2JZGTE MKIII Swap Info

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Authorized Seller
I believe it is a valve to assit power steering while in idle. This is introduced into many toyota vehicles during the early 80's (Toyota pickups, 4runners, camry, ect). This can be totally removed, but there might be certain weird idle changes. This can occur, but not a big problem8

89supraa

Authorized Seller
So in the end how much did all of the stuff needed to do the swap cost??I am very interested in doing this swap and want to know how much i need to save up.I also want to keep it twin turbo. And does the mk3 r154 tranny bolt up to it or do i have to get the mk4 r154?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Authorized Seller
Contributor
So in the end how much did all of the stuff needed to do the swap cost??I am very interested in doing this swap and want to know how much i need to save up.I also want to keep it twin turbo. And does the mk3 r154 tranny bolt up to it or do i have to get the mk4 r154?
there is no MKIV r154 just a non turbo w58 and a getrag 6 speed. you use the 1jz r154 bellhousing to mate it to the 2jz. if you want an idea check out my build page, any questions just ask ;)

FamousLad

Authorized Seller
I am also doing a 2jz swap in a mk3 88. I got everything in and all, it cranks but wont come on and stay on. What think i should do?

carmasupra

Authorized Seller
wow guys this is an amazing thread here and i defo cant wait to do this now :D altho getting a 2j in glasgow isn't going to be easy lol

Flateric

Authorized Seller
Guys, if I may suggest something to ya....... You should read the stickied "How to ask questions thread....."

And I think also you really should start your own thread for these sorts of questions. They just are not going to work here in the "General"(ish) MKIII 2JZ swap thread because very quickly everyones questions will get lost in the noise of everyone else's questions all within the same thread. If ten people are all asking different questions all in the same thread and some are being addressed it will make it not only a difficult read but also confusing to whom the answers are addressed.

Lastly, you really need to give a little more background on some questions....what you have tried......what has been done to the car..........what has produced any type of result.....basically details.

It's really hard to even know where to begin if just as an example the question is something like "I put a 2j in my car, it doesn't start, how do I fix it" The possibilities for helpful suggestions are just insanely huge with only that to work from.

Again, not slaming anyone, just suggesting how you may get better results to your questions. The people here are truely great, but remember they don't have to do or help you with anything, no-one is paying them to answer anything. So if your question makes it far too much work to find an answer too because you provide little details and background then more than likely your psost will be ignored by the very people you need the help from the most.

Hope this helps you guys get your projects going, you'll find that everyone here for the most part wants to help you out a get another fine supra on the road.

I am also doing a 2jz swap in a mk3 88. I got everything in and all, it cranks but wont come on and stay on. What think i should do?
Spark, fuel, air... If the car is a JDM then leave the intake open and there should be no problem with air. Pull a plug and coil pack and see if your getting any spark if not there is an issue with your ignition. Ignition is quite easy the inputs for ignition are the 2 cam position sensors and the 1 crank position sensor if the ecu does not see all 3 inputs there will be an issue with the outputs to each of the 6 ignition coils. Fuel can be a few things: is your fuel pump running and is there fuel in the rail? Even if there is you must check for fuel pressure and ensure that it is within spec.

For the most part it will be something electronic.

AJK

Authorized Seller
Spark, fuel, air... If the car is a JDM then leave the intake open and there should be no problem with air. Pull a plug and coil pack and see if your getting any spark if not there is an issue with your ignition. Ignition is quite easy the inputs for ignition are the 2 cam position sensors and the 1 crank position sensor if the ecu does not see all 3 inputs there will be an issue with the outputs to each of the 6 ignition coils. Fuel can be a few things: is your fuel pump running and is there fuel in the rail? Even if there is you must check for fuel pressure and ensure that it is within spec.

For the most part it will be something electronic.
If all that checks out and still no start, check that timing marks line up. If they do and still no start, run a compression test.

ogre

Car Junkie
Authorized Seller
Please add part numbers to first post if possible

31111-14111 - 1jz/2jz bellhousing also known as clutch housing works with r154
13405-46030 - 1jzgte/2jzgte toyota factory flywheel works with r154
78180-1B090 - 2jzgte supra mk4 accelerator cable

Does anyone have the OEM part numbers for the , or the toyota oem part number for the 8 flywheel to crank bolts , or the toyota oem bellhousing to engine bolts?

Also if you guys want a cheap alternative for getting a rear sump pan , get one off a sc300 or a mkiv supra non-turbo , the oil return will need to be drilled out along with the 2 m8x1.25 bolt holes that need to be tapped but the embossments are already there you just have to cut in the lines...

Last edited:

Flateric

Authorized Seller
The only way you could retian tract control is if you got the traction control CPU as well as the ECU with your motor. Oh wait then you would also have to somehow transfer the independant rear wheel speed sensors and front too, as our cars use a single channel for the rear antilocks that is not compatible with what the 2j signalling.

