Another 7M ground up build

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Okay time to update.. I got the car into the shop yesterday and spent a couple hours removing the harness, turbo/manifold, exhaust, etc so all I had to do today was pull the motor and trans. Which thanks to you guys on the advice of doing the motor and trans together. So today I did just that pulled them both and tore down the bottom end and got everything off the head including the arp nuts. I got the crank pulled and man, does mine look good! Amsoil ftw.. I basically all but took off the head due to time. It’s just sitting on the block.
I’ve got to say, after getting some cabin fever and being tired of winter, just getting to have some action with the Supra just really brings up the mood. Love these cars. I digress...

When spinning the crank the cylinders did gurgle this awesome muddy water, no not THE Muddy Waters. Bum chhh.
But hope the link works for picture time

Oh and a travesty on the tow over to the shop. They picked it up by the ass and snapped my front springs :,,( I wasn’t ready to shell out for suspension yet lol The Supra always finds a way to force my hand lol

h20dies

Authorized Seller
Looking good, good luck with the future! Funny you're from Sandwhich IL, I have a hilarious story about that place, lol. I'm from Peoria.

Reactions: Z06gette

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
New Wiseco kit showed, got that and the crank sent out to the machine shop yesterday so that's underway...

Today I took care of another issue, it ran me $280 for a new center support bearing pressed in, all new u joints, and a resurface on the flywheel. In total the bearing ran me another $50. It wouldn't have been much more to go solid 1 piece, I decided to freshen up the stock setup to avoid any issues. The new ujoints are greasable moog's

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Here’s another update, pending the end of the world my motor should be done in 1-2weeks :) here are some pics finally of the evidence of the BHG. The PO was an IDIOT, he RED THREADLOCKED THE ARP HEADSTUDs. I had to weld a nut on the stud to turn them out... thankful I had another head..

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
If you torch red loctite it will let go.
Get the stud real hot.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
We got them all out I’m going to have this head checked once I have some more free capital lol
Is it common for only the exhaust side coolant jackets to blow?

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I have seen both sides of the fire ring blow out.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
We got them all out I’m going to have this head checked once I have some more free capital lol
Is it common for only the exhaust side coolant jackets to blow?
It will be random depending on the detonation event and where was the pressure spike.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Word to the wise, don’t use a piggy back. My afr’s were 10.0-10.5 WOT at 10psi. But that was trimming fuel almost 20%.
I will reiterate I do have a stand alone ecumaster emu for the rebuild

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I did stop by the Bumper to Bumper autopart store and checked in with Scott to see how everything was going at the machine shop. He was actually working on your 7m motor which is looking very nice:

Can't wait to see this blank canvas come together when you get it back :)

Last edited:

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Update- started to freshen up the harness. Bosch knock sensors & studs, gm iat, assorted an adapters for the oil feed/ pressure T, az performance get block off, arp hardware for the flywheel and pp all came in today. Tying up the lose ends before the motor comes in.

I like the way this braided shielding is working for the wiring. The pic has the injector looms.

Reactions: plaaya69

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
More parts came today! Pads and rotor for the Mercedes BBK, Derale oil filter relocation kit, GM IAT, a new connector for the Bosch LSU 4.2 afr sensor, some 2” braided shielding for the main section of the wiring harness..

Something tells me I need to test fit my harness before I do final heat shrink and seal it all up. But, that requires a mounted engine in the bay.. waiting sucks..

I’m pretty sure I have everything I’ll need aside from the head gasket
(awaiting head deck measurement).
Coilovers ordered, 15 row oil cooler w/ Derale 180* tstat, a longer 4an oil feed line, bsp t adapters for the oil and coolant gauges, assorted 7m and r154 dowel pins, ARP flywheel bolts, DM pressure plate bolts, ACT 6 puck clutch, DM full length SS line, SS BRAIDED lines for the oil cooler/ filter relocation...

I’ve been watching YouTube videos and reading endless material and wiring diagrams for EMU Classic..

Any over sights you guys can think of?

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Okay, so machine shop said we took off .0017'' or .043mm between the block and head. The stock gasket is .047'' or 1.2mm. Meaning I need to make up that difference being .014mm he suggested probably going with a 1.5mm commetic gasket as thats .051''. Stock CR is 8.4:1 and the Wiseco's have a 9.1:1 CR. I was looking at a 1.3mm HKS bead style MHG.

What would you guys go with?

Last edited:

andrew_mx83

Authorized Seller
0.040" off will give *approx* 1 full point of extra comp.

Stock HG is 1.2mm 0.047"
You've taken off 1.1mm 0.043"
If you go the 1.3mm gasket it's basically like running no gasket and you'll be around 10:1 on those pistons (in theory)

I don't know of any 1.5mm gaskets but that would be 0.060" anyway not 0.051" (0.051*25.4 = 1.3mm)

You probably want a 2mm HG but the only way to know for sure is to do the math properly. Measure pistons and chambers, calculate CR with 1.3 (0.051") 2.0 (0.080") and 3.0mm (0.120") gaskets and see where you want to end up.

andrew_mx83

Authorized Seller
Okay, so machine ship said we took off .0017'' between the block and head. That is .043''
Oops you need to clarify if they took off 0.017 in total or off each.

