Another 7M ground up build

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Ok my EMU is set up as a 66-3 trigger setting and im seeing that the stock cps is a 24-1, 24 teeth on the cps and 1 on the crank.. Are these settings messed up also??? getting frustrated.

andrew_mx83

Authorized Seller
Yes those settings are messed up, tell it the crank is 24 teeth, and the cam sync is 1 tooth.
You will also have to tell it where the 1 cam sync tooth is in relation to TDC.
You will also have to tell it the wheels are spinning at cam speed (not crank speed).

Btw 24-1 refers to a single 24 tooth wheel with 1 missing tooth as a TDC reference, which is not what the 7m CPS has.
If you are running without cam sync (waste spark, batch injection) you only need 1 wheel but it needs a missing tooth so the ecu knows when it rolls past TDC which becomes the basis of all the injection and ignition timing.

For full sequential, the cam sync tells it when it's at TDC on the compression stroke and the 24 tooth wheel tells it exactly where it is in between so a missing tooth is not required.

I'm running batch/waste on mine so I just ground 1 tooth off the 24 wheel and ignored the cam pickups.

Hope that helps!

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
That helps thank you for clarifying. I ordered a fitting for the fuel feed so I can run stainless an line so once that comes in tomorrow I can try to start it again.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I was about to say

the CPS is 24 tooth. No missing teeth.

depending on the EMS:

Crank Ref: 24
Cam Sync: 1

Of note is that Crank Ref will be called different things by different companies. As an example, MoTec calls it Ref Sync crankshaft Teeth. though in the hundred series is was called Crank Ref Sync mode and M1 is Engine Speed Reference Mode.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
It ran shitty at first but I trimmed the injectors and lowered fuel pressure based off the wideband reading and it’s idling smooth at 1100rpm, I’ll tinker with that some more tomorrow.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
How big are your injectors? you should not need to lower fuel pressure unless the injectors are in that weird spot that causes pintle bounce usually around the 1.5ms range. Are you running them fully sequential?

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Question, checked the timing with a timing light and it was at 15 degree and I set the lock angle at 10. Do you still adjust this via the cps? There’s no diag mode like stock so I’m not 100% on how to adjust from here.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
I should add also it fires right up. Faster than ever before, I’d have to think that’s a benefit of putting new coils in the cps

Reactions: plaaya69

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Drove the Supra to the gas station today! ‘twas a success! Brembo Mercedes Brakes went on flawlessly, coilovers in. Need to get this puppy tuned so I can enjoy it some this year!

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Those brakes in the front + the evo rear full floating calipers on my Supra are incredible.
Hands down the best feeling brakes I've ever experienced.

Plus when I come home they are hardly hot at all.
Enough cooling for some serious braking work.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Going to give the driftmotion remote tuning a try. Having the ability to pull onto a lift between pulls without paying “shop time” if needed could be a benefit.

Reactions: debrucer

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Took the car out for a 20 minute back roads cruise. I’m impressed lol I’ve made some tweaks to the base tune it’s idling and driving pretty good. Only pumped about 5psi through her and kept it under 4K rpm with lots of decels

Reactions: Piratetip

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yup, break it in right.
Varying RPM, lots of decel, decent moderate load.
Don't be nice to it, and don't cruise at constant rpm on the hwy.

Get those rings seated right early and you will be happy down the road when compression is still high & not consuming oil / excessive blowby.

Reactions: Z06gette

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Question, checked the timing with a timing light and it was at 15 degree and I set the lock angle at 10. Do you still adjust this via the cps? There’s no diag mode like stock so I’m not 100% on how to adjust from here.
If you put the ignition lock at 10 and timing light shows 15.

In the software, there is a place to adjust the timing to match the lock.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Update: Car is parked for the winter, pulled the injectors to swap out to some bigger High Imped ones this winter. I'm very pleased and excited with how this build is shaking out and now that she's broken in, ready for some Amsoil and serious tuning this spring.

Opinions please... I had the entire rotating assy balanced when the bottom end was assembled at the machine shop and now I am considering adding a trigger wheel to the crank pulley... The Pirate CPS coil upgrade seems to be working fine, I had no issues with timing sync or getting the base timing to set. I'm concerned with adding the trigger to the wheel and throwing the balance off on the harmonic. My harmonic does have some balancing holes in it and I did pay extra to have that precise.
Is it worth it? I'm trying to avoid any weak links.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Update: Car is parked for the winter, pulled the injectors to swap out to some bigger High Imped ones this winter. I'm very pleased and excited with how this build is shaking out and now that she's broken in, ready for some Amsoil and serious tuning this spring.

Opinions please... I had the entire rotating assy balanced when the bottom end was assembled at the machine shop and now I am considering adding a trigger wheel to the crank pulley... The Pirate CPS coil upgrade seems to be working fine, I had no issues with timing sync or getting the base timing to set. I'm concerned with adding the trigger to the wheel and throwing the balance off on the harmonic. My harmonic does have some balancing holes in it and I did pay extra to have that precise.
Is it worth it? I'm trying to avoid any weak links.
Are you using the stock 7M balancer? Mine was balanced before I added two trigger wheels. The one behind the timing cover was a no-brainer not to worry about. The 36-1 on front of the OEM balancer was questionable enough that I asked the guy who balanced it all. The DIY wheel has a hole drilled opposite the missing tooth, which led me to suspect it was important.

My machinist said to use four bolts and not to worry about it. Using two, or three bolts might matter, but evenly distributed weight on four was okay by him.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Good info. That's what I was looking for. I saw a member was selling some and I'd rather buy and hold on to it then need it later and end up having another extinct 7m part.
The one for sale is in the case.