'89 Turbo Supra build

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Oh yeah, forgot I was able to see this a few days ago! It was the first time this car has seen power in a decade probably. I still had a few things left to finish so didn't try to start it. Turned it on, made sure nothing started smoking or caught fire then turned it back off! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Well, got the exhaust installed today but wasn't able to start it. This is the way the whole project has been... Two steps forward and one step back. Or in some cases, one step forward and three steps back!

Looks like I have two problems to track down. The starter won't turn over. This is most likely a ground issue (I know there are still some connections that aren't properly grounded) or blown fuses. Then after that happened I smelled gas. Looks like the #4 or #5 injector is leaking so I get to pull off the upper intake, throttle body, etc to look into that issue now!

On a positive note, the Tanabe exhaust looks awesome! It's one of the only parts of the car that actually looks good [emoji2]

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
All fuses are good. Grounds have been correctly installed and it still won't crank. After doing some research it seems like it's a fairly common problem. I read the 15-page thread about the relay bypass mod vs. doing it the "right" way. I'm going to try and track down the actual problem before I add more wiring and another relay into the equation. Still haven't fixed the injector leak but I have all the parts to do it...

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Pulled the fuel rail today to replace the grommets and o-rings on all the injectors. It turns out that the braided line going to the cold start injector was a little loose and that was the source of the leak! Oh well...

Also worked on the starting issue a little. I pulled the signal wire off the starter and it's getting about 10-10.5V when the key is turned over to "start". Plugged it back into the starter, tested it again at the back side of the connector and it was showing about 6V (while connected to the starter). It did randomly turn over a few times but now it won't do anything again. The starter relay definitely seems to be working. Tomorrow I'm going to make sure I'm getting 12V coming out of the relay and do a voltage drop test on the signal wire, I'm thinking that's the source of the problem...

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Assuming it is the signal wire that is my problem, has anybody actually repaired or replaced this before? I've seen lots of complaints about it and I've seen the relay bypass mod, which I'd really rather not do... If I need to replace it, I'm thinking I can just run a new wire from point A to point B and zip tie it to the OEM harness to keep it somewhat out of sight??

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
It's not the starter signal wire... It's looking like an issue with the ignition switch. Still working on it. [emoji53]

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
While waiting for the ignition switch to show up, I thought I'd run a wire directly to the starter to see if I could get it to start.

Well, no luck! With the key on I put 12V to the starter signal. It cranks but will not start...

- spark plugs aren't firing
- I have 12V at the coils
- I'm getting 12V on pin3 of the igniter connector
- plugs and wires are new
- CPS is new
- Tach is NOT moving when cranking

When I was researching the issue online I see lots of people asking if the tach is moving. Mine is not but the CPS is new. Not sure what that could mean... any suggestions?

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Well, that was a stupid error on my part. Left the EFI fuse out when I was messing with the starter issue. Plugged it back in and it started! I'm glad something good happened, I was ready to set the thing on fire and be done with it. Lol

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
Congrats, man!

As for the starter issue, the relay mod is basically putting in a relay, where the oem system is already using a relay,
so I'm not a fan of the 'mod'. The starter relay is in the passenger kickpanel. If you're getting voltage to the signal wire, then the oem relay isn't the problem.
It's transferring the power as its supposed to. Its either that your battery isn't fully charged(I doubt you overlooked this), or the full voltage isn't getting to the relay in the first place.

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Thanks! Yeah I'm not a fan of the idea either. The signal wire is getting voltage from the relay. We sent 12V from there and had no drop at the signal wire so I'm thinking it's in the ignition switch. I have a new one here, just need to install it. In the meantime I just hooked up a wire directly to the starter signal to be able to start the car temporarily while finishing some other stuff. After finding out there was a heater hose missing and fixing a couple small coolant leaks I was able to start it and let it run for a minute.

Now I have a few other issues... gauges aren't working and I have a misfire. The lights in the gauge cluster turn on but the actual gauges aren't working. I've checked fuses and they're ok. I'm assuming the harness is plugged in since the lights are working, right? Or is there more than one connector on the back of the gauges? I don't want to run the engine for very long without having a functioning temp gauge!

Not sure about the misfire yet either, I'll need to look into it some more. Plugs and wires are all new. CPS is new but I still need to adjust timing I think.

Last edited:

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
So looking at the repair manual, it looks like there are 5 connectors on the back of the gauge cluster. Is that right?!? Seems like a lot... if that's the case it could explain why the warning lights are all working properly but gauges are inop...

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Ok guys I'm a bit frustrated and any suggestions would be appreciated. I've tested everything in the starting circuit and can't find the issue. I'm going to cut the starter connector off tomorrow and replace it with a spade connector because it's the only possible thing I can think of at this point that could be the problem.