Wait, 2 x 0.017 is 0.034 not 0.043 anyway so someone's math is way off

Just measure everything and calculate CR properly. The numbers you've been giving dont add up. Or it's just too early in the morning for my brain...

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
I’m not good at typing and was trying to sneak in the post between things at work, my apologies.
I got mixed up looking at the different gaskets on driftmotion. The 1.3mm is .051”. They also offer a 1.4mm.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Cometic does make a 1.5mm gasket for the 7M... I lost .0017'' of material so adding .061" in combination with .5 higher CR pistons, the math tells me 1.3 or 1.4mm gaskets would be better.. Correct me if I'm wrong... The HKS bead style mhg comes in a 1.3mm as well as cometic. I know both are good brands and many high hp motors run on both, I like the bead style. In other applications often times brands like mahle and fel pro will "upgrade" stock designs to a bead style.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Cometic does make a 1.5mm gasket for the 7M... I lost .0017'' of material so adding .061" in combination with .5 higher CR pistons, the math tells me 1.3 or 1.4mm gaskets would be better.. Correct me if I'm wrong... The HKS bead style mhg comes in a 1.3mm as well as cometic. I know both are good brands and many high hp motors run on both, I like the bead style. In other applications often times brands like mahle and fel pro will "upgrade" stock designs to a bead style.
I'm wanting to say the HKS stopper headgasket is what duane opted to use when his 7m was built years ago because of the design?

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
What kind of boost are you planning on running?
I'm running the wisecos also but I can't remember what was taken off or what thickness gasket I ended up using lol.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
I’m running an HX35 with a 16cm twin scroll, I know those are efficient up to about 2.5bar, my power goal is 6-700. I wouldn’t rule out 30psi on E85. Which is why I want to keep compression close to Stock and not too high.

andrew_mx83

Authorized Seller
Stock gasket 0.047" 1.2mm
Add to make up for machining 0.017" 0.43mm
= 0.064" (1.63mm) for stock comp on stock pistons.

If you need to drop another half a point of CR because of pistons you need to add approx another 0.020" HG thickness
= total 0.084" = 2.1mm

If you go the 1.3mm I estimate you'll end up around 9.3:1 (9:1 from pistons + 0.4 from machining - 0.1 from gasket difference)

Also, the 9:1 from the piston manufacturer should be taken with a grain of salt. If you're going to screw 30psi into it I would be cc'ing everything and doing the math properly.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Too many conversions to transcribe lol I used some calculators 1.5mm should get me around 9:1. In that case cometic it is.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Well, from the sounds of it, engine might be a little while yet before it comes back from the machine shop. I talked to them today about another car and while on the phone he was saying he’s slammed so good thing I wasn’t calling on the Supra. It’s May 1st, a beautiful day here in IL, mentally drained from Corona bullshit. I just want to drive my Supra, it’s been too long. ☹

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Well, from the sounds of it, engine might be a little while yet before it comes back from the machine shop. I talked to them today about another car and while on the phone he was saying he’s slammed so good thing I wasn’t calling on the Supra. It’s May 1st, a beautiful day here in IL, mentally drained from Corona bullshit. I just want to drive my Supra, it’s been too long. ☹
Hang in there. Better to have things done right (take their time) than for you to be driving and boom.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Update: Engine is done! I should have it back here at the shop Thursday. Can not wait, this has been much anticipated.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Did not end up having much time at all today to get things put together, but I did mount the oil pump and the lower timing cover.
my oil pan was crazy uneven around the flange and bolt holes so I went around and pressed It flat using a c clamp and a brake line hydraulic tool die. The die was the perfect size as to not interfere with the dwells for the rtv, it came out really nice. With some Rightstuff too I don’t for see any leaks at all. I’ll post some pics tomorrow.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
It ended up being a solid 7 months. I would’ve preferred to have it back a month ago but I did tell him to take his time when I dropped it off. Original eta was 3-4 months. He did give me a $300 break without me asking, I called him once that entire to time to check in, and that was first week of May. He did a stellar job this thing looks brand freaking new! I just need to get a couple of cars out at work so I can free up a bay to push her in and drop this beaut in.

I still have to put the clutch in and bolt up the r154. Then BBK and coilovers, new -6 fuel lines and Walbro 450.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
How stupid is it that driftmotion sells the AZ performance egr block off plates but they only include 2/3. Either way I’ve gotta go through AZ to get a complete set.
So note, their light weight pulley kit alternator pulley does not fit and the AZ EGR blockoff plate kit is incomplete.