3D Printed Supra Parts

Nick M

Established 1994
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Yeah, a rocker panel switch that matches the fog lamp and defroster switch.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Yeah, a rocker panel switch that matches the fog lamp and defroster switch.
Hmm.... I could get the shape, but matching the OEM texture of polished plastic would require molded parts or some clever overlay. I'll keep it in mind though. I do love the feel of those factory switches.

spooln6cyl

Authorized Seller
This is cool stuff. The gauge cluster adapter is a great idea and I am soon to be in the market for adding a new boost gauge. Keep up the good work

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Have you tried printing with the new hi def plastic? http://www.shapeways.com/materials/high-definition-acrylate?li=nav

Surface finish looks nicer than the strong & flexible black, but it is more expensive.
I have! I tried a few parts. The plastic has an awesome, super fine finish, but there is a huge caveat.... One side will have the support dimples and they are very ugly and near impossible to blend in to the rest of the finish on smooth parts.

It's nice because it allows a lot of detail, but the variability in the ugliness was a no-go for me. The nylon parts they offer ("Strong and Flexible Plastic") have enough detail and resolution with better strength and more consistency in printing so I stick with that. Not to mention, it's cheaper!

woggin

Authorized Seller
here is something i quickly fabbed up for my car, i came up with a few diff designs, nothing special or fancy, or even good...

dusted off the printer, it needs some recalibration and some tweaking,

needed some software tweaking after the first print (top in pic) and after some quick tweaking the result was better, but still needs a bit more (ran out of time to do the print itself)

(dont mind the scratches in the desk, the animals at work dont look after anything)
surface finish is ok, but need to clean, lube and recal the printer....250 micron layer height and switching filaments in situ.
Also printed a backing plate so the front and rear get glued together and it gets bolted to the car as per factory

would love to get the stl from tylerjacobsen85 from his rapid prototype of the badge
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...totyping-Front-quot-2.5-TWIN-turbo-quot-badge

just to print one for my car.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Very Cool woggin!

I have the MK3 text saved somewhere as a font. I think that would allow you to use it in SolidWorks and easily create those badges. Eventually I'll make one for my car with some clever name.

250 micron layers seems pretty good, but I'm not sure what typical layer height is with the shapeways stuff. When I printed some Titanium stuff it was 20 or 30 microns depending on the print settings, but the features weren't as consistent once you got down to 200 microns or so.

I think this is the future of 3D printing, but it's still up in the clouds for pricing. http://carbon3d.com/

Once that comes down to a $10k purchase price (it's currently $40k for an annual lease) I think it will destroy the rest of the commercial printers.

f00g00

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Have you tried the triangular piece that blocks the wind at the mirror disconnect? The ones I have found in the junkyards usually have the posts broken off.

emiliorescigno

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I'm following this thread - and I'm curious if a wideband version of your voltmeter would be possible. Having AFRs displayed in exactly the same way could be really really cool! (And I'd totally buy one)

woggin

Authorized Seller

tada, needs further refinement, and i took it to work since i ran outta time and sanded the surface flat, ive also made a few mods to the stl to do a few different prints with it!

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Have you tried the triangular piece that blocks the wind at the mirror disconnect? The ones I have found in the junkyards usually have the posts broken off.

Actually, that triangle printed with a tweeter mount integrated would be pretty sweet. Might try modeling that.
I like these ideas! I could totally make those!

I'm following this thread - and I'm curious if a wideband version of your voltmeter would be possible. Having AFRs displayed in exactly the same way could be really really cool! (And I'd totally buy one)
Possible, absolutely! However, space is VERY limited in that voltmeter. to avoid any modification to the bezel and make it 100% drop in, plug and play, I'm dealing with very thin walls and an extremely tight fit. I would likely have to get a plain 7 segment display to act as a readout with the wideband brains remotely mounted. Doable, for sure, but I'd need some help with the electronics programming side of things.

If someone has that skillset, maybe we can combine powers and make a neat wideband offering... ;)

tada, needs further refinement, and i took it to work since i ran outta time and sanded the surface flat, ive also made a few mods to the stl to do a few different prints with it!
Cool!