LOL, ok, so not really no, it would be a massive hassle anyways.

But I for one would be impressed all to hell and back if you do pull it off. I say go for it and do a real nice write-up for the rest of us to be forever grateful for if you are in fact successful.

AJK

Authorized Seller
Where do I run the vacuum lines from the charcoal canister to the motor if I were to keep the charcoal canister? It should be kept to avoid fuel pump cavitation, correct? This is all for a 1988 Canadian spec mk3 with a 1992 Aristo 2JZGTE

Thanks for any help!

TweeT91109

Authorized Seller
Ok I have a quick question....I have the 2JZ-GE out of a IS300.....with its auto tranny...but i'm going to mate my R154....so im putting a 2JZ-GE M/T ECU on the harness...anyone know if this is going to work?

boostedsupra87

Authorized Seller
very good info guys i understand everything but ONE thing and i hope you guys can answer this question for me,when doin the swap why mate the 7m harness to the 2j harness?? if you get the 2j with uncut harness and ecu cant you just take out the 7m ecu and harness and put in the 2j ecu and run the harness through the same place? idk i might sound dumb:3d_frown: but i just dont get it and im goin through with the swap and thats the only thing holding me back, thanks in advance guys:icon_bigg

Kristian_Wraae

Authorized Seller
It depends on if the engine is from a LDH or a RHD drive car. The RHD carshave much shorter harnesses since the ECU is behind the glovebox and that is situatiated in the left hand side on RHD cars.

I have a question regarding this plug on the Aristo 2JZGTE harness:

The plug with the white thing in it. What is it for?

Hansito

Authorized Seller
someone told me i could drop the 2jz non turbo, and i could use the injectors and both manifolds exhaust and intake from my 7mgte i think and that if i cut a piece of my cam shaft connector i could use the wiring harness and ecu from my 7mgte, and is it possible to use my 7mgte trans, i read that i would have to change the bell houseing to the 1jz but not sure if it was for my trans or not, sorry if its a noob question just wanted to know if the info i was getin was to good to be true.

Kristian_Wraae

Authorized Seller
Any way of keeping ABS if I use the MKIV automatic transmission?

It doesn't have the same rear speed sensor as the stock mkIII transmissions

aznboik1mva

Authorized Seller
someone told me i could drop the 2jz non turbo, and i could use the injectors and both manifolds exhaust and intake from my 7mgte i think and that if i cut a piece of my cam shaft connector i could use the wiring harness and ecu from my 7mgte, and is it possible to use my 7mgte trans, i read that i would have to change the bell houseing to the 1jz but not sure if it was for my trans or not, sorry if its a noob question just wanted to know if the info i was getin was to good to be true.
read here it will tell u everything you need to know http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?63998-2jzge-T-swap-notes-and-pricelists

panda

Authorized Seller
i have a question about this swap.....Soo im planing to get a 2jzge and hoping to keep it auto by using my 7mge tranny.....can this be done? if soo what bell housing do i need? and can i be able to use my 7mge drive shaft as well?

Kristian_Wraae

Authorized Seller
Seems like the best solution is to get the 2jzge autotransmission and swap the rear housing.

For the GTE guys I found this: http://www.supras.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=52

Don't know if it'll work.

I have almost finished my 2JZ-GTE auto swap using the JZA80 automatic transmission and a custom driveshaft. Just have to have a bracket made for the ABS sensor. But if I had seen the above link earlier I might have gone that way.

sammy

Authorized Seller
Super helpful. Ive got a 90 manual supra and my mechanic buddy is helping me put in a 2JZGE auto right hand drive engine. Trying to keep it standard and was wondering if it will work to get a bellhousing and flywheel that will mate the R154 trans with the 2JZGE engine?? Someone suggested a w54 trans but it looks like a lot of work to the driveshaft etc and if I could use my orginal trans wouldnt that be the best option?? I know virtually nothing about cars but love my supra and need help!! Weve had this 2JZGE engine for almost a year and Im sick and tired of looking at my supra sitting in the garage!!! Thanks!
Samantha

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Authorized Seller
Contributor
For you to use the R154 you will need to get a 1jz bell housing and flywheel which are about $750 from Driftmotion.com. I would only use these if you plan to turbo the motor in the future. On the other hand it is easier to get a hold of a W58 bell housing in a junkyard. I would go this route if you plan on not turboing the car because they will handle up to 350 hp and you wont make that on a normal 2jzge. You would then look for a non turbo drive shaft and it should work without modification. It is the R154 that has the more expensive parts because they are designed for the turbo cars to handle more power. The w58 is what you have in the car now so all you would need is a w58 to 2jz bell housing and everything else should work. I attached a link if you want to buy one new. Good luck.

