30 mpg

Nick M

Established 1994
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Technically, I did 29.9 mpg at 75 or so. Get yourself an A340E and 3.73's today. And fix all your tuning issues you created by trimming the airflow signal. Well, you have to do it a little. Yes, 29.9 mpg. I wonder what it would do at 65 mph...

A340.jpg

Last edited:

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Authorized Seller
i averaged 23.5 on the way to and from the the last suprasport meet. bone stock 91 turbo auto.

that was cruzing at 85

Grandavi

Authorized Seller
There is a turbo issue with poorly tuned engines I believe whereas the engine will go rich between shifts if I understand my car correctly.. and then... because its a Supra.. I have to have the boost maxed all the time.. I generally get around 15-18 mpg.. but the car will do well on the highway with cruise on if I just tell myself that its okay to be passed even if I am in a MKIII...

I have yet to successfully do that mind you...

Nick M

Established 1994
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I been getting 12-13, But i cant keep my foot out of the throttle.
This.... leads to the following.

Four words: open loop lean cruise...
Between Vegas and Albuquerque the milage wasn't as good. Lots of hill climing and taking cruise control off. I did 24 mpg on that stretch.

Sorry didn't catch Auto 1st time i read.

So if your for MPG A340E>R154 .. no matter how slow i drive the max MPG i could get is 18 MPG but id be driving like a grandma.. LITERALLY!
Your owners manual says "avoid jack rabbit starts. Do you know what that means? The A340E has .70 overdrive. The R154 is .75. That helps with cruise.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Best mileage I've ever seen is the stretch of highway between Nevada, Arizona, and Utah, on I-15, you cross over all three around the Virgin River Canyon area. Something magical about this place, it's quite encouraging to put the foot down, yet I've still averaged 28-30mpg through that section, somehow...

The auto does help those who have them, with mileage, at least on the highway. :)

Nick M

Established 1994
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I also have a SIP 3000 stall converter and 28 inch tall rears. I'm also never on the highway.
I was just explaining it to those that need it explained to them, not you chunks. :) I will get the stock unit redone when I get the IPT unit.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I was just explaining it to those that need it explained to them, not you chunks. :) I will get the stock unit redone when I get the IPT unit.
:biglaugh: You numbers are still very impressive, if i could get into the high teens maybe low 20's id be quite happy.

Though my 93 corolla gets 31-33 every tank. I love that car.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I just calculated the mileage on my 92, I'm getting 14.01 miles per gallon. I never do any freeway driving though, and today I changed my tires back to stock size, and started using 5th on the street at 40mph, and I'm at 1700 rpms, we'll see what that does for mileage...

D.J.T.

Authorized Seller
I always 5th gear it. its the only way to use a full tank in two weeks sometimes i have to pump before the 2nd week is over.. fill full tank = about $55+

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Wow, that is awesome MPG. I was surprised I got 20.5 mpg the last tank I ran threw the sup. It was a combo of driving, (city, highway, back roads, "acceleration testing" ) . But at 29.9, mine doesn't come into play .

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
I just calculated the mileage on my 92, I'm getting 14.01 miles per gallon. I never do any freeway driving though, and today I changed my tires back to stock size, and started using 5th on the street at 40mph, and I'm at 1700 rpms, we'll see what that does for mileage...
Would be curious to know what that does for things, please update when you can? I usually cruise around town in 3rd, but we have ~35mph limits most places around here.

That said, raise your hand if you bought your car for the mileage...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Will do, a tank of gas usually lasts me a little less than a month as I mainly only drive to work and back in the early morning, so there's less stop and go and less red lights..

I go through a tank of gas every 4-5 days.. Getting about 240 Miles to a tank combined city/highway.. Last highway trip I made I was getting 302 to a tank and putting in close to 17 gallons.. I was NA at that time and on the throttle a lot getting up steep grades on the way into northern Cali.

Nick M

Established 1994
Authorized Seller
Contributor
That said, raise your hand if you bought your car for the mileage...
Raise your hand if you think $4.15 a gallon or so is cool knowing our supply is huge, and we won't harvest it to keep energy prices high.

Nick M

Established 1994
Authorized Seller
Contributor
No raised hand here but gas was 90 cents/gal when I bought my car...
I remember when my older brother was 16. It was about 65 cents on the low end. Speaking of which, the Yukon needs to be filled. There goes $90 never to be seen again.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Authorized Seller
Contributor
When I was 16 it was 25 cents. Took 16 more years to break one buck. And you're breaking my heart about the Yukon. The plane costs $2k to fill and that's without using the drop tanks...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Authorized Seller
Contributor
When I was 16 it was 25 cents. Took 16 more years to break one buck. And you're breaking my heart about the Yukon. The plane costs $2k to fill and that's without using the drop tanks...
Damn I remember this also....

I had a 75cc Honda that had a 4 litre tank it used to cost around the 20c mark to fill and I could ride all day!
(I was of course a LOT younger than 16 though ;) )

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Authorized Seller
i remeber in august 2010 it cost me $35 to fill up

i get about 25-28mpg

1 time i drove to lax from merced, ca made it to oitskirts of fresno,ca on 1 tank i was at450 miles. thats going over grapvine twice lol..

i heard 1js getupwards to32-35 mpg

Nick M

Established 1994
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Gas had an average price of $1.81 when Obama signed executive orders (jan 09) forbidding oil exploration and removal in the US. Then the speculators started again. Like the pompus ass said, go buy a Chevy Volt from him (GM).

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Raise your hand if you think $4.15 a gallon or so is cool knowing our supply is huge, and we won't harvest it to keep energy prices high.
I have a hard time being angry at high energy prices, being a supplier for the industry, but at the same time, I'd be a lot less angry if gas was at a reasonable post-Bush, pre-Obama-insanity rate.

The plane costs $2k to fill and that's without using the drop tanks...
Never asked, but I didn't know you had your own plane... private pilot?

Gas had an average price of $1.81 when Obama signed executive orders (jan 09) forbidding oil exploration and removal in the US. Then the speculators started again. Like the pompus ass said, go buy a Chevy Volt from him (GM).
I'll be the first to follow that twat when he buys himself an *armored* vehicle that gets better than 30mpg.

VegaSupra

Authorized Seller
I always got around 18mpg on 92 oct here in SoCal (now it's 91 oct). One time I got 20.5 mpg on a trip to Vegas but that was at about 85mph the whole way with several bursts of turbo.

25, 28, 30+!! mpg??? never saw anything like that, even driving like a granny for almost a whole tank. Maybe I will with with my new Supra!

carter

"The Ninja"
Authorized Seller
If i drove my supra like a grandpa, short shifting, no positive boost, I believe i broke 28 mpg

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
if you want to bitch about gas prices, come to Victoria BC Canada. Might not compare to Europe, but damn high for North America.

Gas station down the street (in reality, EVERY gas station in Victoria is the SAME price, no competition) has regular (87 octane) for $1.319 per L. Convert that to US gal, its $4.99 per US gallon. add in the exchange, and it is US$5.20/gallon for regular. Premium (91 octane) is US$5.76/gallon.

Makes me want to buy a new Focus or something as a DD.