Abe's first ma70 1jzgte swap

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
<SNIP>

View attachment 84386

<SNIP>

I got some diagnosing to do now. I have a feeling the wiring write up I followed was wrong.
That's not surprising. It definitely helps to understand what something is doing AND being familiar with the pieces. I spent days on a BMW vacuum leak that required replacing all the vacuum lines and certain caps. One five year old, ten page thread must have had ten people describing their solution... several with pictures - some conflicting others, and none of which seemed to apply to mine. You're doing such a brilliant job, you'll get it :)

Abe's 1987

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Authorized Seller
That's not surprising. It definitely helps to understand what something is doing AND being familiar with the pieces. I spent days on a BMW vacuum leak that required replacing all the vacuum lines and certain caps. One five year old, ten page thread must have had ten people describing their solution... several with pictures - some conflicting others, and none of which seemed to apply to mine. You're doing such a brilliant job, you'll get it :)
Thanks much appreciated. Yeah I figured I would run into some issues. Just gotta work through them. Right now I need to figure out why the starter isn't turning over and why the fuel pump is constantly running. To my understanding the fuel pump should build up pressure then stop and hold the pressure on initial start up. Maybe the regulator is stuck open. Will have to look into it. Will start with the starter tomorrow first.

Reactions: debrucer

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Finally got her to pur like a lion. :cool:;):):p

Few odds and ins ill need to work on. Heater core is leaking coolant, need to get the exhaust fitted, idles a bit low, speedometer isn't working, boost guage isn't working, big time fuel smell coming at idle.

Alternator is good, power steering pump is good, gets to operating temps and stays there, put it in first gear and let it roll on the jack stands so everything is engaging properly.

VERY VERY VERY HAPPY CAMPER HERE!!!!!!

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Couple questions,

1. Any recommendations on the heater core?

2. The speedometer is ran off only the speedo cable that runs from the transmission to the back of the cluster correct?

3. The boost guage is ran off the boost sensor in the engine bay correct?

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
I may just loop the heat hoses just to run the car until I get the time to get the heater core fixed or replaced. These heater cores are copper correct? Will definitely need to get the ac going especially here in houston

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Bypassed the heater core. No coolant leaks now yey.
Need to fill ac refrigerant.
No noise coming from the power steering pump yey.
Alternator is charging yey.
Don't hear any misfires yey.
Belt isn't squealing yey.
Not seeing any major leaks yey.
May need to change the transmission mount. Will have to see later.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Took it out for its first drive today. Everything runs smoothly. Just need to fix the coolant temp guage. Still having issues with it. Speedometer and boost guage works perfectly. And need to fill the ac, fix the heater core, and get the exhaust mounted.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
And yes I was riding the clutch a bit. Been ahwile since I drove it so im retraining myself not to ride the clutch :rolleyes:. Still need to insure the car, get inspection, and registration.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
welp been looking into everything needed to get the safety inspection. Found that the reverse light isn't working (may need another switch) and third brake light isn't working (may need a new bulb).

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Question, dose the power source to the back up light switch get constant power or only with the key in the accessories and on position? Reason i ask is I may need to rewire the revearse light wiring because im not getting any power to it. The reverse light switch is working.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Thank God, got the reverse lights to work.

All that is left is;

Third brake light
Fill ac
Coolant temp guage
Exhuast
Targa top leak (needs new seal)
Trunk leak (needs new seal)
Gas door opener cable
Solve why radio stays on at all times
Solve why my light switch is reversed
Solve why fuel pump doesn't prime and shut off
Need new speakers
And fix heater core

Last edited:

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Thank God, got the reverse lights to work.

All that is left is;

Third brake light
Fill ac
Coolant temp gauge
Exhaust
Targa top leak (needs new seal)
Trunk leak (needs new seal)
Gas door opener cable
Solve why radio stays on at all times
Solve why my light switch is reversed
Solve why fuel pump doesn't prime and shut off
Need new speakers
And fix heater core
That's still quite a list. The one I never want to see again is the heater core. You're getting there :)

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
That's still quite a list. The one I never want to see again is the heater core. You're getting there :)
Yeah still a few things to do to get this daily drivable. Im thinking of doing a ton while I have the dash out. New dash, evap core, heater core, solve wiring issues, rust cleaning and prevention, ect.

