7mge head interchangeable with 7mgte cylinder head?

87'N/A

Authorized Seller
Found a new(used) head for my Supra on eBay. It's off a 7mgte but mine is a 7mge. I'm wondering if the head off a turbo motor will work on a non turbo? I know that it will match up with the block I'm just worried that the exhaust manifold flange may be different???

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
The heads themselves are identical. The cams are different, but just swap over the 7MGE cams and it'll all be good.

A used head from ebay sounds fishy though. Are you sure your current head is trash?

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I have a 7mGE head I am pulling off very soon of my recent 86.5 Supra with 108k miles I picked up if you want to keep a true 7mGE head. A 7mGTE head will work as well but as stated keep the 7mGE intake cam (I believe it was just that cam that was slightly different).

I wonder why your machine shop says your cylinder head is trash? Maybe a different machine shop may have a different opinion unless your current one has a good reason on their decision.

87'N/A

Authorized Seller
They said that they would have to resurface/shave off much more than usual and even then they're not sure if it would come out flat. And that it also has some cracks here and there.

87'N/A

Authorized Seller
Talked to the machine shop myself today (prior info was third party). They said it was warped beyond repair, and the camshafts were messed up, valves not sealing, and that it had already been worked on before. So basically unsalvageable. If anyone can take a look at the link I posted and tell me want you think that would be great! I know you won't be able to see from pictures of it's warped or anything, but if there's anything obviously wrong that jumps out at you that would be great! Thanks

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
To me that sounds like way too many listed problems and this place may just be trying to avoid a inline 6 cylinder head. Almost all camshafts on the 7m head naturally have some scoring in them. I would take it somewhere else for a 2nd or even 3rd opinion as different machinist work in/on different engine environments.

It took me 3 places to get my block and cylinder head worked on and at the final place they worked on everything with people 20+ years of experience. The machinist that worked on my motor even worked on a few of these 7m motors in the 90's in Chicago where he used to work. He even remembered the rear timing plate that needed to be machined with the block (which I did also before I even brought it up).