2jzgte vvti Mk3 Temperature

1JMike

Authorized Seller
What's going on guys.

I wanted to see if anyone had ran into the same issue I am running into.

I just finished my 2jz vvti swap into my 89 chassis. I am using a tweaked performance harness and a 2j Temp sender. From initial cold start the engine temp starts rising, within a minute or less the temp is right about half way on the gauge and maintains (radiator and hoses are still cold to the touch still at this point). I drove the car and the temp begins to rise and reached about 3/4 up on the gauge.

Could it be a bad sender and maybe I need to us a 7m sender somehow.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Did you replace the sensor?,

Double check the wiring up to the m1 plug from sensor.

If the wiring is good it’s prolly either the sensor or the gauge.

1JMike

Authorized Seller
It is a new sensor but not OEM. I'm planning to get an OEM sensor maybe there is a difference in the resistance. I am also going to change out the thermostat. Should have some time on the weekend to change them out and see if it helps.

I checked the wiring and the when it first happened and everything looks good in the plug.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
For sure swap to oem sensor. But

You may have to swap to like a 1jz sensor. I vaguely remember maybe one of the sensors were different.

Kristian_Wraae

Authorized Seller
I have a jza80 temp sender and it shows the correct temperature on the mk3 cluster. Are you sure that you thermostat is working correctly? Waterpump?

1JMike

Authorized Seller
I got the OEM sender and car gauge is working normal again. Temperature raises slowly up to operating temp, ran the car for a few miles this afternoon and no overheating issues or anything.