Air Conditioning Question

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
B0BFD2F8-C1B6-486F-BC44-89D8D217DB68.jpeg
Without either of the components reinstalled have I just killed the idea of keeping my A/C?

I am using a Flex-a-lite electric twin fan and it covers the full radiator surface.

There is also no room in front on the radiator. It’s like they really have to go.

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
You'll have AC still but your vent temps will rise considerably without that pusher fan when sitting in traffic or stationary on a hot day

Reactions: debrucer

MoparMarq

Authorized Seller
It depends on your fan controller. Most of them have a terminal for activating the fan(s) at 50% or so to keep air flowing through the condensor. I have found that the Flex-A-Lite fans are very long-lasting and reliable. Their controllers, not so much. I had one of their controllers on my fans for about a year, after which it failed (right after warranty expiration, of course). Bought another one, didn't work right out of the box. Returned it. Bought a controller from Direct Current Control to run fans. First one I bought was a FK-35, which lasted 15 years before failing. Bought a FK-45 last time around, works great.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
It depends on your fan controller. Most of them have a terminal for activating the fan(s) at 50% or so to keep air flowing through the condensor. I have found that the Flex-A-Lite fans are very long-lasting and reliable. Their controllers, not so much. I had one of their controllers on my fans for about a year, after which it failed (right after warranty expiration, of course). Bought another one, didn't work right out of the box. Returned it. Bought a controller from Direct Current Control to run fans. First one I bought was a FK-35, which lasted 15 years before failing. Bought a FK-45 last time around, works great.
15 years wasn't good enough for you, so you bought the upgraded model the second time? lol

The radiator is in the way until the engine is in, and I have just gotten around to test fitting it (and the fans) recently. I hadn't expected that complexity in the wiring. I think what I'm hearing is that the wiring is much more complex than I expected. Thanks for the link, useful information. Not ready to spend $150 until I explore what I've got. A big portion of that expense must be wire, and I think I have the wire. I cannot picture a fan controller in my parts stock... hoping it's attached to the fans and I just don't know it yet :) I've got the original documentation that came with the fan.

This whole process gets painful at times... seems like so many simple jobs turn into big ordeals. Thank you again @JDMMA70 and @MoparMarq... I appreciate all the help.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Authorized Seller
I had the same experience as MoparMarq. Fan controller died after a short time then upgraded it. Depending on your model, it may be better than their older models. Mine was new about ten years ago.

Another failure point is the supplied fuse holder in the FAL kits. Mine melted on day two. So, save yourself some trouble and upgrade that on day 1. ;)

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I had the same experience as MoparMarq. Fan controller died after a short time then upgraded it. Depending on your model, it may be better than their older models. Mine was new about ten years ago.

Another failure point is the supplied fuse holder in the FAL kits. Mine melted on day two. So, save yourself some trouble and upgrade that on day 1. ;)
My setup was purchased with a new radiator in 2006, so no chance I got a newer model.

I’ve been reading all the bad things about electric fans on Supras and general advice seems to be “don’t”.

Further, the Flex-a-lite is called out by name. Not a good start.

The whole car wiring was impacted by my battery relocation which includes a cutoff and a fuse. I’ll be sure and fuse this setup, but going to have to do some more reading. Running at half speed sounds like it will reduce the power surges from 2 x 40 amps to half that value. Then again, “half speed” may not be optimal for our cars, so there’s still some thought req’d.

Thermostatically seems appropriate, and variable seems an option.

Another lump of cash on a controller for an awful fan sounds like throwing good money after bad, especially if the proper advice is don’t do it :)

Last edited:

MoparMarq

Authorized Seller
Further, the Flex-a-lite is called out by name. Not a good start.
Well, specifically, the Flex-a-Lite controller was a bad move on my part. The fans themselves have run flawlessly for over 15 years. Flex-a-Lite model 220, if I remember correctly. That model fit pretty well over the stock radiator, and later, the aftermarket radiator, when the stock radiator gave out. Had to make some custom brackets for the fan shroud to fit to the radiator, but the core coverage is near perfect. And parts are still available for the fans on Summit; motor and blade assemblies, IIRC. I bought new blade assemblies a few years ago when I had a mounting mishap. I didn't mean to bash the fans. The fans are a good unit; at least they have been for me.

As an aside, the DCControl controller uses a pulse code modulated ramp-up to the fan to bring the fan up to speed. So there isn't a spike load on your wiring system, which is really nice. Just sayin'.

Also, as JDMMA70 mentioned, if there's no cooling air at all over the condensor, pressures on the output side of compressor (from compressor to expansion valve) will go up. High enough, likely, to cause dual pressure switch to shut off power to compressor clutch. This will cause compressor to cycle on and off, further reducing A/C operation. If dual pressure switch craps out, pressures will get high enough to cause a high side hose to fail. Been down that road.

Last edited:

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I searched for an hour yesterday and found a three page document. Model 220. Remember pitching the four plastic mounting brackets thinking they were from something shipped on a pallet. I should know better than to throw stuff away. Could find nothing that looks like a controller. I’m going to wire it in, and hold off on spending more money until know “issues” elsewhere addressed. Then when it’s an incentive to be finished I’ll spring for the controller.

I’m going to do a trial fitment of the wiring harness this weekend. Still a good distance from being done.

Appreciate all the good info I get here.

Last edited:

MoparMarq

Authorized Seller
Yeah, those 4 plastic brackets that came with it were completely useless. Didn't use 'em. Maybe disconnect the compressor clutch power wire 'til you get the fan thing figured out. Maybe a switch in the cabin as a stopgap measure for the fan(s). At least it won't get too toasty in SD 'til maybe April, unless you're farther inland. If I remember tomorrow, I'll try to get some pics of the brackets and controller for you. The radiator on mine is a Haste, but it has all the factory mount points.