7mgte Valves

Az7mgte

So I recently took my head to the machine shop to get resurfaced and a valve job but they wanted 500 dollars for the valve job so I never had a problem with them other than being very dirty (carbon) so my question is what is my best option for doing it at home. Also 2 of my intake had rust on them is this a problem.? Thanks.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
$500 for a good 3 angle valve job doesn't seem out of line for good work. Maybe $100 high. 8 years ago I paid $870 for head milling, cleaning, testing, 3 angle valve job, ARP studs and stem seals on a $100 head the shop had lying around. Take out the head, ARP hardware and cleaning/milling/testing and you're right around 300-350. Throw in 8 years inflation and I think you're right around $400.

If you don't mind a future tear down and engine build, sure try yourself. If you want to make sure it's done right the first time, pay the shop.

Az7mgte

The problem is that I just dont have the money. I would love to do everything the right way but I really cant afford it. I'm just looking for the best way I can do it myself.

bsupra

Authorized Seller
The problem is that I just dont have the money. I would love to do everything the right way but I really cant afford it. I'm just looking for the best way I can do it myself.
I agree with suprarx7nut. Unless you have a friend that can show you how to do it right, then go for it.

It is usually a gamble if you are not sure if you are not sure what you're doing. It usually ended up costing more in the end.

When my exhaust manifold was loose and leaking, there was a kit from driftmotion (I believe $75) to re-thread and replace helicoil. I know its tempting but re-threading the head is just one shot and easy to screw up. I just saved-up and paid $500 to Jose to do the repairs at Kaizen Motorsports. Its been 10 yrs now and its still good. Best $500 I spent on the supra LOL.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
That's understandable. In that case I'd just clean them by hand before assembly and use them as is. If you have one or more than are really dirty/rusty maybe try to buy some replacements or just a couple redone. Don't try to do any grinding/sanding/serious lapping yourself.

If you have any other funds that would go to "mods" I'd re-allocate them to the head work. Mods can always go on, but machine work is much harder to go back and do later.

The shop can probably advise if they really *need* any work.

Az7mgte

So to clean them by hand should I just get some brake/carb clean and a rag and clean them the best I can.?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
So to clean them by hand should I just get some brake/carb clean and a rag and clean them the best I can.?
Without having done any research on this exact topic, I would use throttle body/carb cleaner with a brass bristle brush. Do some googling though, maybe there's a better approach or a reason to just leave it be.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Put one valve in a drill at a time and use some high grit sandpaper (only around the bottom of the valve and avoid the top where the valve steam seal goes). Here is how mine looked before and after:

Also buy some valve lapping paste and the lapping tool and do them yourself until you get a nice clean lip on the valve. It took some time on some valves but it was super easy to do: