Another 7M ground up build

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
ill rent it if the price is right. I know Captain on Sf wanted an absurd amount of money for the rental. Id be comfortable with like $150. I see you're in IL, where abouts? I live in Sandwich (west of Oswego)

after posting i forgot to ask whats the bore on this? I have 84mm pistons im assuming the bore has to be the same?

Last edited:

JISupra88

Authorized Seller
I actually got mine from Captain when he did his GB on this batch. I even almost lost it because it got delivered to the wrong address(fault on my end) but I had some good neighbors that returned it.

I live in aurora but moving to bolingbrook in a few weeks but yea we're pretty much neighbors.

I'll PM you and we can probably work something out.

JISupra88

Authorized Seller
ill rent it if the price is right. I know Captain on Sf wanted an absurd amount of money for the rental. Id be comfortable with like $150. I see you're in IL, where abouts? I live in Sandwich (west of Oswego)

after posting i forgot to ask whats the bore on this? I have 84mm pistons im assuming the bore has to be the same?
PM'd

Bore is 84mm. I believe as long as the bore your aiming for is equvilant or smaller than the bored of the plate it will work.

The tool can be bored up to 86mm I believe but I think the biggest oversized pistons available are 85mm(correct me if I'm wrong)

Reactions: Z06gette

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Let me run this crazy idea past ya guys... So the holset turbos are not water cooled so ive got the driftmotion coolant bypass hose which essentially loops the coolant feed into the water outlet. SO question is, could I in theory use these water ports for a water-cooled oil cooler? Will this disturb flow? Would it provide enough flow to be beneficial?

JustAnotherVictim

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Let me run this crazy idea past ya guys... So the holset turbos are not water cooled so ive got the driftmotion coolant bypass hose which essentially loops the coolant feed into the water outlet. SO question is, could I in theory use these water ports for a water-cooled oil cooler? Will this disturb flow? Would it provide enough flow to be beneficial?
Were you going to try this?
Since the entire cooling system will be pressurized I wouldn't suspect too much of an issue depending on length/size of the lines and cooler.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
I was highly considering it, idea would be to keep the lines as short as possible possibly mounted to the frame or fender.

plaaya69

86.5 Turbo Converted Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Have you seen the factory 2jz oil cooler which mounts to the oil filter housing and uses engine coolant? Also what type of coolant/oil cooler where you taking a look at to use?

The coolant hose on my 2jz GE (in my GS300) oil cooler looks to be a 5/8" and that larger hose is for this small thing. I was wondering about adding one of these to the 7m since I do want to upgrade that factory 7m oil cooler set up but I just have to plan out this whole thing and do some more research.
20130809_144516.jpg

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
that looks to be perfect really. I was thinking like a mishimoto or a block style that you see on a lot of oe vehilces but that 2jz one looks like it would be perfect

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Hiccup in paradise... The machine shop called and told me that the coolant jackets on the block are "pretty pitted" he said he can make it work but would rather have a cleaner block. He also said that he hasnt decked it yet and it might be fine.. Im going to have him deck it and get back to me. Has anyone else dealt with this? Obviously last thing i want would be sealing issues with the head. After decking the head and block if he doesnt need to take off too much material id imagine an hks gasket might take care of that issue?

• Sad
Reactions: debrucer

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I would just run a thicker 2.0mm headgasket so you can take some extra material off. On my JDM 7m block the coolant ports were very pitted and I could tell from the cooling system the motor was sitting for a bit and exposed when I got it. After the machine shop decked the block there was still some pitting but only inside the coolant jacket holes and not the sealing areas which is the most important. You can see one example of the pitting on first cylinder on the passenger front side of my motor after the machine work was done:

They also made a 3.0mm headgasket but I personally would prefer not to go that thick if you can avoid it.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
That was exactly my thought process just didn’t want to make a big mistake. My boss said the same thing too. We will proceed

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Ok so proceeding with the decking of the block and re-evaluate the jackets after... I'm highly considering running both an e85 map and a 93 map on the new setup. I made another post about the bosch 2200cc e85 injectors, I know 2200cc is over kill for say 5-600hp/tq but going full forged motor I'd like to not be limited by injectors.. I do have the walbro 450lhp and afpr. Should I look into getting anything else mechanical? (Will also be changing filter and doing -6an feed.) Looking to start running base 12* timing and go from there. Will 2200cc flood me out and give me issues of being too rich or will the Aeromotive 1000 regulator be able to help with that? Anyone with experience on the subject? Google doesn't bring up much in regards to E85. I've ran flex fuel tunes in gm turbo cars before so I get the general concept and basic tuning.

I should add I got these injectors new in box ( Authentic Bosch) through my work- $105/6 so couldn't pass up the deal. If they won't work I'll resell on ebay.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJGordon897mgte

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
@JISupra88
Hey you get that torque plate directly from Sethron?

I might have to stop by his shop the next time I am in Vegas.

Captain

Authorized Seller
For reference, in case I didn't make it clear enough in our conversation over there: The $475 is a deposit, of which $375 is returned upon return of the torque plate. The $100 goes to the shipping and insurance costs which usually come out to pretty close to $100 as I cover the cost of shipping both ways. This is SOP for tool rental.

