2JZGTE into '88 Mk3 ECU, wiring, turbo, and injector options

Hey everybody, I'm new here, and still new to the supra community (I've owned a supra for a total of around 3 months, sooooo VERY new still). I'm currently working on fixing up the interior and some other issues on my supra (bought as a rolling chassis, no engine or tranny, was a 5spd turbo). I'm getting close to being done, and am trying to get things rolling for the engine swap. My hope is to make around 500-600hp (anywhere in there would be great with me). I still don't know much about what size injector I'm gonna need, and what turbo is recommended. I would like to go slightly bigger than I need with both, as I don't want to make the power I want, and decide I want more, then have to redo the fuel/air system. My plan so far is to install the Walbro kit from Driftmotion, go with a garret or precision turbo, and fuel injector clinic injectors. Not much of a plan, I know, but I've got to start somewhere. What size turbo do ya'll think would be best? Also, what size injectors would be enough, and still have room for a bit more power? After that, I get to the ECU. I've heard fuel cut hits at around 14-ish lbs of boost. I'm not sure exactly how much i'll be making, but I guess that much, or maybe a bit more. If so, would it be best to go standalone from the beginning? I was going to send my engine harness to tweak'd performance, and get the plugs ready for the 2J engine. I've heard of people doing this in the past, but instead they would send both engine harnesses, and they would combine them. The listing on the tweak'd says that they make a completely new harness, and I assume use the ECU plugs from the 7m harness. So I don't need to wait until i get my 2j here to send them the harness? If so, great! I can get the ball rolling on the electrical system, and then get the 2j on it's way. But again on the standalone ECU. It gives me the option on their site, to have them wire the harness for the ECUmaster EMU. I've been looking at the EMU classic (I assume the plugs are the same), and am thinking about just going that route from the get-go, as I know it gives more tune-ability, and the ability to add an ethanol sensor (which would be great, as i have an e-85 station not too far from my house, but far enough I can't always fill up there). Are their any downsides to this besides cost? I figure I might as well do it right the first time, while I already have the car down and out-for-the-count. Would all the gauges still work (I don't care about the stock boost gauge, I'll add another one on the A-pillar later)? Would I have check engine lights/other issues like that? I haven't found much about this online, so I figured I'd just ask here.

I really appreciate the help here everyone. I'm really looking forward to getting this car back running and driving again.

Edit: I've done some looking, and I've seen that 1000CC injectors would be MORE than enough for my power goals (and allow plenty of room for............upgrades! So I think I'll spend the money and go with them, still looking at a turbo though. How are driftmotion's kits?)

Last edited:
Welp, here is a bump post, and an update. Sent my R154 to DM, and have kinda got my plans worked out. I'm planning on going with their "super single" clutch kit, billet 6262 turbo kit, intercooler kit, 1000cc FIC injectors, and maybe the dual fuel pump hanger, with 2 255LPH Walbros. Can I still use my fuel gauge sending unit with the hanger? . I'm going to be using an ECUmaster EMU black, with a harness from tweak'd performance. Also, what about a boost controller? I'm used to, on truck and tractors, just running wastegate pressure, but I hear controllers can change that. How I understand it is as follows: The controller changes the pressure the wastegate will hold, depending on what you set it at. I've come accross this gauge/controller combo that looks pretty good https://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-4350-Tru-Boost-Controller-Gauge/dp/B001DX9KDG . Will that be adequate?

1. Can this setup hold 5-600hp?
2. Will I need to add a fuel pressure regulator?
3. Will I need to do the 12V pump mod for the Walbro pumps?
4. Are DM parts good quality?
5. Am I missing anything? If so, please let me know, as I'm still very new to my supra, and the swap.

Thanks!

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The fuel gauge sender unit is separate from the fuel pump hanger so this is a big advantage when adding a larger fuel pump or go with multiple fuel pumps.

I am running the ECU Masters classic and originally I bought the Greddy profec B2 to run with it but I returned the profec. I am running a 3 port Mac solenoid and a AEM 12 position switch to control boost and the standalone does that very well. If you are running a piggyback then the profec is a great option but let the standalone do the work for you in your case. Here is how I have mine set up:

1.) I am running the Precision 6262 Turbo and I make 540whp on e85 (450 on pump gas) so your power goal can be achieved but you need the supporting mods to get you there. For example my setup was running low on fuel pressure and the wastegate was also around its limits so if I upgrade both of those items my tuner said I can be over 600whp on e85 with the 6262 turbo but for now I am happy with it just the way it is.