I would definitely be interested in the door lock bezels if you had any success with them.
Door lock bezels, absolutely! I'll put that on my short list.

GC89

BoostRodeo
Authorized Seller
Contributor
If you get those badges dialed in and are willing to do a 3.0GT or 3.0i I would definitely take one.

If you could do a custom 3.0twin turbo I'd love that as well for my future project.

woggin

Authorized Seller
so I got some dimensions for the backing plate, printed that out, and then abs/acetone welded the 2 halves together, not overly happy because well, as you can see, it looks funky with the gloss and matte, but its been on the car for over a week, looks ok from a couple meters away, but ill be doing another print this weekend that will fix this issue.

all i did was sand the text flat with some 400grit, sand the back and the front of the backing plate, and then fixed them together.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Authorized Seller
3d printed arm rests for the doors... mine broke haha but I guess some vinyl glued over would fix it... but being harder would be a plus. complete door inset would be cool vinyl/3d print mix

GC89

BoostRodeo
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Those look good, now if you can combine those and make me a 3.0 twin turbo. Or 7M twin turbo :)

destrux

Authorized Seller
I can think of a few parts...

The very unique white nylon retainer clips that hold the upper strip of rear hatch glass trim in place, and the similar clips on the lower rear glass trim. Both have plastic "spring" legs that snap off when the clips are aged. Almost all of mine are broken. I'm holding those trim strips on with RTV and a prayer. AFAIK these clips are discontinued and no aftermarket clips exist.

Also, the push in clips that hold the side belt trim on for 89+ cars. Can't buy them separately from Toyota and most sets of used trim are either missing them or half are broken.

I figure trim clips should be pretty easy since you don't have to worry about finish just that they're dimensionally correct.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
I can think of a few parts...

The very unique white nylon retainer clips that hold the upper strip of rear hatch glass trim in place, and the similar clips on the lower rear glass trim. Both have plastic "spring" legs that snap off when the clips are aged. Almost all of mine are broken. I'm holding those trim strips on with RTV and a prayer. AFAIK these clips are discontinued and no aftermarket clips exist.

Also, the push in clips that hold the side belt trim on for 89+ cars. Can't buy them separately from Toyota and most sets of used trim are either missing them or half are broken.

I figure trim clips should be pretty easy since you don't have to worry about finish just that they're dimensionally correct.
Good idea, thanks. The clips I made for the cargo cover have been great. I'll jump on those once I get settled in my new house - another month or so.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Long overdue update:

New Development:

I'm making a modified hatch cable release bracket that connects the two halves of the hatch cable. In my two recent cars the cables have been stretched and the release either barely or didn't work. My revised block replaces the factory block with a similar form that is just a little longer. I'll offer it in two lengths to accommodate different levels of stretched cable. It should be a great drop in upgrade/fix since the cables themselves are both difficult to replace and discontinued. No pics now, but stay tuned. I have first round prototype in hand and round two coming up soon.

SVM Voltmeter: I still offer this. Have sold around 10. All feedback has been positive, but I don't hear from most buyers. I assume that's a good thing.

Cargo Clips: Haven't offered for sale yet, but I do have a couple sitting in my inventory.

Stealth Switch: Sold a few, have one in inventory. I'd like to try clear coating this. I think it'll look a little cleaner with a simple coat of clear.

This would be cool I’ve been looking for rain deflectors for my mk3 and I haven’t found any ok any type of selling platform would be cool if you could print them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
This would be cool I’ve been looking for rain deflectors for my mk3 and I haven’t found any ok any type of selling platform would be cool if you could print them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Printing would be expensive for the real parts, but that's a perfect application for printing a mold for carbon fiber!

That's the next venture I want to explore: Carbon Fiber parts made with printed molds.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Do you think you'd still make the adapters for aftermarket gauges to fit in the stock cluster?
I'd like to, but honestly it's fallen down my priority list. If there was real demand for it, I'd make it a priority. I think I could put together a kit for ~$100-150 that would offer a factory-grade placement option. I've recently been working with plastics with a far better appearance than my initial parts shown here. It's possible now to have ZERO step lines and produce a part with either a matte or glossy finish that nobody could tell was 3D printed without a microscope or macro photo lens.