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jz2jzw58bellhousing.php

sammy

Authorized Seller
So I shouldve mentioned that my car was a turbo so I have the R154 trans already....
Itll be awesome to have the ability to throw a turbo on it..
Thanks so much

19907mgte

Authorized Seller
i about to buy a 2jzgte complete engine with automatic tranny from supra store i have a 90 supra turbo auto what all do i need to find out from them to see if it will be compatible swap and not need to change out a lot of things on it ? enlighten me please...
thanks

Kristian_Wraae

Authorized Seller
You'll need a custom driveshaft and and you need to figure out the ABS if you have ABS (can be done with a bracket and by grafting the pick up wheel to the driveshaft flange). The mkIV also doesn't have speedometer drive so you need either an electronic speedometer or a electronic to mechanic speedo converter like the cable-x.

I've done the swap. PM me if you need more information.

JCFsupraman

Authorized Seller
I have an Aristo 2jzgte motor installed in my '89 supra turbo and want to keep my 7mgte built a340e automatic transmission and shaftmaster 1 piece aluminum 7m driveshaft. I have everything else needed like: rear sump kit, dual intank fuel pumps, 750cc's, GT-35R, motor mounts, fuel rail & lines, FMIC, Haltech PS2k, IQ3 display already installed. So all we need to do is decide how to make the motor, auto trans and torque converter play nice together and then finish off the FMIC piping.

If you have the same set up in your mk3 what did you do?

I'm thinking I could go with a 1jzgte auto bellhousing which should allow us to keep the 7m a340e tc and the built 7m a340e and shaftmaster DS from the 7m. Is that correct?

OR go with a 3300 stall Titan 2jz TC with the 2jzgte bellhousing but would need to modify the TC somehow or modify something to make the a340e & DS fit since the input shaft's are different between the two transmissions. We tried fitting the 2jz torque converter that came with the Aristo 2jzgte engine set and it will not fit the 7m a340e transmission.

I've read the entire thread and other than Kristian_Wraae's NL link about opening up the 2 trannys and putting them together as one, which has yet to be proven to work, there is no other post regarding this.

Kristian_Wraae

Authorized Seller
I simply kept the JZA80 transmission. I only needed a custom driveshaft and grafted the ABS trigger wheel from inside the 7M autotrans to the driveshaft flange on the JZA80 autotransmission and made a bracket for the ABS sensor. Then I used the cable-x electric to mechanical speedoconverter to get the stock speedometer working. The bonus is that the ECU will control the transmission so you don't need a dedicated gearbox controller.

JCFsupraman

Authorized Seller
So you're telling me that I didn't need the Suprastick controller from Latent Solutions since the Haltech will control the transmission?

And my Shaftmaster aluminum 1 pc. 7m drive shaft has to go too?

And the 7m a340e that cost me couple grand to have built which can now hold up to 1,000 hp I should not use and just pick a couple pieces out of it?

Hmmmmm.....let me run this by my buddy whose doing the work for me but I don't like the sounds of it so far...lol

Kristian_Wraae

Authorized Seller
I don't think the Haltech will run the transmission. I'm saying that I just used the JZA80 2JZ-GTE together with the JZA80 transmission and had the stock ECU control both. Less hassel that way. It is also a better transmission. Much smoother.

But you could use the AEM JZA80 ECU and control both the engine and the transmission. If you use the JZA80 transmission you can't use the suprastick controller. You'd need something like the PCS transmission controller.

But I think you'll be able to run the stock 7M auto trans together with the 2JZ. You just need the correct combination of flex plate, bell housing and converter. Maybe try to see if the JZA70 auto transmission could donor the flex plate, bell housing and torque converter. There is a thread here somewhere of someone using the JZA70 transmission on the 7MGTE. Maybe it'll be of help.

COOKS87TTOPSUPRA

Authorized Seller
do you have to do a rear sump conversion if ur doin the swap in a 87 mkiii i just bought my motor today out off a 1993 lexus gs300 n/a im gonna turbo it but i just nbeed to know do i have to do the sump conversion or can i leave it front sump and can i use a auto bellhousing with my w58 trans or do i have to get a 2jz bellhousing and i bought my 2jzgte flywheel from rps off of ebay today i just want to know what all ill need for swap thanks

kneedragger85

Authorized Seller
do you have to do a rear sump conversion if ur doin the swap in a 87 mkiii i just bought my motor today out off a 1993 lexus gs300 n/a im gonna turbo it but i just nbeed to know do i have to do the sump conversion or can i leave it front sump and can i use a auto bellhousing with my w58 trans or do i have to get a 2jz bellhousing and i bought my 2jzgte flywheel from rps off of ebay today i just want to know what all ill need for swap thanks
Yes you need a rear sump conversion if you're dropping it into a Supra because your steering rack/crossmember is in the way of the front sump. You need to get a JZ W58 bellhousing and W58 (non-turbo MKIV supra) flywheel if you want to use your W58 transmission. If the flywheel you bought is off a 2JZ-GTE Supra, then it's worthless unless you buy a getrag v160/161 6-speed transmission (used go for over $3,500.00).