmotion (and lots of other shops) do remote tunin where you plug your laptop in and they connect remotely. Works for street and dyno tuning

Reactions: plaaya69

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Oh my gosh, this is awesome to hear! I will definitely check out your build - and I will definitely take your advice on black friday!!
And I didn't realize it was even an option to bypass the ignitor and run the coils direct from the ECU. That is fantastic! That in addition to eliminating/replacing the afm would do wonders (i think!) for me.

Another issue is that I don't have a good tuner! That's a great point. I am new to the San Antonio area and so far haven't met anyone that knows much about these cars. That will be a big hurdle for sure. That an the learning curve you speak of as well!!

Thanks so much for the feedback!
-Faye
You are welcome. The oem multiplex is a option you can run in the ECU Masters tuning software but when you are getting this far in a build and with the features the standalone has to offer, it is just best to get rid of that and to start with a fresh engine wiring harness too. You also do not need the cold start injector, cold start injector time switch, 2 vsv's under the intake manifold, HAC sensor, AFM, factory o2 sensor to name off some parts plus the engine bay will look much nicer. The only 2 sensors you will need to add are the wideband and a GM air intake temp sensor to get it going.

Having the ecu power the factory 7m ignition coils is probably one of my favorite features along with the built in map sensor which is very convenient. Also the sequential fuel injection I went with gives the 7m a different tone and suprisingly I get good gas mileage with E85 (and a heavy foot lol). The tuning software is easy for most tuners to understand and I highly recommend you download the software with a base 7mGTE map on the ECU Masters site and you can mess around with it and try it out.

What are you power goals for your build?