2jzgte swap, vvti or non vvti opinions?

zachm611

Slowly getting there...
Authorized Seller
I've been gone from the forums for a few years now as life happened, birth of my daughter, I joined the Army, bought my first house. So the Supra has been sitting in my dad's barn...
Now that my daughter will soon be going to school, the wife will start work soon and I will be back from deployment soon, I'm planning on finally reviving the Supra. I apologise if this has been gone over numerous times but I see a lot of threads are older and times change regarding tuning, price and availability etc.
So here goes, I'm currently in the market for a 2jzgte. Question is... Should I get a vvti engine or non vvti and why? What are the pros and cons of either. Is there anything that will make me think later on "I should have just went with this engine over that one?"
Price really isn't an issue for me right now as I've managed to save up a bit of money but is it worth it to spend the extra $1300+ on a non vvti engine?
Sorry for the long read but thanks in advance!

supranaut

Rock'n Death with Spikes
Authorized Seller
VVTi for the win. Better low end torque. When they came out no one knew how to tune them but now thats a different story!

mkIIIman089

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Pro: Better low rpm efficiency (power) , which compounds in helping spool up turbos earlier.

Maybe a con depending on what your plan is, compared to a much more expensive one from a US Supra, they'll all have the ceramic turbine wheels the internet doesn't like.

I don't think there's any reason to go out of your way to get a non vvti. Mine has been great, no issues with its function at all and gives me another cal aspect to tinker with.

zachm611

Slowly getting there...
Authorized Seller
I'm assuming you have a vvti? What ems are you running?

oldmansupra

Authorized Seller
I just finished my 2JZ-GTE vvti swap into a mkiii supra so if you are looking for information on that let me know! I may post a thread soon detailing the work I did to make it work.

zachm611

Slowly getting there...
Authorized Seller
I just finished my 2JZ-GTE vvti swap into a mkiii supra so if you are looking for information on that let me know! I may post a thread soon detailing the work I did to make it work.
Of course I'd like information haha anything you have I will take it! Thanks a lot I really appreciate it! I won't really be able to do anything with it for a few more months but I'm trying to be as ready as possible for when I come back.

zachm611

Slowly getting there...
Authorized Seller
2jzgte vvti has been ordered and scheduled to arrive at my dad's house next Tuesday! Only few more months until I get home and can start working on the swap!

zachm611

Slowly getting there...
Authorized Seller
Just "finished" our swap with a vvti 2jz as well... updates on the project?
Hey. . I actually haven't started yet haha. I should be home from this deployment within the next couple months. I'm so ready to go home lol.

VictorN01

Authorized Seller
Runs very good!! Need to install the piggyback... the engine itself is mechanically sound. About 60k on it. Went with a precision 6266, few other mods.