2.) Yes you should add a fuel pressure regulator so you have better control of pressure and it can be adjusted. With your standalone you should also add a fuel pressure sensor to monitor your pressure as a fail-safe. I mounted my regulator and pressure sensor on the firewall where the factory alarm horn goes:

3.) Yes you should do the 12v fuel pump mod. Tyco/Bosch makes a nice 75A relay which is what I run with this mod:

4.) DM seems to be a miss with premade turbo kits from what I have heard others complain about in the past so I avoided buying a turbo kit from them for that reason. I originally was going to buy a DM turbo kit for my 7m but I did not and looked for other options. You can probably put toghether a good kit yourself with the different parts you need for the turbo kit.

5.) There is plenty of swap information on here but as a 7m guy my info is limited on that ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! So what you're saying is, the ECU (EMU Black) should do the controlling for me, I just need a switch if I want different boost levels, at different times. I'm still sorta new to this, so that Mac solenoid is what the switch is controlling directly, or is the switch going to the ECU, then the ECU controlling the solenoid? On the website for Tweak'd performance (who I'm planning on getting a harness from) it shows an option to wire in a connector for a boost control solenoid. If I add that, it should be controlled by the ECU, and I can just run the switch to the ECU (somehow, still gotta figure that wiring out), and it'll change the boost level, correct?

I'll definitely do the regulator and sensor now, as it shouldn't be much extra trouble, just run the hose to the regulator, then to the rail.

When I pull the tank (I'm currently getting up the courage), I'm going to pull the sending unit, and everything else out, clean the tank, and replace with the DM dual hanger, and dual Walbro 255 pumps. Since I'm going that route, will I need to upgrade the fuel lines? Will that relay handle both pumps? Just trying to get my ducks in a row first.

With that, and what else I've heard, I'll skip DM's turbo kit, and put together one of my own, just using their specs, so I don't get one part too big or too small. Have you heard anything about their intercooler kits? I assume there isn't much to mess up, except maybe the BOV, but other than that, should be as simple as piping, and intercooler.

Thanks again for the help! I've been looking at build threads, and am finding more and more info, but it's nice to have it all in one place.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
No problem. Yes the standalone will control the Mac boost solenoid as a output and use the AEM 12 position switch as a input to control it once you configure it this way in the software and this is the best way to control boost with your set up. You do not need to run a AEM switch like mine but I like all the different ranges I have to play with. Some just have a on and off switch for low and high boost which works too.

It is just 3 wires (ground, 5v+ and a signal) for the WHP 0-100 psi pressure sensor I am running.

The stock lines should still support you in the 500whp range but I ran an6 lines from the fuel pump hanger to the fuel rail. One concern I had in this area was the stock fuel filter set up, running a e85 content sensor in the return side and the j-tube restriction, with me running e85 that filter would not cut it anymore. I run a Magna fuel filter and an6 PTFE fuel line (so you do not get fuel smells through the lines like some fuel lines do). I bought 30 feet from this place and they offer very good quality PTFE fuel line and fittings.

http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/stainless-steel-lines/?osCsid=5df71f3061cf96568d7f9ee4511fc85a

On the intercooler kit, I have the 7mGTE one from DM and it is a nice set. I did not use the t-clamps or bov included but I put a real HKS bov with this kit. With the front facing intake on a 2jz you have much more options for intercoolers so you might want to make your own intercooler set up for that vs buying a pre-made kit with piping.

Gotcha... My only worry now is wiring everything in correctly, once it gets here. I'm still a month or 2 away, but I like getting my ducks in a row, before I need them. The only reason I'm looking at the DM kit, is the piping. I don't trust anyone around me to weld aluminum (much less myself), so I'd like to just get premade piping, and the intercooler while I'm at it (I assume their intercooler is fine, if not, I'll get the kit without the intercooler). I'd probably replace the BOV as well, and just run until the clamps go. On the AN6 line, do you mean that you cut a hole in the top of the fuel tank hat (where the hanger goes), and ran into the tank? Or did you connect to the barb at the top? I would think the line from the pump, to the top of the tank would then be the limiting factor there. I'm probably gonna have them wire in a pigtail for the GM ethanol sensor, just in case I add one in the future. Can I leave the return side stock if I go AN6 on the feed? If not, then just run AN6 back to the fuel hat, and then it'll be fine from there? If I understand it, you put your sensor on the return side, how come? Would it restrict flow on the feed side?
I'll definitely keep that site in mind for line. How did you run the line, through the trans tunnel?

Also, who is a good vendor for parts? Like the turbo, wastegate, manifold (besides eBay, althought I'll probably go that route still), etc. I'll probably get the gaskets from DM still, as I'll be ordering a bunch of other stuff from them aswell. I was planning on going with a prescision turbo if I didn't go with DM, as I've heard great things about them.