I expected all these issues with such an old car. Never a smooth transaction.

I'm also missing a few exterior and interior parts im still accumulating a list of. I want this car 100%.

Last edited:

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Got the third brake light to work, bad bulb connection due to corrosion. Cleaned it up and reinstalled everything. Works good now.

Reactions: sinistar_xx

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
took my supra in for a safety inspection, passed with flying colors.

Noticed my tach stopped working, tapped the top of the dash and it started working. I think that is the reason the coolant guage isnt working, bad connection. Ill have to remove the cluster and clean the connectors.

Going to vacuum and charge my ac tomorrow. Will also add some oil and maybe a leak sealer to help seal those small leaks.

Last edited:

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok so i can't seem to get the r134 quick disconnect to seal up properly on my ac system. Im thinking about removing them and putting the r12 valve stem back in and using it like that (r12 filler port). Or I may buy another r134 quick disconnect retrofit kit and try that. What do you guys think?

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Dag nabit broke this ac line. May have put too much torque on it while reinstalling the r134a quick disconnect. Will be ordering another one now:(.
20200909_172433.jpg

• Sad

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok talking to my parts guy I just found out these supras came with the ac dryers located on both driver and passenger sides. He told me the passenger side dryer ac lines are harder to find and what do you know mine is located on the passenger side. Question is, is it feasible to relocated my dryer to the driver side so I have more access to the ac I need? He told me he does not have the lines for the passenger side dryer sadly.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
See if you can get a used line. It will be a lot of work to redo everything.
Yeah ive been looking for a used one but can't find one yet. From my understanding I just need to get both lines that go to the dryer and everything else is the same hopefully to relocate the dryer. That is unless someone here has the line available. Or just get a line made maybe from an ac hose place.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Might be easier to just have one made if you can't find a used one one.
Simple stuff, nothing to it.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Might be easier to just have one made if you can't find a used one one.
Simple stuff, nothing to it.
Yeah just might have one made with the high pressure quick disconnect port incorporated into it. May have one made with flex line that way it is easier then forming the hard pipe.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Random bit of info from my cars A/C system.
Since I bought it in... 07'? (Somewhere around then)
I've never charged the A/C or serviced anything on the A/C system.
Still works great and blows cold air. (R12)
It's got to be slightly low in oz on refrigerant though.

I've had the engine in and out twice, just set the compressor aside during that time.

Pretty incredible how well it's all sealed up, I'm not sure how it's possible really.
Seems like my other 2 daily drivers need a bit of a top up with R134a every few years or so....

I might pick up some more R12 cans just in case.

Couple years ago I picked up 2 very large 30oz cans in case I needed to charge my house A/C.
That R12 is getting very expensive. ( I have the ASE required refrigerant certificate, as well as being an ASE master tech)
R12 now cost about the same $ as the new R1234YF refrigerant.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Random bit of info from my cars A/C system.
Since I bought it in... 07'? (Somewhere around then)
I've never charged the A/C or serviced anything on the A/C system.
Still works great and blows cold air. (R12)
It's got to be slightly low in oz on refrigerant though.

I've had the engine in and out twice, just set the compressor aside during that time.

Pretty incredible how well it's all sealed up, I'm not sure how it's possible really.
Seems like my other 2 daily drivers need a bit of a top up with R134a every few years or so....

I might pick up some more R12 cans just in case.

Couple years ago I picked up 2 very large 30oz cans in case I needed to charge my house A/C.
That R12 is getting very expensive. ( I have the ASE required refrigerant certificate, as well as being an ASE master tech)
R12 now cost about the same $ as the new R1234YF refrigerant.
Man i wish my system is still factory sealed, but then again it was worked on before i got the supra and I have dropped in another engine (1jz) with a different compressor. If I remember right those r134a quick disconnect ports where leaking when I first got the supra. Also not sure if the 1jz compressor can handle R12 refrigerant or not. But since my supra has been converted to r134a so ill make it work. Got to get the new line then make sure system is fully sealed then finally fill with refrigerant. Good thing is we are coming to winter soon, so ac won't be as important but I will need to get it fully functional before next summer. And since houston winters are not as cold, heater isn't too crucial, but i would like to get everything perfect on this build.

