3P's TCCS Disassembly/Analysis

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The Turbo-A ECU board needs to support the 6 cylinder 7MGTE ignition system, which pretty much rules out anything with a 4 cylinder. In fact, it may be custom, since I cannot think of any other production Toyota with that setup. I was hoping the 1G might be the ticket, but if it had a flapper AFM then I don't think so.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I have the software from the 7MGTE Techtom ECU. It was disappointing how little they changed, at least for the one I had. And they just disable the fuel cut. They don't actually do anything when the load goes past 100% which makes me wonder how many engines were blown up because of that.

Anyway, pictures of custom ECUs are always welcome. I've never got my hands on a C5 ECU to pull out the code. Strangely most owners seem reluctant to send it off to a stranger so he can pull it apart. Can't understand it! hehe

Reactions: debrucer

andrewp724

Back from the Suby
Authorized Seller
3P, how far away are you from these being offered. I’m getting excited about this again after seeing the recent activity.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
I don't believe this will happen as it hasn't happened by now as much as 3p doesn't want to let down the community unfortunately I think he has... So much time has passed... :(

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I shipped my first yellow plug ecu to Piratetip last week. In order to do that I needed to finish disassembling the yellow plug ecu code and modify it for the lexus afm and larger injectors. Post 89 ecu software sets a code 21 if you run it on yellow plug hardware. I also built an adapter to test a yellow plug ecu on my 90. So things are moving ahead.

Image1.jpg

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
Great news, should we expect this to complete this year :p I already got a megasquirt PNP so I'm a happy camper for now.. Stock is still appealing ...

mentat-vvo

Authorized Seller
Hello, supramaniacs.

At last, my version of chip-tuning module works fine with 7433 MCU & 7M-GTE.
However, I used 5B25 MCU here through the adapter. I use Bluetooth for comms, time-multiplexing for seamless memory transfer, COPs-ready outputs and many other functions. I use TunerStudio with CAN-style protocol emulation. ShadowDash and even MSDroid work fine.
The 7M-GTE MT JDM ECU below is supplied with LC-1 WBO2 controller (well, my vision of LC-1) and Motorola MPXH6400 MAP sensor for boost control via internal boost-controller. A boost-solenoid is controlled via power transistor that just sits in the thermal tube.

Last edited:

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Authorized Seller
Wow there's some serious black magic in this thread. Typically if it's smaller than 10mm I try not to mess with it :)

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
wow, holy crap. When I saw that bt unit i knew right away it was BT. I don't know much of anything about EE, but I know a component that I've used and I can solder and depin like a champ with my rework station. That's amazing that you are using TS, and MS droid. I use it with my PNP ms3. I really wish I knew how to tune the knock sensors better on the MS3 using the values in the factory ECU. When you log in TS, are the converted values or raw hex values?

mentat-vvo

Authorized Seller
wow, holy crap. When I saw that bt unit i knew right away it was BT. I don't know much of anything about EE, but I know a component that I've used and I can solder and depin like a champ with my rework station. That's amazing that you are using TS, and MS droid. I use it with my PNP ms3. I really wish I knew how to tune the knock sensors better on the MS3 using the values in the factory ECU. When you log in TS, are the converted values or raw hex values?
When I send values to the TS, I use conversion, sometimes. Data of temperature sensors are first converted inside the ECU using linear interpolation with 17-point curves (VEMS-like style, no ini-files needed from TS). Others are converted outside, in TS, since it could be easily done using custom maincontroller.ini config file. Sometimes I use raw values, because I am too lazy to convert them, AIR flow, for example. The knock settings in MS3 are just related to TPIC8101 IC, which in MS3 hardware setup works best with wide-band knock sensors. So, you cannot just transfer any factory values to MS3.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I saw someone posted pics of the TurboA TCCS over in one of the FB groups

View attachment 84557

View attachment 84556

View attachment 84558
It's taking me forever to get through this thread... and I'm sure, over-thinking how it may be better than my Speeduino solution. The thought of a stand-along that completely replaces the factory code has never made sense to me. The analysis in this thread is amazing... and while I read most everything that gets posted, to me there's some difference to studying it. I think I'm ten pages of posts into a twenty-some page thread, or in years. I think it's been 12. I'm not throwing out my Speeduino yet but perhaps it's not in its final place. If what I'm looking at is even remotely what I think it should be, well, this is extremely cool. I'm at the point where I only theoretically think I understand :) For the longest time I have pondered what to do about the ABS with a stand-alone, and for that reason alone, I hope to integrate my Speeduino as a piggy-back. Yet, I don't see people doing this... they jump to a plug-and-play standalone and don't look back. Wonder if they have ABS :) But, if I am ever to do this, I've got to do better as there is nothing yet defined to plug.

Anyway, again... this is cool stuff! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 3p141592654

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
That looks like a techtom modified turboA ECU. It even uses the correct micro with the version 1149 code burned into it so they must have removed it and reinstalled into the techtom board.

I also have a turboA ECU that I have pulled the code from and taken a look. The problem is that the hardware is unique. I do not know where to find that hardware to make more of them. The speed-density design means that it is not like a normal GTE ECU at all.

Last edited:

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor
That looks like a techtom modified turboA ECU. It even uses the correct micro with the version 1149 code burned into it so they must have removed it and reinstalled into the techtom board.

