Any advice on poly subframe and control arm bushings?

E_S

Authorized Seller
Does anyone have any advice on polyurethane subframe and control arm bushings? I don't want more noise than stock, but a bit tighter is fine. The rubber parts are mostly NLA, so thinking about going polyurethane. Have heard a lot about them, everything from "no more noise than stock" to "feels like solid metal", and I understand there are different grades of them, but can anyone give any advice on experience, brands etc.? Weekend driver, no street racer. I hate noise, but a firm ride is fine. :p

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
You'll want the softer version of subframe bushings. Ronnie K sells them in 3 different hardness ratings.
He is sometimes difficult to get in touch with, but email is the method.

Bru

Authorized Seller
I put Energy Suspension control arm bushings on the front upper and lower control arms and the anti-roll bar bar bushings. The rear lower alignment bolts and cams had to be cut off because they were rusted to the old bushings. That was a pain using a thin cut off wheel and I had to order new bolts. The positive was that it made wheel alignment adjustment possible. One thing I can say is that more road noise is transmitted using the stiffer urethane bushings. Another observation that came much later is that these bushings are floating type whereas the originals provided some rebound up-and-down from its static center. That's why in the shop manual you're supposed to bounce the car on its wheels before tightening. Urethane bushings might make the shocks and springs work harder and reduce impact / rebound dampening to a degree.

Last edited: