A little help here...

Kraken477

So I just bought my first mkIII (86) and everything works ok except for the fuel pump. I need to replace it but I have no way of removing the tank. The car is sitting on grass that isn't very level and I really don't want to die before I'm able to drive my new baby. Is there any way to carefully cut a hole in the location of the pump to remove and replace it? Or would it just be easier to dig a trench under that area of the car and remove the tank?

suprajim54

Authorized Seller
It's your car, but why consider cutting a hole in the body? Why can't you push it somewhere level instead of digging a hole in the ground?

Kraken477

Well for me it's really hard to get my friends over to my place to help me push the car. I had to load it up on the trailer by myself with ratcheting straps and unload it by myself. Sucks when your help works different shifts than you. I have a shed but again, no help to push the car.

But anyways I'm starting to think the pump might not be the issue. After inspecting the car and finding a couple missing screws, it looks as if the previous owner had already replaced the pump. I should have guessed that after finding a sds programmer for the injectors under the hood. So now I have to look elsewhere for the fuel problem...

suprajim54

Authorized Seller
Is the pump not working? If you're not sure, you can use a jumper wire in the diag block between B+ and Fp pins. You should be able to hear the pump running.

Kraken477

So the pump isn't working. I set the key to on and tried to jump the pins and nothing. I guess I'm SOL until I can get the car into the shed and jack it up to remove the tank and replace the pump.

suprajim54

Authorized Seller
Check your FP relays
There are 2 relays on the MKIII related to the fuel pump. The circuit opening relay is what actually turns the pump on or off. The Fuel pump control relay simply chooses how the +12V supply feed from the circuit opening relay will be routed, either through a resistor (+9V to the pump) or direct (+12V to the pump). Either way, if the fuel pump control relay is energized or not, there should still be power to the pump, the circuit opening relay on the other hand, is the decider on whether or not there will be any power at all.

Circuit opening relay = under dash, passenger side.
Fuel pump control relay = under hood, passenger side.

Jeff
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=110
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=FI&P=114

suprajim54

Authorized Seller
Sorry, but sounds like you're back to square one needing to replace the pump. Good luck, bribe your friends with beer/pizza to come help you push it to flat ground and drop the tank.

Kraken477

So I ended up saying F it and wedged myself under the car (who needs friends?) and disconnected 2 of the 3 hoses from the tank. I say 2 because the actual fuel line hose just would not come off and I ended up breaking it from the pump side. Anyway, I finally got the tank out. The pump and hanger are completely rusted to hell. The inside of the tank is pretty messy as well but the exterior is good. So instead of replacing the pump I'm just going to have to replace the hanger as well.

Kraken477

Fuel lines are all good! I found a hanger on Amazon for $112 so I'm definately ordering that when I get back from vacation as well as a fuel pump and a fuel filter. I'm going to bleed the brakes tomorrow and then after vacation I'm going to add fluids and fix the dash not lighting up. After all that I need to find a new wind shield as the current one looks as if someone tried to break it with a rock.