Abe's first ma70 1jzgte swap

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
OK so since my 7m will be out and I will be purchasing a 1jzgte non vvti setup soon i thought I would start a new thread here on the 1jz section. My supra is a 1987 turbo manual.

I've been looking through the 1jz/2jz swap for dummies

Still looking around for the 1jz bible!

I did have one question come up in my mind, will I need to use the charcoal canister from my 7m set up or will it not work for the 1jz?

A70nut

Authorized Seller
You can use it, I personally have the charcoal canister evap line connected to a check valve like on the heater control valve so that the tank doesn't pressurize in boost and I have a vacuum source to suck the gas fumes into the manifold during vacuum. May not be the preferred method, but it allows me to not leak gas fumes and not pressurize the tank in boost while not having a charcoal canister.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
You can use it, I personally have the charcoal canister evap line connected to a check valve like on the heater control valve so that the tank doesn't pressurize in boost and I have a vacuum source to suck the gas fumes into the manifold during vacuum. May not be the preferred method, but it allows me to not leak gas fumes and not pressurize the tank in boost while not having a charcoal canister.
Will definitely consider doing that!

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
If you followed my other build thread on the 7m portions I had the tranny apart to check up on things. I now have reassembled the tranny with all new seals and gaskets and just slapped on the 7m bellhousing until I order the 1jz bellhousing. Will keep you guys updated as things move along.

20200411_192941.jpg

20200411_192946.jpg

20200411_192957.jpg

Reactions: A70nut

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Probably not going to need these but just making sure, do I need these tranny plates from the 7m for the 1jz swap?

20200414_135333.jpg

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
No. The jz upper oil pan and block serve as all the mounting surfaces and covers you need for the flywheel area.
Sweet, much appreciated. Just making sure I don't sell anything I need. Another part to add to my part out sale. I've already put aside my motor mounts minus the brackets, top portion of the a/c compressor, r154 transmission, old clutch and pressure plate, drive shift, engine harness, the catback exhaust, kept all the fuel lines intact, walbro 255 fuel pump already in tank.

Two more questions. Can my old 7m oil cooler be used? And the r154 to 7m mounting hardware can be used to mount the r154 to the 1jz?

A70nut

Authorized Seller
I mean, the jzs have a factory oil cooler and unless you're making a track car or pushing 1000hp I would leave it on to save cost at the start. I would ditch the 7m oil cooler and just run the factory jz one. I dont personally know on the bellhousing bolts, I would think so, but it should be obvious when you go to put the drivetrain together if they're too short or too long.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
I mean, the jzs have a factory oil cooler and unless you're making a track car or pushing 1000hp I would leave it on to save cost at the start. I would ditch the 7m oil cooler and just run the factory jz one. I dont personally know on the bellhousing bolts, I would think so, but it should be obvious when you go to put the drivetrain together if they're too short or too long.
Got it. Will ditch the 7m oil cooler. And hopefully will be getting the 1jz within a week so will test the bellhousing bolts once I get the 1jz. I'm kinda glad ill be freeing up that area getting the 7m oil cooler out of there so I can have a fairly nice sized intercooler.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
I was just thinking wouldn't the heater control valve only open up its vacuum passage only when the heater is running? In that consideration wouldnt that means it wouldn't vacuum the fumes unless the heater is on. And doesn't the heater control valve not have a check valve when the vacuum passage is open. Just educating myself here.

I was considering using the charcoal canister and dropping in an aftermarket check valve to prevent pressurization to the fuel tank but yet capturing the fumes. Whats you take on that?

A70nut

Authorized Seller
I was just thinking wouldn't the heater control valve only open up its vacuum passage only when the heater is running? In that consideration wouldnt that means it wouldn't vacuum the fumes unless the heater is on. And doesn't the heater control valve not have a check valve when the vacuum passage is open. Just educating myself here.

I was considering using the charcoal canister and dropping in an aftermarket check valve to prevent pressurization to the fuel tank but yet capturing the fumes. Whats you take on that?
I have it to a different vacuum source on the intake, just using a check valve like what is used for the heater. Separate circuit. If I were you you could always try to find a jza70 charcoal canister or do some research because I thought everyone else used a Taurus or focus charcoal canister and put it in the fender well. It has been a while since I saw the forum on here though.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Super excited, I just ordered my 1jz swap and will hopefully be getting it by tomorrow. It is said to be from a Toyota soarer. It does have the rear sump. It also has the mechanical fan setup. It has a automatic transmission but as shown above I have the r154 to drop in. I'll just have to wire things to for the manual tranny to function properly. Will have pictures as soon as I get the engine.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok so I was searching and reading. I see that half of the peeps that installed the 1j did not extend the harness and drilled new holes though the firewall to feed the harness into the cabin and the other half extended the harness and feed the harness through the factory hole on the firewall. Im really good with wiring and do believe i can extended it with out issues. Would just cutting a new hole in the firewall be practical or should I take my time and extend the harness. Just confirming, I'll need to extend it 18 inches correct? Where can I get some good quality wires to extend the harness? I wish they have a kit that comes with a multi color wire set needed to extend these harnesses. Ill also do some kind of heat wrap around the harness to help prevent future heat damage.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Ok so I was searching and reading. I see that half of the peeps that installed the 1j did not extend the harness and drilled new holes though the firewall to feed the harness into the cabin and the other half extended the harness and feed the harness through the factory hole on the firewall. Im really good with wiring and do believe i can extended it with out issues. Would just cutting a new hole in the firewall be practical or should I take my time and extend the harness. Just confirming, I'll need to extend it 18 inches correct? Where can I get some good quality wires to extend the harness? I wish they have a kit that comes with a multi color wire set needed to extend these harnesses. Ill also do some kind of heat wrap around the harness to help prevent future heat damage.
In my opinion, dealing with extended harnesses. Save up, cry once, and get a tweakd harness. If the extension doesnt give you troubles down the road, the 30 year old harness surely will. Wiring issues are not something you want to be chasing when trying to enjoy the car. Obviously it's your choice to make, but having dealt with the old harness route, never again for me.