My guess is there are a handful of people that would buy the kit. It would probably take 10-25 hours of development and I'd only have a ~50% margin at best so it's just tough to make that labor and financial investment right now. If there are 50 buyers I'd do it this weekend.

I also lost my test cluster in my last move, so I think I need another gauge cluster. As dumb as it sounds I can't remember if I bought another cluster to mess with. Too much going on lately...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
To chime in, I think just about every Mk3 I've ever seen is missing at least one of the door lock bezels. I believe the retaining clips on the back side fall off inside the panel or otherwise break. Was just gonna glue mine on, as there's nothing structural there, but I'd be happy to buy a set that actually work as intended.

I'd also be happy to buy a nice looking set of kick panels. The mounting tabs on mine are crap, so they don't like to stay in place. I like the back lighted LED idea, would be fun, but the only good way I can think to make it work would be to tap into the courtesy lights' wiring.

If I come up with any ideas that 3d printing would be suitable for, I'll let you know.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Thread revival! I'm re-focusing my efforts on the mk3 again! I've got a bad-ass MarkForged printer in house and can print materials near or exceeding aluminum strength with CNC precision. The material is chopped carbon fiber composite with continuous fibers of fiberglass used within the print where practical. I'm very excited to have these capabilities in house, especially as so many OEM parts are now gone forever or GROSSLY overpriced when they pop up on facebook or ebay.

Check out the first new release: Cargo Cover Clips
https://store.yotamd.com/collections/mk3-supra-parts/products/cargo-cover-clip-sold-as-pair

I toyed around with some prototypes a long while back, but never got too excited since I knew the regular old nylon material would be prone to deformation over time. These new versions are reinforced with fiberglass and have the durability and strength required.

Cargo-Clip-1-Proto-X1.jpg DSC_00401080.jpg DSC_004810801080.jpg DSC_00071080.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Sweet. If you ever get around to making the mirror tabs I'll be first in line. I've epoxied mine a few times but it never holds.
Mirror tabs as in the tab within the side mirror that allows the mirror glass to vibrate as you drive?

make door lock bezels. You will sell a ton of them.
I’ll see what I can do. One of mine is actually broken so that’s a great idea.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Mirror tabs as in the tab within the side mirror that allows the mirror glass to vibrate as you drive?
Yes, exactly.

I am a bit confused about the door lock bezels. Those detach because the metal clip breaks. The clips used to available from Toyota for next to nothing. I am guessing they are discontinued, but I'm not seeing the connection to 3D printing for the bezels.

1552500383668.png

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Yes, exactly.

I am a bit confused about the door lock bezels. Those detach because the metal clip breaks. The clips used to available from Toyota for next to nothing. I am guessing they are discontinued, but I'm not seeing the connection to 3D printing for the bezels.

View attachment 81724
Ok, good to know on the mirror. I took mine apart a while back, but the broken piece seemed complex enough to swap out that I left it alone. I'll revisit and see exactly what's in there.

Lock bezel: I was thinking I'd either print revised and improved metal clips or print the whole bezel.

Printing the whole bezel would result in an odd visual appearance without some post processing though. My printer is as good as it gets for FDM printing, but it's still FDM - layer lines are unavoidable. I'm open to suggestions on how to approach it.

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
These are the clips needed. If people understood how to remove the bezel there would be no issue. You need to push it in and slide to the rear to release the bezel. If you just yank on it or use a trim tool the metal tab will bend or break.

1552501216255.png
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=6703&P=1

They seem to still be listed by many sites, but I have not tried ot order them in years. If they used them on other models they may still be available.

There was actually a TSB on them.

Toyota service bulletin: REMOVAL OF DOOR LOCK BEZEL

removal of front clip:
(1) push the front of the bezel back to the rear with your hand
(2) lightly pull the bezel away from the door

removal of rear clip:
(1) move the bezel toward the front of the vehicle and pull out

Last edited:

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
I ordered those clips from Toyota maybe...3-4 years ago.
They were all still available then.

Don't know if they are anymore.