I also pulled the gauge cluster today to take a look at the back of it. It looks practically brand new. Some light rust on a couple screws but nothing serious. All the connectors were attached properly and it looked like it's probably never been touched before. All of the warning lights turn on but the gauges don't work. Fuses are all good. Any ideas of what could be the problem? Seems like I might've missed connecting a ground somewhere but I've gone back over it a dozen times now and can't find anything I've missed....

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Congrats, man!

As for the starter issue, the relay mod is basically putting in a relay, where the oem system is already using a relay,
so I'm not a fan of the 'mod'. The starter relay is in the passenger kickpanel. If you're getting voltage to the signal wire, then the oem relay isn't the problem.
It's transferring the power as its supposed to. Its either that your battery isn't fully charged(I doubt you overlooked this), or the full voltage isn't getting to the relay in the first place.
Just to follow up on this... I thought the same thing, it has to be before the relay. Voltage is getting from the relay to the starter wire without any issue. The only thing before that in the circuit is the ignition switch. It was cheap so I ordered a replacement. Installed it today and still have the same issue. The battery is fully charged. It's brand new as of a couple weeks ago and it's been on a charger a couple times during all my testing...

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
A little more info regarding gauge functions... the boost gauge seems to work. When I turn the key to the "on" position the boost gauge jumps up to 0. All the other gauges don't move at all. I also checked the lighting and rheostat, all seem to be working properly. The only issue I see is that the other gauges don't work at all.

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Another update... I tested all the gauges (except tach) individually and they worked fine. temp gauge turned out to be a bad sender, replaced it and the temp gauge is now working! Then the oil pressure gauge magically started working on its own...

Fuel gauge seems to be due to a bad sender and/or corrosion at the sender connector. I opened up the access panel to the tank and found lots of rust. The wiring was stuck between the tank and the car, tried pulling it through the access panel to look at it and the brittle connector fell apart. Lots of rust and corrosion in there too. So I solved a couple problems but now I'm going to drop the tank and fix the wiring there. I'm going to upgrade the fuel pump and install an oem fuel filter while I'm there.

Does anyone know how to test the tach? I know the signal comes from the igniter but I'm not really sure how to check it?

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Got a deal on a tank, sender and fuel pump bracket from a guy selling on eBay. I'm waiting for all of that to come in then I'll swap it out some time next week hopefully. Next problem to tackle after that is the tach not working and the misfire. I'm also getting some occasional blue smoke (burning oil) during idle and when revving up. I'm pretty sure that's probably from the turbo seals. There wasn't any play in the shaft before I put it on but it is the original turbo and looked rough on the outside. Luckily I have an upgrade that I got here on the forum a while back...

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Looks like car is in good hands. I thought I knew all the local Toyota guys. I was in Biloxi for quite a while.
Thanks! I wouldn't consider Biloxi local to me though, I'm up north much closer to Memphis. I have only been a member here for a few years though and haven't been active much until this year.

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
The tank got replaced over the weekend. It was pretty disgusting... the filler pipe was rusted pretty badly and the bottom of the tank was full of rust too so I really don't know how this thing has been running at all! I poured about 5 gallons of gas into what I thought was an empty tank when I finished the engine install. It looks like dirty pond water in the old tank though.

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
I also adjusted the CPS to 10* BTDC. It was already pretty close but I didn't know for sure and I was hoping it might help my rough idle. No luck though so I'm still working towards figuring that out. I'm just now realizing I should be posting more pictures of this stuff!

Another thing I've been working on is getting the factory electric fan relays to run my Mishimoto fans. I got rid of the mechanical fan for this shroud/fan combo and planned on using a Painless F5 controller I've had lying around for a while. After doing some research online I decided to give the oem wiring a chance first. I figured it was already there and I'd much rather use the existing electrical system than add more complexity to it. The only hesitation I had was not really knowing what temperature the oem fan switch turned on. So I cut off the connectors and wired the fans in. I grounded the connector going to the aux fan temp switch and both fans turned on! "Great!", I thought. So I started the car and let it warm up... and warm up some more... and hotter and hotter.. eventually got to the point where I wasn't comfortable with the temp and turned it off. I still don't know what temp it's set at but I could've just had a bad switch I guess? So anyway, I found a 200* switch from Summit for about $20 that fits into the thermostat housing. Installed it, put a spade connector on the wire harness and connected it to the new temp switch. I still need to test it to make sure it turns on at the right temp but I'm pretty confident this setup will work!

While I'm at it, the other temp switch I removed is for the a/c fans. I'm assuming that switch just turned on the 3rd electric fan that was between the radiator and condenser right? So if I don't have that fan I don't need the switch hooked up? The wire that went to the switch is broken anyway so I'm hoping I don't need it and can just leave it unhooked... someone please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Man, this has been a very slow process since day one!

