Anyone know how to get ahold of Tokico Illumina II TEMS shocks?

VegaSupra

Authorized Seller

I concur with this statement.

But........ if I may add a piece of advice. Tokico working with TEMS is nice but it's old school and it was good for that time period. Considering the weight of the MKIII Supra and advances in suspension technology, the very best upgrade anyone can do to our beloved Supra's is a coilover suspension. Considering what people speak on lowering springs + Tokico shocks...... you should have just bought a nice coilover in the first place. We are eager to carry Tokico again for all chassis's we will keep this thread up to date on the news as soon as we have a positive supply for sale.

Thank you.
Thank you for your insight, but I must disagree (respectfully), but still...

I had the Eibach/Tokico/ST sway bar setup on my 91T "back in the day". And I gotta say.. I don't care what ANYBODY onearth says... that Supra handled like it was velcroed to the ground. I wanted for nothing with regard to the suspension after doing the full upgrade.

So... perhaps coilovers are the new schwag.... but even with the opposing viewpoints I've read from seasoned Supra owners about the progressive Eibach springs, I just don't agree. I had the H&R drop for 1 day, and hated everything about it. I had felt like I had made a huge mistake. The Supra was slung way way too low to the ground and I scrapped on everything. The tires were rubbing. It was awful. Switched out for the Eibachs the next day... Perfection.

So there you have it. If those Tokico Illuminas IIs become available, I'm in, without hesitation.

VegaSupra

Authorized Seller
Anyone have new info on this? Are we living in la la land hoping these Illuminas will come back? I don't wanna wait forever.

I could snatch up the blues in a hot second, but I would wait longer for the Illuminas if I knew it was still a real possibility.

Silver MK3

Authorized Seller
still no update? Man this is killing me. I made this thread 8 months ago!!!
I think last I heard from SupraStore (I think) was that they expect to have them around July. If that doesn't happen then I think I will just have to give up hope on the TEMS system and decide if I want to go with Bilsteins, Konis, coilovers, or whatever.

MkIII FTW

Authorized Seller
I really don't want to get rid of TEMS but if it comes to that so be it. If I were to do coilovers, does anyone have good suggestions?

VegaSupra

Authorized Seller
If I can't get these Illumina IIs, I am probably just gonna go with the Non-TEMS Tokico Blues.

As for July, well... I'll believe it when I see it. I have heard Dec, then Feb, then March, and now July.

Can't believe I didn't buy them when they were still in stock last year.

Silver MK3

Authorized Seller
If I can't get these Illumina IIs, I am probably just gonna go with the Non-TEMS Tokico Blues.

As for July, well... I'll believe it when I see it. I have heard Dec, then Feb, then March, and now July.

Can't believe I didn't buy them when they were still in stock last year.
I believe it is all Tokico products, so if you can't get the Illuminas then you cant get the Blues either...

lithium14

Authorized Seller
The great thing about the illumina 2s is for those mint stock MK3s that could use a suspension upgrade but need to retain TEMS to keep the mint stock interior look. Nobody likes buttons that don't do anything. Like my friends 92 teal. She wants to lower it, but keep TEMS, and the illumina 2s are the ONLY way to do that the correct way. I too, will be keeping an eye on this situation.

VegaSupra

Authorized Seller
Just got off the phone with TokicoUSA and then also with the new Tokico distributor, Motovicity.

Both parties CONFIRMED that they will indeed be sending out the TEMS Illumina II shocks to retailers nationwide in the end of May. I had them both look up the part number for front and rear and confirm it is for the 86-92 MK3 Supra. Also, the gentleman at TokicoUSA confirmed that he sees the "discontinued" report and that the Supra shocks are not on the report anywhere.

Looks like the wait on the Illuminas just might pay off after all!! :evil2: :eek:ffwall:

Silver MK3

Authorized Seller
Just got off the phone with TokicoUSA and then also with the new Tokico distributor, Motovicity.

Both parties CONFIRMED that they will indeed be sending out the TEMS Illumina II shocks to retailers nationwide in the end of May. I had them both look up the part number for front and rear and confirm it is for the 86-92 MK3 Supra. Also, the gentleman at TokicoUSA confirmed that he sees the "discontinued" report and that the Supra shocks are not on the report anywhere.

