(87, 7MGTE ,auto)First project car help(tips, wisdom, suggestions needed)

Ogg1es

Hello(newbie), I am looking at building a 7mgte, My current goal is to get it driving without worrying about rodknock or BHG and eventually working my way upto 350-400hp over a few years, the head and block(top and bottom) appear to be in good shape just sat for ahile, I want to do this the right way the 1st time. I know to get head surfaced, i know to replace stock oil cooler and delete the banjo bolt, I'm planning on ordering full top and bottom gasket/seal kits, a metal head gasket(idk which one), ARP studs/install washers,A new aisin oil pump,a good set of used oil squirters, clevite rod/main bearing set, a high flow oil cooler(idk which yet), Aisin water pump, i heard about the walbro 255, and a gates timing kit, aftermarket BOV, turbo piping, new injectors, and spark plugs, and eventually eagle rods/pistons or maybe new oem ones, also planning on doing a 3inch exhaust system. If you have any tips, part suggestions, wisdom to give etc please tell me i will greatly appreciate it. Sorry for long post I am new to this forum thing.

Reactions: debrucer

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hello(newbie), I am looking at building a 7mgte, My current goal is to get it driving without worrying about rodknock or BHG and eventually working my way upto 350-400hp over a few years, the head and block(top and bottom) appear to be in good shape just sat for ahile, I want to do this the right way the 1st time. I know to get head surfaced, i know to replace stock oil cooler and delete the banjo bolt, I'm planning on ordering full top and bottom gasket/seal kits, a metal head gasket(idk which one), ARP studs/install washers,A new aisin oil pump,a good set of used oil squirters, clevite rod/main bearing set, a high flow oil cooler(idk which yet), Aisin water pump, i heard about the walbro 255, and a gates timing kit, aftermarket BOV, turbo piping, new injectors, and spark plugs, and eventually eagle rods/pistons or maybe new oem ones, also planning on doing a 3inch exhaust system. If you have any tips, part suggestions, wisdom to give etc please tell me i will greatly appreciate it. Sorry for long post I am new to this forum thing.
This site is the place for all those things... Ask questions. Post pictures. Start a build thread... and have fun in the forums. Welcome, of course :)

Ogg1es

This site is the place for all those things... Ask questions. Post pictures. Start a build thread... and have fun in the forums. Welcome, of course :)
For my goal of getting on the road without worrying what else or less seems good?

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
First welcome.

So we see a goal but you did not state what is the budget :)

One of the things that I have been telling everyone. If you want more RELIABLE power, no need to do any bolt on's. Just do a standalone right out of the gates. That way you can start with a good baseline (assuming the engine is in solid shape). There are to many limiting factors with the OEM TCCS to rely on it long term at higher than stock power levels.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
For my goal of getting on the road without worrying what else or less seems good?
The first thing that I see is that you're going with a MHG and surfacing the head. You've really got to do the block, too. Both head and block need to be smooth to a particular RA (roughness average)... which is hard to search for here... search engine needing more characters. Personally, I have read the articles from an user named http://www.supramania.com/forum/threads/7m-assembly-tips.5631/adjustor <-- this guy... explains it all without too much controversy :) Keep in mind, I'm a guy who has been working on his Supra for almost 15 years... and don't have the same goals as you, but, if you're really going to do it right, no MHG without block and head being shaved. Adjustor's posts are a good starting point. Now, come on with pictures :)

Ogg1es

The first thing that I see is that you're going with a MHG and surfacing the head. You've really got to do the block, too. Both head and block need to be smooth to a particular RA (roughness average)... which is hard to search for here... search engine needing more characters. Personally, I have read the articles from an user named http://www.supramania.com/forum/threads/7m-assembly-tips.5631/adjustor <-- this guy... explains it all without too much controversy :) Keep in mind, I'm a guy who has been working on his Supra for almost 15 years... and don't have the same goals as you, but, if you're really going to do it right, no MHG without block and head being shaved. Adjustor's posts are a good starting point. Now, come on with pictures :)
Forgot to say I am getting both surfaced, my budget is whatever, just getting parts as i save my pay check. Just graduated and have no bills or rent to pay for next 4yrs. Focusing my paycheck i make almost purely the car and its parts for next 2yrs. I will be putting pictures here soon too.

Ogg1es

First welcome.

One of the things that I have been telling everyone. If you want more RELIABLE power, no need to do any bolt on's. Just do a standalone right out of the gates. That way you can start with a good baseline (assuming the engine is in solid shape). There are to many limiting factors with the OEM TCCS to rely on it long term at higher than stock power levels.
Dont really have a budget, just graduated, no bills/rent to pay for next 4 years, 2 years of pay from my job in residential construction purely on car/parts, usually been looking at mid-ish ranged priced parts but not the very best parts, just BETTER and morr reliable than oem, and also which standalone would you reccomend?, i dont really know how to tune in that way.

Ogg1es

Images posted, i have interior ones too.

Ogg1es

First welcome.

Would you reccomend a ECUmaster DET3?, cost 420 its a piggyback and very popular.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Ditto: piggy back= blown engine just a matter of time. You can check my build thread for proof lol Don't skimp on machine work, have it done right. Also, save yourself the headache and clean up the engine harness if not redo it. Get really familiar with the TSRM and TEWD

Reactions: JustAnotherVictim