Reactions: plaaya69 and f00g00

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
20200421_144812.jpg

20200421_144817.jpg

20200421_144824.jpg

20200421_144846.jpg

thumb_my-precious-meme-its-mine-all-mine-inel-negenerator-net-9929575.png

A 12 year dream comes true. Now I need to fulfill a 15 year dream and get a mkiv supra 2jzgte 6 speed.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
In my opinion, dealing with extended harnesses. Save up, cry once, and get a tweakd harness. If the extension doesnt give you troubles down the road, the 30 year old harness surely will. Wiring issues are not something you want to be chasing when trying to enjoy the car. Obviously it's your choice to make, but having dealt with the old harness route, never again for me.
Totally agree with you but as of now I'll have to work with what I have. Tweaked harness is way out of my budget. I'll fix the harness best to my ability and run it till I save up enough to get the tweaked harness. Right now I'll need to get the 1jz to r154 bellhousing, 1jz flywheel and bolts, downpipe to fit the stock twins and the catback I already have, intercooler and piping, correct brackets, and all the little nick nacks.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
I actually wish there was a tsrm for the jza70's. I'd like to know parts numbers to the extent that the tsrm provides, all the torque spes, diagnostics on sensors, and on and on as the tsrm provides.

Reactions: f00g00

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Japan has a Supra TSRM, you just have to find it.
And translate it.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
The good thing is that afaik, pretty much all torque specs carried over to the 2jz, obviously the 1jz will have some niche items, but for the most part I've used a jza80 tsrm for everything I've encountered.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
The good thing is that afaik, pretty much all torque specs carried over to the 2jz, obviously the 1jz will have some niche items, but for the most part I've used a jza80 tsrm for everything I've encountered.
I was actually thinking of referring to the 2jz tsrm for everything.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Questions?

The stock bolts used to bolt on the torque converter plate to the 1jz, can those be used to bolt on the flywheel to the 1jz?

Just confirming the 7mgte with r154 starter and pilot bearing will work on the 1jz and r154 correct?

I did remove the auto tranny off the 1jz today.

Last edited:

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Also do keep in mind with all my questions. I will be keeping everything stock on this swap. I won't be going single turbo, won't increase boost, no aftermarket parts really, stock ecu.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
You can use all of the 7m clutch setup, pressure plate, pressure plate bolts, and clutch disc, except for the flywheel. In which case you will need a jz to r154 flywheel to make it all work.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
If the car wasnt on the other side of town I would happily oblige! But seeing as I cant get to it right now I'll have to give a rain check on that haha. Definitely whenever I get it back though!

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
If the car wasnt on the other side of town I would happily oblige! But seeing as I cant get to it right now I'll have to give a rain check on that haha. Definitely whenever I get it back though!
No rush. And early appreciation for doing the deed;).

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Just confirming the automatic tranny that came with this soarer 1jz is in fact the A340 correct?

While I'm fixing up things on the harness I'm going to attempt to wire the neutral start switch to the clutch start switch. Also got to wire the reverse light switch. And finally got to figure out the skid control sensor/rear speed sensor and where to wire that up to on the harness.

I know it would be more logical to get a manual harness and ecu but will have to be down the road. Just going to get it running then work on the little details. For sure ill be doing some preventative maintenance while I have the engine out like some hard to reach seals and gaskets that requires me to remove the engine or transmission from the car while it is in. But easily reachable items can wait if not needing to be changed.

Trying to score this stock 1jz intercooler off this eBay seller. I gave him an offer and am waiting for his reply. From what I can tell it looks like the stock 7mgte intercooler brackets should work for the stock jza70 intercooler. Hopefully this seller budges and except my offer.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
The jza70 intercooler does indeed bolt up, I ran one for a while and it works with all usdm components while being a bit bigger than the ma70 counterpart. From personal experience I would highly suggest you spend $100 and get the hps heater hoses to save yourself the headache later.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
The jza70 intercooler does indeed bolt up, I ran one for a while and it works with all usdm components while being a bit bigger than the ma70 counterpart. From personal experience I would highly suggest you spend $100 and get the hps heater hoses to save yourself the headache later.
Will definitely get the hps hoses. Looks nice for the price.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
As the phrase goes "speaking of the devil himself" the nice eBay seller accepted my offer. Ill be getting a stock 1jz intercooler.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Here is the 1j with the tranny removed. I'll hopefully be putting it up on the engine stand tomorrow. Wish I could find the bolt size (width and pitch) for the tranny to engine mounting bolts but was not able to figure out the exact size so I bought 4 bolts 16 washers and 4 nuts one size smaller then the stock bolt to feed through the engine and stand holes and tighten down with the nut. Kinda hesitant to do it that way but with give it a try. Will difinantly take all safety precaution before relying fully on the stand and new mounting hardware

20200424_112849.jpg
20200424_112920.jpg
20200424_112902.jpg

A70nut

Authorized Seller
You can take a 2x4 and cut it to length to help support the front of the engine by the oil pan. Cast iron inline 6 cylinders are long heavy beasts for an engine stand and the hardware.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
You can take a 2x4 and cut it to length to help support the front of the engine by the oil pan. Cast iron inline 6 cylinders are long heavy beasts for an engine stand and the hardware.
Actually I was literally thinking that. Great minds think alike!

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok so here is the best way I could come up with to mount the engine to the stand and support it best I can on the front end.

20200425_163819.jpg
20200425_163831.jpg
20200425_163846.jpg