Again, sorry for the newbie questions, I just wanna learn everything I can NOW so that I (hopefully) don't learn the hard and expensive way later.

Last edited:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Gotcha... My only worry now is wiring everything in correctly, once it gets here. I'm still a month or 2 away, but I like getting my ducks in a row, before I need them. The only reason I'm looking at the DM kit, is the piping. I don't trust anyone around me to weld aluminum (much less myself), so I'd like to just get premade piping, and the intercooler while I'm at it (I assume their intercooler is fine, if not, I'll get the kit without the intercooler). I'd probably replace the BOV as well, and just run until the clamps go. On the AN6 line, do you mean that you cut a hole in the top of the fuel tank hat (where the hanger goes), and ran into the tank? Or did you connect to the barb at the top? I would think the line from the pump, to the top of the tank would then be the limiting factor there. I'm probably gonna have them wire in a pigtail for the GM ethanol sensor, just in case I add one in the future. Can I leave the return side stock if I go AN6 on the feed? If not, then just run AN6 back to the fuel hat, and then it'll be fine from there? If I understand it, you put your sensor on the return side, how come? Would it restrict flow on the feed side?
I'll definitely keep that site in mind for line. How did you run the line, through the trans tunnel?

Also, who is a good vendor for parts? Like the turbo, wastegate, manifold (besides eBay, althought I'll probably go that route still), etc. I'll probably get the gaskets from DM still, as I'll be ordering a bunch of other stuff from them aswell. I was planning on going with a prescision turbo if I didn't go with DM, as I've heard great things about them.

Again, sorry for the newbie questions, I just wanna learn everything I can NOW so that I (hopefully) don't learn the hard and expensive way later.
On my fuel pump hanger I just used this fitting as the adapter for the feed side:

https://www.driftmotion.com/MK3-Fuel-Hardline-AN-6-Adapter-p/dm1675.htm

Some have also drilled 2 holes and used 90 degree bulkhead fittings but those are just a few options to go about it.

On the ethanol content sensor I used the return side because I do not want any restrictions in the main feed fuel line but after the regulator, the fuel pressure is already dropped so a small restriction as that sensor will not bother it too much. Some have a small set up shaped like two y's so the fuel can go around the content sensor and not be restricted in the fuel line. Those Y fittings look like this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI2pjwg7vJ4gIVg4bACh14qgybEAQYAiABEgJx4PD_BwE

I actually left the factory fuel lines still in place and I ran both an6 lines right next to the original factory fuel hard lines.

rocketja15

I see what ya mean. I've been doing more looking on DM's website, and I saw this pump https://www.driftmotion.com/Walbro-F90000274-450LPH-High-Pressure-p/dm3282.htm I figure it would be easier to run this one pump, instead of the dual 255s if it can support my power needs. It says it can support over 600hp to the wheels on e85, which is around where I wanna be (I'm looking for 550-600). Would the little line from the pump to the top of the hat be a restriction though? I could then run -6 line to the AFPR kit. This is the one i'm looking at (https://www.driftmotion.com/Aeromotive-AFPR-Kit-for-Aristo-2JZ-GTE-p/dm2052.htm ) which looks like it mounts directly to the rail, and you run your feed to it, and return from it.

I looked at the hard lines yesterday, and I see where ya mean. Looks like there should be enough room. I could mount the content sensor on the fender, or firewall, and run the return to it, then to the tank.

I'm sorry if I'm not understanding everything and asking too many questions, I'm just trying to get everything sorted out in my head.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
It's definitively good to ask as much as you can and research everything too before you start your build so ask away and we will help the best of our knowledge. That Walbro 450 is the one I run. There is different versions of that fuel pump so make sure you get the F90000274 due to it being the latest version and it having a higher pressure internal relief spring vs the older versions. Watch out for knock-off fuel pumps as there is tons of them out there online. This fuel pump fits good on the stock hanger too:

On the fuel pressure regulator make sure which ever one you go with is rated for e85 because I have seen some that are not rated for that type of fuel.

rocketja15

Gotcha, thanks! I'm probably gonna buy most of my parts from DriftMotion, as I've heard good things about them (except the turbo kits), and their website is fairly easy to use. Thanks again for all the help. I think I've finally got everything for now!

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I mainly used DriftMotion also as my top 3 sites to use along with RockAuto and THMotorsports when I did my build. Don't forget to share your build progress with us :)

rocketja15

Will do! Once I get the transmission back, and get the engine here, I'll probably start a build thread. Thanks again for all the help!