Reactions: Piratetip

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Mine has not been touched since 1997 when it had the TXV valve replaced on a recall campaign. 33 years and counting. I have plenty of R12 on hand, but never needed any. Now that I've said that it will probably be empty tomorrow. The light bulbs are also miraculous on this car. I had the original brake lights until I replaced them with with LEDs. Can't count how many times I've seen 3-4 year old cars on the street with a dead brake light or two.

Reactions: Piratetip

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Mine has not been touched since 1997 when it had the TXV valve replaced on a recall campaign. 33 years and counting. I have plenty of R12 on hand, but never needed any. Now that I've said that it will probably be empty tomorrow. The light bulbs are also miraculous on this car. I had the original brake lights until I replaced them with with LEDs. Can't count how many times I've seen 3-4 year old cars on the street with a dead brake light or two.
The only thing with the tail lights is when they leak and the connection ports corrodes. That's when there are issues with our tsil lights that I can remember of. And yes how many ive have counted of 3 to 4 years old cars with brake lights out or even headlights, ive lost count. Lol.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok so not able to find this line:(. Went to one ac place near me and they said they can't do the older lines. Seems like most places around me are lazy, lol. Is there possibly a line from another car that would match this line?

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
There is one here.
But it's a full set.
Maybe ask the seller if they are willing to part it out?

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
There is one here.
But it's a full set.
Maybe ask the seller if they are willing to part it out?
I actually did a few minutes ago. He said he is selling as a set amd will not split it.:(

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
There are a bunch of other sellers, a few listing the hardline on the other side of the receiver.
Ask if they have the hardline with the port also.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
There are a bunch of other sellers, a few listing the hardline on the other side of the receiver.
Ask if they have the hardline with the port also.
Lol that is from hoofer72 and I have been talking to him about it, sadly still no go. Man this line really is hard to find :( .

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Try contacting these eBay sellers.
They have told me they have access to parting out a lot of cars in the past.
mk3supraparts
aardvark
arpus07 - this is probably the one listing the lines as a set

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Try contacting these eBay sellers.
They have told me they have access to parting out a lot of cars in the past.
mk3supraparts
aardvark
arpus07 - this is probably the one listing the lines as a set
Sweet will do, highly appreciate it bud.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Just asked mk3supraparts over on ebay about the part. He said in the 23 years of tearing into these cars he has never heard of the dryers on the passenger side. Can anyone tell me the story to that? Are these from jdm cars and somehow a few made there way onto the US models? Whats up with that?

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Really? Maybe he didn't understand the question right...
Mine is on the passenger side...
Old photo of mine:

The EPC shows the receiver/dryer on the passenger side:

Interestingly though the TSRM shows it on the USDM drivers side.
Maybe they didn't bother to re-draw these images from the JDM manual?

Took awhile to find some RHD photos underhood but here are a couple:
Looks like the RHD models had the receiver dryer on their passenger side (our drivers side)

Interesting, I have never noticed this before.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Really? Maybe he didn't understand the question right...
Mine is on the passenger side...
Old photo of mine:

The EPC shows the receiver/dryer on the passenger side:

Interestingly though the TSRM shows it on the USDM drivers side.
Maybe they didn't bother to re-draw these images from the JDM manual?

Took awhile to find some RHD photos underhood but here are a couple:
Looks like the RHD models had the receiver dryer on their passenger side (our drivers side)

Interesting, I have never noticed this before.
It wasn't just mk3supraparts that mentioned he had only seen the dryer on the driver side only but also hoofer72 also mentioned that he has only came in contact with at most 2 or 3 supras with the dryers located on the passenger side. He said other then those 2 or 3 he only gets them on the driver side. I too never did pay attention to that detail. Makes you wonder why they incorporated on both sides. I can understand it on the jdm driver side for the jdm models as they have the ac condenser fans mounted on the front of the condenser, but why implement on both sides for the usdm models. Hmm makes you wonder.

I've been thinking about just relocating it to the driver side which would require me to buy the two longer lines and removing the condenser fan I installed. Thing I worry about is running the ac without the condenser fan. Would there be any effects to the system?