3D Printed Supra Parts

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
These are the clips needed. If people understood how to remove the bezel there would be no issue. You need to push it in and slide to the rear to release the bezel. If you just yank on it or use a trim tool the metal tab will bend or break.

View attachment 81725
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=6703&P=1

They seem to still be listed by many sites, but I have not tried ot order them in years. If they used them on other models they may still be available.

There was actually a TSB on them.

Toyota service bulletin: REMOVAL OF DOOR LOCK BEZEL

removal of front clip:
(1) push the front of the bezel back to the rear with your hand
(2) lightly pull the bezel away from the door

removal of rear clip:
(1) move the bezel toward the front of the vehicle and pull out
I ordered those clips from Toyota maybe...3-4 years ago.
They were all still available then.

Don't know if they are anymore.
Well I'll be damned. I never knew there was a specific process for removing those beyond the TSRM instruction to "push a tab in and release" which I could never figure out. I could never depress a tab and just had to wiggle it around until it broke free. I'll feel dumb if that tip to push it forward and backward solves it.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Who gets to design the 3d model for that. LOL!
Yeah no joke. Not to mention a couple test fitments. Aw, crap the curvature of pieces 65-183 are wrong, Better adjust and re-print.

I have been trying to justify a good 3d scanner, but really good hand held ones that could do a piece that big are still very expensive.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Hatch Block fresh off the printer with fiberglass reinforcement. It's way stiffer than my previous ones (which were still stiff enough). The default is an extra 8mm of length, but I can modify it to fit whatever's needed to take up the slack in the hatch cable.

Loving this new printer.

Attachments

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Nice piece suprax7nut, I like the design and detail of it. I hope you and others keep those 3d printed Supra parts coming.

f00g00

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hatch Block fresh off the printer with fiberglass reinforcement. It's way stiffer than my previous ones (which were still stiff enough). The default is an extra 8mm of length, but I can modify it to fit whatever's needed to take up the slack in the hatch cable.
Loving this new printer.
Does the Hatch Block work on Pre 89?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Does the Hatch Block work on Pre 89?
I haven't figured out the exact cut-off yet. My 91 has the block. My 90 had the block. I thought my 88 had the block. I bought a used cable from an 89 and it had the block. Another user on SM ( @suprapilot maybe?) has an 89 without the block.

I would advise anyone to double check by removing the center rear hatch trim and looking. It's visible with that one panel removed. That also gives you a chance to check how much slop is in the cable and ensure you buy the best extension. I have 8mm and 12mm listed on the site, but can do any length.

1560567971072.png

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
I ordered one, and was supra excited by the order number!
Cannot wait to get it and thank you so much suprax7nut for making this!

Leet.jpg

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
A buddy of mine has a Form2, he printed this prototype for me:

2019-06-09 14.08.56.jpg

With the Form2, you have to be careful in choosing the orientation of the part, as the "top" surface finish isn't always perfect. But this part had all of the important geometry. Now that I know it fits as I've drawn it, I can look into getting is milled out of aluminum.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I'm not sure. It's a critical part, and while I'm ok using one on my own car, I don't want the liability of a failure on someone elses car. It may be a case of selling the housing portion, and the user has to have their shaft machined to match.

Of course, now that I've posted it, it's just a matter of time before someone uses the idea and makes their own for production, which has happened with several of my other parts.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I'm not sure. It's a critical part, and while I'm ok using one on my own car, I don't want the liability of a failure on someone elses car. It may be a case of selling the housing portion, and the user has to have their shaft machined to match.

Of course, now that I've posted it, it's just a matter of time before someone uses the idea and makes their own for production, which has happened with several of my other parts.
Having started a couple businesses and created many of my own products, it's not the idea/design that's tough, but rather the production, ongoing customer support and liability that are the real hurdles.

I'd have a really hard time offering that as a product without real extensive testing. I'd have the same reservations you're describing. I'd be paranoid of a part failing, leaving someone stranded on a highway somewhere. Worse yet, somebody gets a car hit or themselves hit while stranded... eek. Liability nightmare.

I like your idea of selling the blank casing.

Z06gette

Authorized Seller
Even the blank housing is more than what can be found new, its interesting never the less.

So will machining my shaft hurt?? Asking for a friend.... LOL

loc182

Seven Empowered!
Authorized Seller
So I got the YotaMD Hatch Release Block today!

Sadly it looks like my problem is not a stretched cable, but something is wrong with the short cable that connects the cabin lever to the release mechanism. Even if I disconnect this cable from the one running to the cabin lever and pull as hard as I can it cannot move the release mechanism enough to pop the hatch. The key can move it just fine, so there must be something amiss with system that lets the key turn the release lever on and off. Guess I need to take off exterior center trim piece to see what is going on.

Definitely happy with the part though and will install it once I have sorted my other issue Thanks again for making it!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
So I got the YotaMD Hatch Release Block today!

Sadly it looks like my problem is not a stretched cable, but something is wrong with the short cable that connects the cabin lever to the release mechanism. Even if I disconnect this cable from the one running to the cabin lever and pull as hard as I can it cannot move the release mechanism enough to pop the hatch. The key can move it just fine, so there must be something amiss with system that lets the key turn the release lever on and off. Guess I need to take off exterior center trim piece to see what is going on.

Definitely happy with the part though and will install it once I have sorted my other issue Thanks again for making it!
Glad it arrived safely. Bummer the fix for yours seems to involve the mechanism in that center trim area. You have to pull off a few extra layers to get in there, unfortunately. Let me know what you find out!