Looks like the wait on the Illuminas just might pay off after all!! :evil2: :eek:ffwall:
Nice, thanks for calling them and updating us. Hopefully it does happen!

MkIII FTW

Authorized Seller
I'll probably be looking for an update sometime next week. If this is true, I'll order my set as soon as they go up for sale

MkIII FTW

Authorized Seller
don't mind him. he's an engineer for Bilstein and jealous that Tokico has the best shocks for our cars.
It's definitely good to see I'm not the only engineer on the forum haha. But regarding Tokico I'm gonna say to each his own. My twin brother swears by Bilstein on his Supra. I'd just rather have the Tokico's.

teedoff00

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Does anyone know if the new Illuminas will be TEMS compatible like the Illumina IIs were? My understanding is that the new ones are 5 way adjustable versus the Illumina IIs which were 3 way I believe. Not sure how 5 way adjustable plays into a 3 way system???

VegaSupra

Authorized Seller
Does anyone know if the new Illuminas will be TEMS compatible like the Illumina IIs were? My understanding is that the new ones are 5 way adjustable versus the Illumina IIs which were 3 way I believe. Not sure how 5 way adjustable plays into a 3 way system???
I can't imagine Tokico would intentionally make the TEMS shocks non compatible with the Supra TEMS system. What would be the purpose of producing them in the first place?

If they are not compatible with the MK3 Supra, then who would be the target market?

Silver MK3

Authorized Seller
I can't imagine Tokico would intentionally make the TEMS shocks non compatible with the Supra TEMS system. What would be the purpose of producing them in the first place?

If they are not compatible with the MK3 Supra, then who would be the target market?
Do you have any updates on your previous post about them sending them out at the end of May? Just wondering if you have any new info.

VegaSupra

Authorized Seller
Do you have any updates on your previous post about them sending them out at the end of May? Just wondering if you have any new info.
Nope. No updates at the moment. I might try to contact some big name retailers that will definitely be the recipients of a new shipment, but I was thinking of giving it like another week or two.

Silver MK3

Authorized Seller
OK, I was just curious. Let us know if you hear anything new. Thanks for chasing this around and posting updates for us. I appreciate it.

teedoff00

Authorized Seller
Contributor

Yah that's what I am hoping as I'm awaiting availability as well. My guess would be you need to pick three of the five adjustable settings and then TEMS would modulate those three. I.E. settings 1,2,3 or 2,3,4 or 3,4,5. Lets just hope they come with some kind of instructions lol...

VegaSupra

Authorized Seller
Yah that's what I am hoping as I'm awaiting availability as well. My guess would be you need to pick three of the five adjustable settings and then TEMS would modulate those three. I.E. settings 1,2,3 or 2,3,4 or 3,4,5. Lets just hope they come with some kind of instructions lol...
If they did do it like that, I would imagine they would pick 1,3,5. But although there are 3 lights on the dash, there are only 2 buttons that come with the stock controller. (I don't have the trick HKS controller). So not quite sure how they'd set it. Maybe 1,3,5 with "Sport" mode setting it to 3 or higher, reaching 5 only via the automatic adjustment when the suspension detects hard cornering.

I dunno. Pure speculation. Regardless, I just hope they work well. :)

teedoff00

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I wonder how the TEMS controller is setup. How many turns to adjust the stiffeness etc. Either way, I have the stock two button but I have it hardwired to the diagnostic box so I can "select" the third setting. Right now I leave it in three because my struts are blown, lol.

teedoff00

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Thanks for that info. Now im wondering how it would be possible for the TEMS ti control a 5 way adjustable shock... hmm. Guess we'll have to wait until someone can get a hold of some.

VegaSupra

Authorized Seller
Spoke with a major parts retailer yesterday asking if there is any update on the Tokico dealings. He said he hasn't heard anything at all. I told him that I had talked directly with TokicoUSA and Motovicity and that they had assured me without question that shipments were going out to the major retailers nationwide beginning of June. He said he would be the one to find out and hasn't been told that.

I don't understand how someone from the heart of the source can tell me one thing with both parties confirming the same story, and yet it is not happening. I HATE incompetence and bad info given. :: angry ::

I am going to contact another major retailer that normally stocks lots of Tokico stuff and see what they do/don't know. Then I will reach back out to TokicoUSA/Motovicity again to see what the holdup is this time.