I got it from Captain in Supraforums when he had a group buy on them.
I probably won't be doing another group buy because as usual, half of the people back out after committing. Seth would be more than happy to quote you for a new batch though if you're interested.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
I understood, I was just saying that was more out of pocket than I wanted to commit when the shop said he could get one it would just take him some time. I appreciate the offer, it wasn't that.

plaaya69

Authorized Seller
Contributor
If another group buy was to go around from anyone here then I would also be interested in a 7m torque plate. The trusted organizer should collect a flat rate "non-refundable deposit" for the truly interested people up front, make a list of the minimum people needed including those who had paid a deposit and give a good future time frame estimate for the last day to be part of the group buy list. If the list was not filled to the minimum people needed then a full refund of the deposit would be in order and the group buy would be canceled.

I think a few more 7m owners would support this group buy if it is done right even though a 7m owner seems like a rarity now a days going into 2020.

andrew_mx83

Authorized Seller
I made a torque plate for a local guy recently and could do more if needed.
They would work out to AU$800 shipped or about 550 freedom bucks Resized_20200121_070637.jpeg

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Here is the last email thread I had with Captain on SupraForums, FYI.

David

A lot of times if you are just cleaning up a stock bore honing with a torque plate is superior to just running a hone down the bores. I'd say there's one person per every 4 that rents a plate that's just doing a hone on the stock bore.

Back in the early 2000s there were quite a few torque plates floating around and I know I personally had 4 that I used to rent out that were never returned, so it's entirely possible that your shop was able to track one down when you motor was bored. Unfortunately the only way to tell for sure is to tear the motor down and run a hone down the bores with a torque plate installed.

I've seen the bore size argued endlessly for the last 10+ years, never mind the the last 30+ years that the performance automotive machining industry has been arguing about it. I personally feel that the torque plate bore size being 85mm (largest usable bore on a 7M) would be perfectly acceptable but given that everyone seems to have a differing opinion I elected to go with the stock bore so the end user could have it bored to their liking. As fickle as the 7M crowd is with buying anything I figured this would be the only way to actually sell these things.

I've considered running another batch but getting a group buy together for the 7M crowd is akin to herding feral cats. The only successful "group buys" I've had in the last 10 years were the ones where I basically fronted the cost for the whole batch and made a post about it once I had everything in hand. This recent torque plate order was a bit different in that there was some notice that I was getting a batch made but I still didn't take money until I had the plates in hand. I'd be open to doing another full batch but the interest just doesn't seem to be there, and more often than not when the interest is there it's someone that wants the world without paying a penny.

That's all in addition to the really low traffic on the forums these days. Everyone seems to be using Facebook, which I avoid for personal reasons. I am doing this for the benefit of the community so feel free to pass along my email to anyone the you know is looking for one to rent, or even buy. If I see enough legitimate interest for another batch I wont hesitate to get one going.

Thanks for reaching out and passing word along

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 4:42 PM David <debrucer@gmail.com> wrote:
I would assume that most people boring would be doing an oversize... never thought any more about it. My engine is built and I was only gathering information since the question was asked again on the forum. I see in one thread that another SM has inquired, too. If people are still looking I will pass your info along. SM is world-wide. I will also inform those in the San Diego groups on FB. One was supposedly used when my block was bored, although I have no idea where they might have gotten it. Perhaps I've been bamboozled :( Otherwise, they wouldn't be so hard to find.

The more I think, I have to ask... why wouldn't you just have a full mm oversize for every job? or 2 mm even, you don't want it bored with each block. My HKS bead-stopper metal head gasket didn't care about the bore. I do believe it was 84 mm which is 1 mm oversize. My bore didn't come into question when selecting the head gasket, only the required thickness based on deck-height and head difference.

Thank you.
David
On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 12:04 PM Alan Ryan <89whitesupra@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi David

Are you doing stock bore or oversized? I have one for the stock bore on hand ready to rent but the over bore plate is currently at a machine shop in use. I can probably have that one shipped out from the shop next week. As I mentioned on SM it's a $475 deposit through PayPal friends and family and I send back $375 once I have the plate back in hand. I cover shipping both ways and only ask that you hold onto the packing material so it can be reused.

If you're looking to buy one that's a different story.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Thats a really good price, especially shipped from Aus to Usa.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Machine shop called, only .013 decked off the block. He said he did get a torque plate and would be doing the line hone this week.
Progress...
Also got the ACT 6 puck sprung disc and new oe bearings from driftmotion. Beyond excited

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
UPDATE: Ive decided to sell the DET3 and go with the EMU classic. What coils do you guys like to run? I have a set of IS300 coils, but I've seen some threads on using 1zz coils or ls coils. It would seem like going with a smart coil would be a good idea?

As for tuning would I be making a big mistake not having a port machined in the head now for a hall sensor?

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Ive got a buddy with a set of LS coils, the square ones with the heat sinks, going to attempt to fit/ run these... Unless anyone has any better suggestions?

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
right now the coil to beat is the IGC0079. The GTR coils. good to about 2000hp without CDI or any of that nonesense.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
NIce! that's what I was looking for. Google searches don't bring up much info beyond like 2012 lol Sucks not using facebook, but not worth the BS to me.

Reactions: Piratetip