88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

lithium14

Authorized Seller
ugh... hopefully within a month. Sergio said he's dropping off the new crank this week. I'm waiting for all my parts to come back/arrive. Once I get the engine, I still need to mock up oil/ps/trans lines and get any fittings/hoses I need. Then it's just a matter of collecting fluids needed (mainly just break in and regular engine oil).

S.A. supra

Authorized Seller
Oh man^

I should be firing it up in a couple of weeks. Then another month she should be on the road. Maybe you can come down to s.a. and hang out with the s.a. crew.

I keep seeing a gray 89+ on slaughter, any idea who it is?

Supra_dan

Authorized Seller
Not going to lie...every time I visit this thread... I really hope that degreaser stuff really works... I miss not having a clean engine bay :'(

lithium14

Authorized Seller
hell yeah, dude there are quite a few Supra people in Austin too. and I found out that there is a cars and coffee here too. If we are both up and running, I'll let everyone I know know and we can meet up for cars and coffee. Also TX2K13 is gonna be insane, the MK3's are gonna show up in force with several high hp ones too, zach will prob be over 700 by then, Sergio should be close to 900, I'll be at 700 hopefully, Derek will be at 500... it's gonna be epic.

lithium14

Authorized Seller
OK, question. You guys all know how the steering wheel locks when you turn the wheel with the key out? Anybody know how to undo the lock? The car has no power and no wire harness.... locked it on accident while trying to get my steering pan off.

lithium14

Authorized Seller
LOL..... dude I'm getting kinda worried... my valve body has been in transit for 2 weeks now, crank scraper for 3... wtf is going on??? No one is responding to my emails either!!...

lithium14

Authorized Seller
that, is a teflon dual sided crank scraper from Ishihara Johnson. Helps to keep oil from building up on the crank lobes and increasing rotational mass, meaning faster revs and healthier rotating assembly. Also helps to keep the oil in the pan, and not splashing about. =D The teflon makes it a zero tolerance fit, it is slightly noisier, but I'll be ok with that.

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/What is a crank-scraper.html

lithium14

Authorized Seller
Anybody know how to take the passenger side air vent on the dash, out?? I don't want to be breaking any tabs...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Anybody know how to take the passenger side air vent on the dash, out?? I don't want to be breaking any tabs...
Stick a small screwdriver in the corner and push on the edge, should pop out

lithium14

Authorized Seller
lol thanks guys. I managed to shatter one of the door vents in the top of the panel... -_- so I guess I'm just gonna use some filler and paint it.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Authorized Seller
Contributor
You can pop those out from behind the panel...

oh well, live and learn.

FuzzayD

Authorized Seller
fuck heaps of pages cbf reading them all looks clean, does it have hydraulics? wow its high. you were born in it, whoa awesome.

lithium14

Authorized Seller
Haha... not quite sure what you wrote there.... it's a little... fuzzay

In other news, the radiator in the SC blew up on me. Ordered a Koyo OEM replacement. Hopefully it can survive until the weekend... I'm just gonna have to carry several gallons of water around with me and blast the heater on HIGH.

lithium14

Authorized Seller
Ooooo guess what came in the mail todayyyyyy

Actually before I get to that, here is some stuff I got before.

2 of my 3 B&M super coolers. Polished one is for Power Steering and the black one is for Engine Oil.

Got myself a nice Keychain

After much ado, got my 6M crank scraper from Ishihara Johnson.

Teflon bladed 0 clearance too!!

57 Trim goodness

Ceramic Coated hotside

10 Degree clip

Missing a stud for the Oil Outlet thingy. Hopefully I can find a bolt that fits

IBoughtASupra

Authorized Seller
Coming from a guy who did this

You should really get the polish stuff anodized clear. It will save you the maintainence work.

Keep it up Bubba.

lithium14

Authorized Seller
Thanks guys!! *sigh If I had the cash, you know I would definitely look for a more hardy form of beautification. Powder coating is definitely in the future, just not now :(. I might even chrome some stuff. Not a lot, just some.

Just got my valve body back from Devin. Looks great, can't wait to feel those tire chirping shifts!! lol

Silver MK3

Authorized Seller
I have been keeping up with your build thread lately, and you are going to have quite a Supra once you get it all put back together. It's real easy to tell that you have a true dedication to your Supra.

I also saw that you posted in a for sale thread and asked about removing the door lock bezels. Here is a link that explains how to remove them and has part numbers to order new clips from Toyota. http://www.supras.com/06/techcenter/printable.php?QID=72

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I wasn't sold on the polished compressor housing.... until now. That thing looks gorgeous against the black ceramic coated hot side. Driftmotion or Albert?

lithium14

Authorized Seller
oh wow! thanks Silver MK3, lol this will def help next time I take my door cards off. And my turbo was rebuilt by Albert =D can't wait to see how it performs.

And I just wanna say, thanks guys for following this build and commenting etc etc. I really appreciate it, I remember when I first joined SM and spent hours upon hours just drooling over all the build threads, and now that I can contribute to the community as well, it means a lot. thanks everyone!!!

Silver MK3

Authorized Seller
oh wow! thanks Silver MK3, lol this will def help next time I take my door cards off. And my turbo was rebuilt by Albert =D can't wait to see how it performs.

And I just wanna say, thanks guys for following this build and commenting etc etc. I really appreciate it, I remember when I first joined SM and spent hours upon hours just drooling over all the build threads, and now that I can contribute to the community as well, it means a lot. thanks everyone!!!
The only reason I know you can get them new from the dealer is because I broke mine when I took the door panels off to change the speakers. It wasn't until after I broke all of the clips that I found the instructions on how to take off the clips, and the part numbers.

FullNelson

Authorized Seller
The only reason I know you can get them new from the dealer is because I broke mine when I took the door panels off to change the speakers.
How long ago did you order the clips? I was under the impression that the clips were no longer available new from the dealer.

lithium14

Authorized Seller
LOL. I just got ones from someone who sold me his lock bezels.

I apologize for the lack of updates guys.... my block is still at the machinist (who is supposed to be the best in Dallas, goes by the name of Watt, if anyone knows him). My buddy in Dallas recently dropped off a virgin 6M crank, so both he and the machinist now have everything needed to finish the rebuild. Simply a matter of waiting now.

In the meantime, I am in the process of kicking off a new business venture: mobile detailing in the city of Austin. Here is the link to my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/LisPerformanceDetail

I will be adding more information as the weeks go by, to include prices, material, techniques, etc. Today I finished my first test car (roommates 2009 Honda Civic) and posted lots of before and after pics. I still have to work on time saving measures as it took me much longer to do the full package on her car than I intended, not to mention I didn't even get into the interior. I plan to also get into paint correction once I can afford the tools and material needed. I will be practicing that on my Lexus SC. If I can restore that car, I can restore any car lol.