Had a chance to do some work on the car this afternoon... installed a set of oem injectors I picked up off the site here. After seeing how disgusting the old fuel tank was I thought the injectors were probably clogged and contributing to my rough idle and misfire issues. While doing that, I found the #5 and #6 injector connectors were mixed up and the one that should've been on #5 had a broken wire. So I was basically running on 4 1/2 cylinders... got the new injectors in and the wiring issues fixed up... I also installed a silicone intake "accordion" hose and swapped the DriftMotion/CXRacing intake piping back from the HKS style BOV to the OEM style. I should be starting it up tomorrow. Hopefully my misfire/rough idle issues are gone now and I can move on to the next problem(s)!

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Thanks! Misfire is gone and it purrs like a kitten now. Also smokes like a freight train though :(

I'm hoping it's just a blown turbo and/or valve stem seals. I have the original turbo on it now but have a replacement/upgrade ready to go on.

There's also a possibility the valve stem seals are leaking causing some smoke. It smokes a LOT at startup and continues to smoke (not as bad) at idle. Could be a combination of turbo and valve stem seals I guess, I'm just hoping it's not piston rings or anything serious...

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. I think the head was supposed to have been rebuilt before I got it. Will blown turbo seals cause a huge amount of smoke at startup though? I was thinking the smoking at idle would lean more towards the turbo seals but startup smoke was more likely to be valve stem seals??

Last edited:

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
New turbo is on, that solved the majority of the smoking. There's still a little smoke at startup and very little at idle. Suspension has been the latest priority. I finally had my Illuminas installed along with a set of H&R springs. Energy bushings have been installed in the front along with all new alignment parts. Rear bushings are next. Also have a set of Whiteline sway bars going on... at this rate it'll be ready to drive in about 5 more years!

Last edited:

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Suspension is 100% installed and aligned now! Illumina II shocks, H&R springs, KYB mounts, Whiteline sway bars, Energy Suspension bushings all over. Drove it around the parking lot a little... lots of squeaks and rattles to chase down eventually.

Next up is a Mishimoto catch can and replacing the OEM oil cooler setup. I'm also going to be replacing the dash and checking the dash harness while it's apart to try to figure out why all of my gauges aren't working properly.

Last edited:

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Well, I drove it home from the shop today. First time this car has been on the road in almost 20 years! It’s not 100% yet but it’s getting close. It was pretty cool hearing the turbo spool after owning this thing for several years and feeling like I was wasting lots of time and money on it!

The front bumper is pretty trashed and will need to be replaced eventually. I haven’t installed the new oil cooler and catch can yet. I still have to install the new dash and figure out what’s wrong with the tach. One thing at a time but now that it’s at my house I’ll have more opportunities to work on it...

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Yes it is. I’m planning on adding a trans cooler eventually but trying to get the oil cooler setup figured out first.

SupraKid

Authorized Seller
Gotcha, since changing out the intercooler I’ll have to cross that bridge eventually but for now I just moved it with the stock lines attached.

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Well, I've made some progress over the last few weeks...

I got the new dash in, looks 1,000% better than the old one that had a HUGE crack in it and was falling apart. Also swapped in another gauge cluster while I was at it and the new tach works perfectly.

I had the valve stem seals replaced so all of the smoking at startup and idle is gone! I was super excited about that. Also had some BC 264 cams installed while that was done. I bought them used from the forum here a few years ago so went ahead and had them installed while it was apart. I was expecting a little bit of lope at idle with them but it doesn't seem like the idle has changed at all, is that normal with these cams? I have a pretty quiet exhaust too so that could contribute to it...

I ordered a few random interior pieces from eBay (door panels, TEMS switch, glove box and parking brake cover). I've been waiting about a month for some RC550 injectors to come in. I also bought some new targa seals that I plan on replacing later today.

I haven't driven it much, waiting for the injectors to show up. I should have those some time this week then I'll do the Lexus AFM/550 install along with an Innovate wideband AFR gauge.

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
Man, you've been through the ringer on this one. Glad to see that it's finally coming to fruition.

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
Man, you've been through the ringer on this one. Glad to see that it's finally coming to fruition.
Yes I have! Now all I have to do is find somebody willing to buy it for about $15k and it will all have been worth it... hahaha! o_O

Joe__G

Authorized Seller
That's one of the few things I won't be able to do myself, so it's last on the list of priorities. Once I get everything else sorted out I'll decide if I want to make the investment in body and paint work.

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
Hey Joe-
Long time since I've checked in on your build. I'm really glad to see that
A) - You still have the car
B) - You're finally getting close to the finish line. Well, Projects are never finished, but you're driving it.

Keep up the updates. A lot of people have gravitated away from the forums, and onto Facebook for their info.
But I'm finally starting to think that they're coming back here more and more. Just like I am.