I also have a turboA ECU that I have pulled the code from and taken a look. The problem is that the hardware is unique. I do not know where to find that hardware to make more of them. The speed-density design means that it is not like a normal GTE ECU at all.
and behind the Pink paper is a resettable with UV light EEPROM. Trying to get pictures.

the hardware, are you talking about the EEPROM or what is below the S101?

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The 151801 processor chip is what I was referring to. That board layout looks like the Techtom design, although it is usually plugged into a socket where the CPU goes and the extra height absorbed in a taller lid. The use of a ribbon cable is unusal.

If someone could identify a production ECU that uses that same ECU board then we would have something to work with. At one time I thought maybe the 1G used it, but apparently the 1G uses a flapper MAF.

timtiminy

Authorized Seller
So I ditched my 7m and went with a 2jzge and want to put a turbo on it. I got myself jdm 2jzgte ecu which control 440cc injectors but I want to use 540cc injectors is it possible to get it chipped for that change? I know this discussion is about the 7mgte ecu but I believe the 2jz Ecus share a similar platform?

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
So I ditched my 7m and went with a 2jzge and want to put a turbo on it. I got myself jdm 2jzgte ecu which control 440cc injectors but I want to use 540cc injectors is it possible to get it chipped for that change? I know this discussion is about the 7mgte ecu but I believe the 2jz Ecus share a similar platform?
Look at the age of this thread and the fact we still can't buy these and ask your self again if you think you'll get what you need in time. Geforce is your best bet for that. Or Emanage or something works really well on the 2jz.

• Haha
Reactions: Z06gette

mentat-vvo

Authorized Seller
Please, post a photo of yours 2JZGE's ECU internals. Its tuneability depends on the ECU's generation.

mentat-vvo

Authorized Seller
The 151801 processor chip is what I was referring to. That board layout looks like the Techtom design, although it is usually plugged into a socket where the CPU goes and the extra height absorbed in a taller lid. The use of a ribbon cable is unusal.

If someone could identify a production ECU that uses that same ECU board then we would have something to work with. At one time I thought maybe the 1G used it, but apparently the 1G uses a flapper MAF.
I've studied the pics of a 2010 board from turboA above and found it pretty much similar to a regular one. I think, those boards are compatible. The differences are in KS/PIM cirquitry, where MAP-based ECU sends analog signal to ADC (there are spare ports available), while KS-based ECU uses voltage translator and input capture pin of the MCU directly.

mentat-vvo

Authorized Seller
Yes, I used to modify this generation of 2JZ-GTE ECUs (supra 80 & Aristo 147) and the next one ,equipped with three 68-pin MCUs.

timtiminy

Authorized Seller
@mentat-vvo what kind of modifications can you do? I am looking for a basic larger injector and single turbo tune with a limiter increase and speed cut delete.

mentat-vvo

Authorized Seller
@mentat-vvo what kind of modifications can you do? I am looking for a basic larger injector and single turbo tune with a limiter increase and speed cut delete.
That's egg zactly what I can do with it. Also, you need extended fuelling/ignadv maps in order to handle increased pressure. I can extend them up to ~250 kPa of absolute pressure, but this feature is usable when a proper MAP-sensor is installed. I suggest Subaru/Denso 22012AA160 part that is supported in my software to emulate stock sensor's characteristics.

Maps handling, fuel scaler (req fuel in terms of MegaSquirt), limiters could be adjusted online from TunerStudio with custom project. Speed limiter is permanently disabled. I have also found a simple way to recalculate warmup/cold start curves in order to support larger injectors to prevent overfuellng, as well as Dead Time table management.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
Wow really, but can only expand to 250 KPA as maximum? I would be very interested. I have a modified ECU which always gave me the most power I've ever seen on stock twins. It has extended RPM, boost cut, speed cut removal. However, I plan on running upgraded twins, bigger injectors and much more PSI probably 30. I currently use an emanage, and this ecu. I would love to just use this ECU especially since the emanage has trouble with injector sizing and dead times. I actually have 5 2jz ECU's in different flavors.. 1 TUSDM TechTom ECU, 2 separately modified JDM ecus (1 jzs147 with higher boost rev limit and no speed cut. 1 JZA80 manual JDM which came on my JZA80, no speed cut ,raised boost cut, ignition changes, higher rev limit). Also have a 6 spd JDM ecu.

mentat-vvo

Authorized Seller
Wow really, but can only expand to 250 KPA as maximum? I would be very interested. I have a modified ECU which always gave me the most power I've ever seen on stock twins. It has extended RPM, boost cut, speed cut removal. However, I plan on running upgraded twins, bigger injectors and much more PSI probably 30. I currently use an emanage, and this ecu. I would love to just use this ECU especially since the emanage has trouble with injector sizing and dead times. I actually have 5 2jz ECU's in different flavors.. 1 TUSDM TechTom ECU, 2 separately modified JDM ecus (1 jzs147 with higher boost rev limit and no speed cut. 1 JZA80 manual JDM which came on my JZA80, no speed cut ,raised boost cut, ignition changes, higher rev limit). Also have a 6 spd JDM ecu.
I can download the data from the best performing boost-up ECU and use it as a starting point. 250 kPa limit comes from the internal data representation of the MAP-sensor current value and its derivatives. It's actually a 16-bit value and theoretically could be adjusted to handle up to 512 kPa with some loss of resolution. However, 1.5 kPa of boost is IMHO enough for everyone.