Anyone Know When The OEM 7m Timing Belt Was Discontinued???

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Is the gates belt just old? Curious why you are changing it out

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Is the gates belt just old? Curious why you are changing it out
Good to know, thanks for the part numbers.

I never cared the blue powdery rubber coating on the exterior of the belt from day 1. That coating came off very easy even when handling it by hand and leaves a very fine very light blue power mess over some time. I will be running clear timing covers and would like them to stay as clean as they can be for as long as possible.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Ah interesting, I will steer clear of that gates "High Performance" belt then.
Probably not worth the cost.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Good to know, thanks for the part numbers.

I never cared the blue powdery rubber coating on the exterior of the belt from day 1. That coating came off very easy even when handling it by hand and leaves a very fine very light blue power mess over some time. I will be running clear timing covers and would like them to stay as clean as they can be for as long as possible.
How about the Greddy one? I as eyeing an upgraded belt of some kind. I'm fine with OEM if there's no real benefit to the aftermarket, but thought the upgraded ones were actually better reinforced.

http://www.greddy.com/products/engine/timing-belts/

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yeah they are supposedly better reinforced with synthetic aramaid fibers.
Though I have never seen any issues with the stock Toyota belts.

Unless you are running some crazy high spring rates on the valvetrain its probably not going to matter much.

Somewhat related but off topic note that comes to mind:
https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/project-spinal-tap-ii-the-valvetrain-dynamics-of-11000-rpm/
These guys are running valve springs with an open load of 1,230 pounds to prevent float / bounce at 11,000 RPM.
That kind of force would need some serious torque to spin the camshaft. (Though not as much of an issue with that aspect since chain driven.)
A good read nonetheless.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
i just bought one from Toyota today man. List price on it was $44.31, I got it for 33.23 through work. The idler was on back order too but it only took 3 days to get. The only thing they didn't have was the oil pulley

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
If I had to do it again I would have just stuck with the Toyota brand but I am doing it again now so it's kinda like a fresh start again lol.

How about the Greddy one? I as eyeing an upgraded belt of some kind. I'm fine with OEM if there's no real benefit to the aftermarket, but thought the upgraded ones were actually better reinforced.

http://www.greddy.com/products/engine/timing-belts/
From what I have heard in the past there is one supplier for the HKS, Greddy and Gates Racing 7m timing belts but I do not know if that is true or not. I am going back to the Toyota one because I never really heard of any failures even with higher HP.

i just bought one from Toyota today man. List price on it was $44.31, I got it for 33.23 through work. The idler was on back order too but it only took 3 days to get. The only thing they didn't have was the oil pulley
I just ordered a OEM timing belt today, thanks for the heads up.